Restoring a 1959 Speedwell - opinions sought

Torana68

Re: Restoring a 1959 Speedwell - opinions sought

Postby Torana68 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:15 pm

The Fixer wrote:Just arrived at the Men's Shed - this old Speedwell, which appears to be maybe mid-fifties (?). Any ideas re age and original specs?
best idea would be your own thread but , check the date on the rear hub and there is a date code on the Williams cranks, photos are not the best but looks to be pre '51 not sure by how much, frame number?
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Sat May 30, 2015 1:40 am

I can't check the hub, it's gone. That's a 'modern' wheel I bunged in just for the pix. But I will check
the cranks. The bike is covered in very hard grease/oil around the BB, so will need to be cleaned
before a number surfaces (unless it's somewhere else altogether, I'll check).

I'll start a thread and post some better pics once I've done that.

I won't be repainting it, because I like to keep the original patina, although it will be thoroughly
cleaned and all rust removed. Of course, mechanically it will be brought up to A1 condition. If
you've seen the pics of my Satellite you'll have an idea what I'm aiming for. Unlike the Satellite
which I rebuilt as a 10-speed, this one will run an SA 3-speed as was apparently originally fitted.

Sorry about the pics, I have a low monthly limit so posted a 6-in-1 with all photos seriously
reduced in size.

Here's one which should be a bit clearer...

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

petie

Postby petie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:03 am

Wow, lovely resto. I feel bad that I've molested mine now, but the years have been less kind to mine.

StuMac

Postby StuMac » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:29 am

Hi

i was wondering if you have any other photos of this bike? I have just acquired a frame that looks the same.

Cheers
Stew

The Fixer wrote:
Fri May 29, 2015 7:48 pm
Just arrived at the Men's Shed - this old Speedwell, which appears to be maybe mid-fifties (?).

It appears to be a Super Sports (?), and although quite rough, it seems to be mostly original and
could, with the correct rear wheel, actually be ridden. Most of the rust is worse than it looks
and much of the original paint remains.

The twin flags on the headstock and fork-legs are interesting...

Any ideas re age and original specs?