Current thinking on new 'retro' rims?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Postby familyguy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:21 pm

Whats the current thinking on new 'retro' rims for a more classic wheel build appearance?

I've got a project in the pipeline, and it will need suitable wheels. Neither of the wheelsets I have and could use will have that certain je ne sais quoi. One is Shimano, and its intended to be a Campy build. The other is Campy, red hubs, and black spokes, which I find naff on certain steel frames. But enough high-horsing.

The Mavic Open Pro/good hub combo springs up a lot, but I dont see many about. Has anybody used the newer Open Sport rims as yet? As Mavic says, it's "a proud descendant of MA2, MA40 and MA3", so all good there. I dont really want a deep rim, like the CXP 22 and 33. I have a 32h Campy Veloce 10-speed rear hub that I can build into a wheel, as well as a front 32h Athena (currently in a wheel which I'd happily chop out and rebuild).

The options I can see so far:
Open Pro
Open Sport
H Plus Son TB 14's ano (looks like they're not silver like an MA2?)
DT RR 415's in silver (seem pretty exxy by comparison)
Velocity A23
Velocity Razor 700

Any others?

Jim
familyguy

by BNA » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:39 pm

BNA

Re: Current thinking on new 'retro' rims?

Postby jonbays » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Well for my old 27" style steel framed downtube shifter bikes I built up some new old 6 speed MTB cluster wheels with phil wood hubs and velocity razor rims which look quite retro.
jonbays

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:22 pm

My mates bike has 36 hole, silver Open Sports and they look pretty good. It looks a little more retro to me than the Open Pro. A little wider than the open pro and a slightly flater profile.
singlespeedscott

Postby munga » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:41 pm

sun M13II ?
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby beachbum » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:16 pm

tb14 is in a class above the rest IMHO
beachbum

Postby Velo13 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:20 pm

I can vouch for Velocity A23s, strong, light, cheapish, and work well with 25 and larger tyres. Silver is available as well.
Velo13

Postby spirito » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:33 pm

familyguy wrote:

Open Pro
Velocity Razor 700

I've built with both these rims and prefer the Razor's .. I think they're a great rim and would much rather buy and Aussie made product if given the choice. I haven't as yet tried the h+son but might do as I've read/heard good things.

The A23 is quite a different rim to all your other options and not exactly a classic profile but I think it's probably the best rim in terms of weight, strength and design.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.
spirito

Postby familyguy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Good feedback y'all, thanks. I'll look at the Razor a little more seriously, it seems to fit the profile and look quite well so far.

Are the H Plus likely to be let down by the fact they have a non-machined sidewall? They're in a price class above too, so maybe that'll cross them out.

Jim
Last edited by familyguy on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
familyguy

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:45 pm

Razors look the goods to my eye.
BRLVR.v2

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Ambrosio Synthesis Super Professional's. A few pairs going around on ebay atm
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby spirito » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Here's some pics of Velocity Razor's to get a better idea. They're not quite a true square section but very close and single eyletted. They are quite round, more so than the Mavic Open Pro's I've built up. They look a top quality item and as I mentioned made in Oz.

Pics show a non machined rim with original anodizing and one that I've cooked up (stripped the anodizing) and polished to a satin finish by hand. I don't recommend the latter unless you crazy, love toxic chemicals and like making a mess of your clothes.

I'd recommend ordering the standard silver anodized rim with a machined sidewall (factory). Most any local bike shop in Australia can order them for you and Velocity also make their own branded modern cassette hubs in both Shimano and Campagnolo spline patterns if you'd rather a complete wheel at an affordable price.

Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.
spirito

Postby Stuey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Those Razors look the goods.

Can you tell me what the problem is with the anodizing; I assume you mean with rim brakes? My Giant Cadex came with rim brakes and anodized wheels (including the braking surface) as stock.
Stuey

Postby spirito » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Stuey wrote:

Can you tell me what the problem is with the anodizing ...

Nothing. I stripped the anodizing on one of the rims and polished it to match it to an older 40h rim from another manufacturer, in effect making a 32/40h pair of rims for an older set of hubs. Otherwise I don't mind leaving the rims as per factory.
spirito

Postby Stuey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:17 pm

Ahh, cheers. It's just that Jim mentioned the machined walls in his last post, and then your post made me think there's an issue with anodised braking surfaces.

