Viners - real deal or sticker job?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Postby vaeske » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Chaps,

Need some assistance here, I'm in the middle of a deal to buy a viner. Stickers say its a special professional but i'm not convinced yet.

I've yet to get my hands on the serial number or see the bottom bracket to see if there are any Stars or Crosses but there certainly isn't any on the tube, forks or lugs.

Is there anything else I can find out to see if its the real deal or a sticker job? the tubing only says Tubi Speciali in Acciaio which is really "special steel tubing" and doesn't say columbus or anything. its got shimano 600 F&R derailleurs, french st entinne drop bars and CLB F&R brake calipers, line panto'ed seat tube but thats about it.

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated. I'll post some more photos when i get home.

Cheers
Ethan
vaeske

by BNA » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:15 am

BNA

Re: Viners - real deal or sticker job?

Postby vaeske » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:15 am

I've uploaded some photos.
vaeske

Postby elantra » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:12 am

Looks very genuine and very stylish.
Good luck looks like it needs your input :D
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby Mustang » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:51 am

I own a Viner but new, seems genuine, why would someone choose the unusual name of "Viner" just to sell an old bike?
Let me know if you don't buy it?
Mustang

Postby vaeske » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:06 am

thanks for your input guys, i appreciate it. its just i thought all viners would have the stars and crosses on the lugs especially on the fork, but maybe they did other bikes without them.

I'm curious because who puts a "special professional" sticker there? If you look at this picture see how the stickers are middle.

well i'm curious because i don't know what period parts would be on the bike now? owner says they picked it up in a race bike shop in the city in the 80s.
vaeske

Postby morini » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:00 am

You might have seen this already but it seems real Viners are pantographed.
http://vineristi.wordpress.com/2011/09/ ... d-crosses/

I have a frame similar to yours and it looks the same as a number of D'acorrdis I've seen. Funny enough mine has Colnago stickers. A Brisbane frame builder told me, and this story was corroborated by another shop in Geelong, that these bikes were imported by a well known importer. He called them 'trade frames'. They are good quality, with Campag or Columbus dropouts, but lower spec tubing. The size of the seat post is usually the give away. If it's 27.2 then your onto something exotic. They often have the frame tube length size stamped under the BB and sometimes have a letter signifying the thread type. Mine like yours uses lugs with heart cut outs but then so did a million other frames. Fish around here and compare the two. I'd love to find out the identifying code myself.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=41109&start=25#p626615
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9046&p=122314&hilit=+Ricardo+Daccordi+frame..+%2Aw%2F+pics%2A#p122314

I bought a new Viner Special Professional in 1986 and it came with Shimano 600. Really nice bike from memory.

Cheers
Chris
morini

Postby koen » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:54 am

It looks exactly like my Daccordi (from about 1981). It (Daccordi) may also be one of those factory jobs but it feels nicer to ride and sprint than my Colnago so I guess it might affect value but you are still talking about a nice bike.
koen

Postby rogerrabbit » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:53 pm

I have had two Viner Special Professionals. One was a top end model and the other was identical to yours, apart from being red.

It is a Viner, but it is a mid- range model with seamed tubing and a 26.4 seat post rather than the seamless tubing and a 27.2 seat post of the higher end Special Professional.

Your one is still a nice frame and the tubing's still good quality, something equivalent to Reynolds 501.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers
Roger
rogerrabbit

Return to Retro biking