Would you ride one of these?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Would you ride one of these?

Postby cludence » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:29 pm

I was given this recently to be used for a display. The previous owner was concerned about someone riding it and having an accident. I must say, I sat on it and it was enough to put me off. It feels wierd being suspended on a saddle with no seat post. Feels like it would snap the minute you hit a bump.

Wont be taking this one out for a spin, thats for sure!

cludence

by BNA » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:18 am

BNA

Postby GaryF » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:18 am

I always wondered what a softride beam would be like. I have read that you must maintain a very neutral position.
GaryF

Postby cludence » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:12 am

Makes a lovely creaking noise when you sit on it so is very offputting given it is made of carbon fibre.

Karen.
cludence

Postby Jeremy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:01 am

They were mainly used by the triathlon crowd i think....

Looking at it now, it doesnt look like it's height adjustable at all....that'd make it awkward to get a good fit :?
Jeremy

Postby kukamunga » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:03 am

There was a MTB version of one of these, the PowerCurve XC. If I am not mistaken, the male host of this Melbourne Community TV cycling show may have been a Softride sponsored MTB rider in the mid-90s :roll:

Team Ritchey MTB team in the early mid 90s (Frischknecht, Djernis...) won Championships on rigid CrMo MTBs with Softride stems with great success, whilst most other teams were using RockShox/Manitou front suspension. But I digress....

Height is adjustable. Look at that slotted tab in top pic under the 'TR' in 'SOFTRIDE'
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:12 pm

I've seen the MTBs before.

Still wouldn't ride one, they just scream "odd", not in a nice 'bent way either.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:31 pm

Yup, I have one of these "beam" bikes, from 'Jones' of Melbourne according to the stickers. It rides very well if your style of riding uses spinning as oppose to pushing. The creaking noise is from the pivot. Allsop recommend these are serviced and various bits replaced every so often. The creaking can be very unnerving but really it sounds worse than it is. Not that I would dissuade anybody from fitting the service kit, do it! But it is a pivot thing not the beam itself.
Mine is a out and out time-trial or triathalon machine which has caused me a bit of trouble converting it to normal road use. It is very short in the top tube so I have had to fit a very long (for me) steerer and it still feels a bit cramped and the seat a bit forward.
The ride is well, different...., but it really smooths out the crappy country roads around here ;-)

Cheers

Richard
WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:34 pm

Anoher pont, I doubt you are 92 kilo like me Cludance so I reckon you wuld be pretty safe on this bike, even if it does feel a weird to start with ;-)

Cheers

Richar
WyvernRH

Postby cludence » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:39 pm

It has some marks on the saddle support so I suspect it has been knocked at some stage. I dont trust it wouldnt shatter on me.

Karen.
cludence

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:00 pm

Hmm, if the marks are at the 'top' end near the saddle I wouldn't worry too much. All the stress is down the bottom (front) end near the pivot. Abrasions or deep scratches at the front could be bad. I notice the beam is adjusted right down so it might be a bit small for you?

Cheers
Richard

cludence wrote:It has some marks on the saddle support so I suspect it has been knocked at some stage. I dont trust it wouldnt shatter on me.

Karen.
WyvernRH

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:40 pm

Mulger bill wrote: .... they just scream "odd", not in a nice 'bent way either.

Oooooh, you crawler! :shock:

:wink:
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby cludence » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:28 am

The marks are near the top end. I dont trust it. It will be used for display purposes only to be safe. It is also too big for me even when set at the lowest adjustment.

Karen.
cludence

Postby rustychisel » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:57 pm

Send it to me!!!!!

I ALWAYS wanted to convert one into a fixed. Tee hee.
rustychisel

Return to Retro biking