Thanks

Stu
Stuey

Postby familyguy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:36 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:Ambrosio Synthesis Super Professional's. A few pairs going around on ebay atm

Only available as tubs it seems? The silver ones look good, priced well.

spirito wrote:Here's some pics of Velocity Razor's to get a better idea.

Champion effort, thanks for that. They look very close to what I'd envisioned. Not quite the old MA2 section, with just a little height around the edges. That anodised look and section with machined sidewalls would be the go. I'd probably get them built onto my silver hubs as first option.

Stuey wrote:Those Razors look the goods.

Can you tell me what the problem is with the anodizing; I assume you mean with rim brakes? My Giant Cadex came with rim brakes and anodized wheels (including the braking surface) as stock.

Its not that I dont trust anosided braking surfaces, but my personal preference is machined, for looks and friction. The old Mavic Module E rims (non-machined) I had lost a bit of stopping power in the wet, but anodising and rim tech has come on a long way since then.

Jim
familyguy

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:14 am

I ended lobbing a pair of Velocity Twin Hollows onto my pair of Suntour Sprint 900 hubs. Main reason was that they were the right price but they also kind of matched the profile of the original tubular Araya rims that they came with...except the new rims were silver whereas the Araya rims are black. Oh well.

One other thing I found was that the original sealed bearings did not like sitting around for nearly twenty years. Despite a clean up and re-grease they did not come good - OK but not good. New bearings set me back just under $25 so I shouldn't have even bothered trying to sort the originals. Only other downside was getting the old bearings out as they can not be pushed out from the back side like with many modern hubs - ended up acquiring a blind bearing removal kit from T7. So now I can 'afford' to replace bearings as often as I like. :roll:
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Postby familyguy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Back from the DEAD, baby!

Anyone know where to get Sun M13 rims in 27" in Aus?? I don't really want to have to import two with shipping from the US, which seems to be the only source.

Jim
familyguy

Postby rebilda » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:46 pm

familyguy wrote:Back from the DEAD, baby!

Anyone know where to get Sun M13 rims in 27" in Aus?? I don't really want to have to import two with shipping from the US, which seems to be the only source.

Jim

When I built up the wheels for my 1949 Track bike, I used some Mailard, 36 hole, large flange hubs (ebay) and a bought some Sun M13 rims, but had to get them in from the U.S. of A. They were cheap, but the freight brought them in line with local prices.
I wasnt really conserned with this because they really do have that old school charm about them, though, unfortunately the judges at the Sydney Classic Bike Show didnt see it that way :oops:

I am quite happy with the look, regardless. :)

(Mine are 700c not 27")
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2
rebilda

Postby familyguy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Good to hear. I could run 700, but would rather the correct 27" size for the Fuji. The M13 seems to be the nicest narrower retro. The CR-18's look too wide for a 27x1 copy.

Jim
familyguy

Postby munga » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Retro rim thread to Velo13. come in, Velo13.
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby Dan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:23 am

Ambrosio Excellight SSC. Probably not new retro, and 700C in 28h or 32h, but the eyeletting is nice and the font is a bit retro.
Dan

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:04 am

Velo Orange has lots of retro gear including hubs and rims.
Last edited by RonK on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Dan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:31 am

RonK wrote:[url=veloorange.com]Velo Orange[/url] has lots of retro gear including hubs and rims.

+1. Wait a fortnight until the USD tanks, though.
Dan

Postby familyguy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Yeah, I'd like the Ambrosio rims, but def. has to be 27" for this build. Will poke around VO and see what happens.

Jim
familyguy

Postby rogerrabbit » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Why not find a good set of genuine old MA2 or Module E rims? In 27" they are not that hard to find.

How many spoke holes do you need? I do have a nice set of old Fiamme yellow label 27" clinchers in 36h - more of a sports rim - if you are interested. I might also have some narrower Mavic rims too.

Cheers
Roger
rogerrabbit

Next

Return to Retro biking