Puch ladies bike restoration

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Puch ladies bike restoration

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:44 am

I picked this bike up from the tip over a year ago and have finally decided to restore it. Started to strip it last night, all the bits are very good quality. Cotter pin cranks came off very easily which i wasn't expecting. Has Sachs Huret Commander indexed 5 speed, and 26 x 1-3/8 wheels.

Even the wheel nuts are Puch branded.

When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

by BNA » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:28 am

BNA

Re: Puch ladies bike restoration

Postby mark field » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:28 am

i will be keenly watching this resto, whats the plan?
steel is the real deal.
mark field

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:27 am

The rims and hubs are in very good shape so just a bit of a clean and polish required which will make a nice easy start. Incidentally, the freewheel (which i'm assuming is Sachs) is splined on the inside similar to a Shimano one but is significantly smaller, so my Shimano tool won't fit, are the Sachs ones still available?

The first thing i've had a crack at was the cranks, a lot of surface rust which would have gone with vinegar but the chrome is in very poor condition and lifting in a lot of places. Tried sandblasting at work first but with the fine sand we use it didn't achieve much beyond removing the rust. Gave it a dip in 50:50 diluted Hydrochloric but that didn't do much either. I'm now looking at just getting it on the wire wheel to get back to the bare metal and then getting it replated.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Before pic of the cranks. They look basically the same now, just without the rust. The peeling, sharp edged flakes of chrome are the same.

ldrcycles

Postby mark field » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:01 pm

ldrcycles wrote:The rims and hubs are in very good shape so just a bit of a clean and polish required which will make a nice easy start. Incidentally, the freewheel (which i'm assuming is Sachs) is splined on the inside similar to a Shimano one but is significantly smaller, so my Shimano tool won't fit, are the Sachs ones still available?

The first thing i've had a crack at was the cranks, a lot of surface rust which would have gone with vinegar but the chrome is in very poor condition and lifting in a lot of places. Tried sandblasting at work first but with the fine sand we use it didn't achieve much beyond removing the rust. Gave it a dip in 50:50 diluted Hydrochloric but that didn't do much either. I'm now looking at just getting it on the wire wheel to get back to the bare metal and then getting it replated.

if you want to re-plate then dont touch, as they can do the reverse of chrome plating which removes the old chrome finish and then they can take it from there. This was told to me by the guys that do all my plating at Enware in Taren Point.
steel is the real deal.
mark field

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks for the tip, i'll ring the closest electroplating place and have a chat to them then. Are there any other options besides rechroming? On a few cheap one piece cranks recently i've just taken it back to the bare metal then primed and painted with good results, but i think that might look wrong.
ldrcycles

Postby munga » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:05 am

might be more economical to source new cranks? are the existing one's puch specific in any way?

if you go painting cranks and whatnot, it's not going to help with the sale price at all. it'd be like powdercoating the bumpers on an e-type jag
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby xcx » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:19 pm

Looks similar to the bike I did up for my girlfriend.

xcx

Postby mark field » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:11 am

what's that thing behind the head tube???? looks like an oil port or something.
steel is the real deal.
mark field

Postby damhooligan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:23 am

xcx wrote:Looks similar to the bike I did up for my girlfriend.

That's a very nice looking puch.. 8)
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:24 am

mark field wrote:i will be keenly watching this resto, whats the plan?

Same here..

That's a nice bike.. 8)
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
damhooligan

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:31 am

mark field wrote:what's that thing behind the head tube???? looks like an oil port or something.

It's a tab for a dynamo light i think[quote="xcx"]Looks similar to the bike I did up for my girlfriend.

[img]<A class=vglnk title="Link added by VigLink" href="http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/crimsonandcloveroverandover/DSC02928.jpg[/img" target=_blank rel=nofollow vglnk_1320100150031="3">http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/crimsonandcloveroverandover/DSC02928.jpg[/img</A>]

Very nice, has the same unusual saddle rails as mine. Whats the RD on that one?
ldrcycles

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:24 pm

Thread resurrection time. I missed out on one of these at the tip shop yesterday. Almost identical to the one in the OP (down to the colour) but in exceptional condition for its age. Not even any rust on the fork crown and only minor surface rust on the mudguards. Tyres even looked serviceable and the plastics like the rear guard mounted light/reflector were all intact and in good nick except the little carrier thing inside the rear triangle had a crack in it. Didnt know much about puch at the time, saw it was gaspipe tubes and tossed it up in my mind. Had the little one with me, no cash on me and no tools to get it in the boot so passed it up at $40. Came to my senses an hour or two later, got my sister to watch junior and went belting back there via the ATM.

It was goneski :x :cry: :x :evil:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:22 pm

If you lived closer I know where you could get another one :wink: .

Yep over a year and a half later and it still hasn't progressed at all, just keeps getting pushed down the list. She's stripped down with the parts in a box and the frameset hanging in the shed, just patiently waiting :) .
ldrcycles

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:51 pm

ldrcycles wrote:If you lived closer I know where you could get another one :wink: .

Yep over a year and a half later and it still hasn't progressed at all, just keeps getting pushed down the list. She's stripped down with the parts in a box and the frameset hanging in the shed, just patiently waiting :) .

Thanks but I need another project like a hole in the head, having trouble finding the time to finish my apollo. The main attraction was the condition, ive never seen a tip shop bike in that sort of nick. Couldve had it done and running in a few hours.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Retro biking