Brisbane history anyone?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Brisbane history anyone?

Postby MountGower » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:09 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountGower

by BNA » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:33 pm

BNA

Postby stevendavid75 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:33 pm

I suspect this may be a cheaper model, might he have just badged a few "floor stock" frames
here is another one for sale

stevendavid75

Postby cludence » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:36 pm

I'm no expert but I am guessing no one has jumped on it as it is not super old and appears to be a low range model. Had it been a track bike, it would be a different story and would have sold.

A friend of mine used to stay at Tom's place many years ago. Apparently he was quite a joker and was known for telling people he made his own counterfit money and thats how he managed to afford such a large house. He had the machine and would put a new note in it when no one was looking, then turn the handle so they saw a brand new note come out the other end. It fooled many people.

I have one of his track bikes, would have been great to meet him. Cant say I know anyone who can replicate the linework he used to do.

Karen.
cludence

Postby MountGower » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:38 pm

MountGower

Postby cludence » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:29 pm

A number of his bikes turn up on ebay from time to time. My frame was found at the tip up there for $5 so I am guessing he sold quite a number of them in his time.

Karen.
cludence

Postby MountGower » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:58 pm

MountGower

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:23 pm

MountGower wrote:G'day

I've noticed this bike on eBay. It's been listed before and not sold. They can't even get $50 for it.

It doesn't take much to see why it isn't geting a lot of bids.

It looks to be quite original & is advertised as a 'Racing' bike, yet the rust on the front rim tells us that it's steel & the front hub is of equal quality, making the wheel eligible as a boat anchor while the cottered steel crank & rusty leg protector are not what you would expect to see on any 'racing bike'.
The generator & tail light appear to be mounted on a brazed-on lug, something every race bike should have i'm sure, & of course innefectual shorty mudguards & brakes with 'safety levers' just scream 70's/80's K Mart quality to me. The rear rack just sets off the racer image perfectly.
It was built to a price to service a particular segment of the market & looks to have done that job admirably for quite a while

With all this quality componentry, including the saddle, it remains only to be debated which brand of steam pipe was used in the frame.
I'm sure that it looked very nice when it was new & gave somebody a lot of pleasure as a dependable commuter or suburban transport device but the current bid price reflects pretty much what the market seems to think it's actually worth. I would agree.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
Kid_Carbine

Postby MountGower » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:21 pm

MountGower

Postby stevendavid75 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:27 pm

Very nicely put KC!

I bet if someone pulled it apart and sold the frame they would get twice as much for it!
stevendavid75

Postby Kid_Carbine » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:36 pm

MountGower wrote:So your keen on it then?

LOL, yeah, I have my 4 digit bid [including cents & starting with a zero] ready to go.

In most instances, pulling it down to the bare frame would probably disguise its origins, but that brazed-on generator mount would be a dead giveaway for me.

It's probably a good bike needing only a good clean, a full service & a few service spares [like tyres] to return it to full functionality & it would provide great transport to the shop, the pub, the pool or the local footy match, but a quality race bike it never was & never will be.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
Kid_Carbine

Postby winona_rider » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:41 pm

just saw a tom wallace special at bicycle revolution - it was just a frame, andwas one of those odd cross-shaped frames...
also saw a malvern star 1 star roadster. wasn't in too bad condition...
winona_rider

Return to Retro biking