Sorenson Bikes

Hamster

Sorenson Bikes

Postby Hamster » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:20 am

Does anybody here know anything about them and would one be a worthwhile acquisition.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

familyguy

Re: Sorenson Bikes

Postby familyguy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 am

SorenSon. Gold Coast frame builder. Made some quality from what I've read.

http://goldcoast.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff ... Z314514322

Jim

ben_is_fixed

Postby ben_is_fixed » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:34 am

Quality builder. His bikes are well known for their loud paint jobs. Not much info around though

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks guys,

I've just bought myself a Sorenson :D 8) :D .
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:06 pm

^ pics :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Hamster wrote: would one be a worthwhile acquisition.
ANY bike is a worthwhile acquisition in my book :D . Make sure to get some pics up :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:09 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
ANY bike is a worthwhile acquisition in my book :D . Make sure to get some pics up :) .
Sorry but I have to disagree. I once owned a Graecross Pro-Ten, that was NOT a worthwhile acquisition. When I sold it it was my gain and the buyers loss.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:32 pm

ben_is_fixed wrote:Quality builder. His bikes are well known for their loud paint jobs. Not much info around though
I had Sorenson build me a road race frame in about 1992. Can't recall the tubing for sure, but pretty sure it was Columbus EL. I did have Sachs New Success 8s Ergo on it. Not a light bike, but it did ride OK.

At the time I was "sold" on the paint jobs - lots of fluoro, bright colours and fades.

I cannot remember the builder's name (or even if it was "Sorenson" actually), but he was an older gent (60s at the time) of some Nordic extraction (Norway or Denmark). I do recall that his son painted the frames (not very well in my opinion - finish wise). Pretty sure he worked out of a bike shop in Southport, Gold Coast.

I ended up selling mine to a mate, who rode it for a very long time, and thought it was the best steel frame he had ever owned.

I don't recall being that enamoured with it as a bike. Not surprising in that it did follow a beautiful Pinarello Montello (SLX) in Rosso Red.

Worth mentioning that the Sorenson was followed by a Columbus Genius OS road frame made by Joe Cosgrove (Frezoni) - which I still own and will never ever sell. Most pale in comparison.

morini

Postby morini » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:04 pm

I had a Sorenson in the late nineties as well. It rode ok but the rear bridge broke, then about six months later the derailleur hanger snapped off. It was running Shimano 600 which was the first and last Shimano I've ever used on a road bike. The rear derailleur is now lying on the bottom of the Brisbane river after it snapped in half and departed the bike. I sold/gave it to a young bloke I was coaching in rowing. It's probably in Melbourne these days rotting outside the Melb Uni boatshed.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:27 pm

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:34 pm

Hamster wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
Sorry but I have to disagree. I once owned a Graecross Pro-Ten, that was NOT a worthwhile acquisition. When I sold it it was my gain and the buyers loss.
:shock: :shock: How dare you! My Graecross legacy made from solid mild steel bar is one of the greatest bikes ever to grace this world! :lol: .

But on topic, the paint job on that bike is great, guaranteed never to see another like it.

Tornado71

Postby Tornado71 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:39 pm

hi folks,
any info on these bikes much apreciated as i have a track frame that I know little about other than its a great frame and its my size. Oh and the colour-wild. The Sugino Super mighty cranks are dated late 84 but some folk seem to think these colours were not really in use much until the 90's -what say you? Aswell as the "made in Queensland" sticker on the top tube near the seat like all other Soren Sons's it also has "Made in Australia near the headstem end on the opposite side. It has Cinelli bars and stem, and is 525 reynolds .Please excuse the wheels and seat/post combo as I was just mocking up to get an idea. Once I nail the period I want to get the right components to restore.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:20 am

Can't help at all bu that looks sweet!

HLC

Postby HLC » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:18 am

I think it's rubbish and you should sell. To me.

Tornado71

Postby Tornado71 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:52 am

HLC wrote:I think it's rubbish and you should sell. To me.
Ok ,duly noted but please take your place at the end of the line. :)

Will keep you posted as to the progress.

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:35 am

Soren Son frames started appearing around 1989-90, don't recall seeing them much before if at all. A lot of the guys from what was then Surfers Paradise Cycling Club started using them, including Darren Smith, pretty sure Robbie McEwen rode them as well. An old timer from CATS cycling club might be able to help.
Tornado71, it's quite likely yours was built up with those cranks from new, even if it was made in the early 90's and the cranks date from the 80's - back in the day you'd buy the frame and parts seperately or use bits you already had lying around, so having components from of different age was not unusual (you should see the parts mix on my '89 Peugeot!). I guess the question is, do you want to restore it to the way it used to be, or do you want it to be representative of how it might have been if all new parts were used back then? Your bike, your choice, either way I'm sure you'll enjoy it :D . As previously noted Soren Son bikes always seemed to have spectacular paint jobs, I would agree with the "around 1990" guesstimate of age.
edit Just did a bit of digging around, a few sources claim Reynolds 525 tubing was introduced in 1998 as a replacement for 531....525 may well have replaced 531 in that year but I am certain it was available several years before that. My point is I don't think your bike was necessarily made in 1998 or later, it could equally have dated from 1992/93 or thereabouts (I have a vague recollection of a Reynolds catalogue I had about then which included the 525 tubeset, but also listed 531). If I can find my information I'll post again.....

Tornado71

Postby Tornado71 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:40 am

Thankyou for the informative reply. I just want to put it back to the correct period,ie using components that were most likely used when this bike was built.If I can find out what it had exactly through some miracle that would be preferred .

Tornado71

Postby Tornado71 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:28 pm

operational and very nice to ride. THe pedals it arrived with were the original TIME challenge Pro's and I dont have shoes or cleats to use them but would love to find some to keep it as it was. To get a ride or two on it I ghetto'd some pedals.Very tight frame.

lukevl

Postby lukevl » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:07 pm

I have recently resurrected my late father's Sorenson. I think it was built around '91 and it lay dormant for many years until last week. Original drivetrain (new chain), crank, saddle, bars, shifters. I still have the original Look pedals and one bent Mavic rim. Very nice bike to ride.

Sorry about the photo quality

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:21 pm

lukevl wrote:I have recently resurrected my late father's Sorenson. I think it was built around '91 and it lay dormant for many years until last week. Original drivetrain (new chain), crank, saddle, bars, shifters. I still have the original Look pedals and one bent Mavic rim. Very nice bike to ride.
Wow that is a big frame.
big but beautiful. :)

lukevl

Postby lukevl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Yeah it was made for my dad who was 6'4" and I'm 6'7" so it's great.

b1

Postby b1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:03 pm

I've lined up a steel bike frame which I think is a Sorenson. No decals, but the lugs have 's' cut out in them. Can any Sorenson owners or knowledgable folk assist.

I'm also planning to have some Sorenson decals printed up. Would be helpful if a Sorenson owner could take some close-up pics of the frame decals and post them up.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:11 pm

i've not seen "S" cutouts on a Sorenson before.

b1

Postby b1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:23 pm

Here's a pic of one one of the 's' cutouts on the top tube / head tube lug:

Anyone recognise it, or can identify it as a sorenson or other?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk