I has a project

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:55 pm

Oh dear, another convert to the dark side :lol:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:42 pm

What gives??? Three pics but only one with a bike.

OOPS, oh yeah, there it is. Hmmmm, you're doing allright for yourself there. Slick ride, model for a roomie, now that's smoooooth.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

531db

Postby 531db » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:06 am

WyvernRH wrote:
Kid_Carbine wrote:This headlight bracket mounting point is so widely seen on British bikes from the 30's through to the 60's [& probably beyond in both directions] that I had at one time formed the opinion that they might have been a legal requirement over there.
<snip>I know that if I should ever be fortunate enough to secure a top end Hobbs, Bates, Hetchins or other truly classic frame the first thing to go will be any of these ghastly brazed-on additions that the Brits seem to think are so necessary, quote]

Erm, yes the lamp braket was a legal requirement for a long time, plus your racing bike was often your commuting bike in those days. I will warn you that if you do ever aquire a top quality 40s/50s Brit frame and mutilate it by removing the lamp bracket and mudguard eyes I will have no hesitation in dobbing you in to the VCC in the UK who will no doubt send over a highly efficient hit man to persuade you of your folly ;-)
No, the lamp bracket braze on was never a legal requirement in the UK. The UK had/has legal requirements in relation to lighting/reflectors/white patches on mudguards/bells etc but never regarding braze ons.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:49 am

531db wrote:[quote="WyvernRHErm, yes the lamp braket was a legal requirement for a long time, plus your racing bike was often your commuting bike in those days.
No, the lamp bracket braze on was never a legal requirement in the UK. The UK had/has legal requirements in relation to lighting/reflectors/white patches on mudguards/bells etc but never regarding braze ons.[/quote]

Yup, totally correct, that was sloppy and hasty phrasing. What I should have said was to be out and about legally after lighting up time you need a front light affixed to the bicycle and thus a lamp bracket of some sort. Some fitted in the headset stack, some attached to the handlebar clamp bolt and some clamped to the r/h fork blade where the much discussed braze-on fits. There were also some really dodgy lamp mounts that clipped over the handlebars that wobbled, slipped, scratched everything and were generally useless.
Now with the crappy lamps then available (Ever Ready electric or carbide)the best place to put a lamp to get maximum light spread and see where you are going is low down near the road surface ie the fork blade. (this is the opposite of the 'to be seen by others' position which is high up) The clamp on the fork brackets were deadly as they had a habit of loosening on rough surfaces and swinging into the front wheel, also marked the paint and metal. The other types were either permanant or hard to remove heavy bits of steel bolted to the frame or fittings. If you had the fork braze on you had the light in the right position and could easily remove the lamp bracket with one bolt when you got to the time trial and all that was left was a relatively light braze-on.
Remember, you normally cycled to the meeting with your tubs on the carriers, the meetings started VERY early in the morning and therefore it was dark when you left home.

Cheers

Richard