Raleigh Appreciation Society

rapier

Re: Raleigh Appreciation Society

Postby rapier » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:18 pm

Very excited to have picked up this Raleigh Royale with Reynolds 531 tubing. Never had a bike made of any Reynolds tubing so this will be great to add to the collection and fun to ride. Not sure exactly what direction I will go with the build, but I'm thinking of using a shimano 600 arabesque groupset. I don't have the 600 brakes, should I stick with the original weinmann centrepulls or source some 600 brakes? which ones have better stopping power?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:05 pm

has it a serial number?
and what year was the frame made?
http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html

rapier

Postby rapier » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:40 am

Bottom bracket has serial number WD3001951, so would that suggest it was made at Worksop in March 1973?

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:22 am

I don't remember this model being around in the 70's but it was definitely around in the 80's cos I considered buying one.
IIRC Raleigh cycled the year digit every decade so the 3 may be 1983?
In this case it would have been made at Nottingham I would suggest.

Richard

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:19 am

Richard, correct recollection!
W=Worksop (1967-1980), Nottingham after 1981, following closure of Worksop factory. Discontinued in 1990.
so a 1983 build.
catalogue page
and specifications
What parts are missing to make it period correct build?

the consensus is that Weinmann centrepulls work well if you put new pads on. And the general recommendation is for Koolstop inserts. This is what I will get once I have located some Weinmann brake shoes.

Aldavid

Postby Aldavid » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:44 am

If I promise to behave can I pls join your reveered society. Just scored myself what I believe to be a 1987 raleigh cadet 12 in team colours out of the uk. Not a particularly high end bike but fills my desire for an iconic english frame to go with my italian Abeni, my aussie Cecil Walker and yet unfound purchase of a french puegot.
It was meant to be. The day I purchased I discovered that a guy visiting where I live from england just happens to live in exactly the same town as my new bike. Postage was to be $250 aus. This new best friend has now flown home and will collect it, box it and send to me free of charge as he works in the post office. Looking fwd to its arrival.
My lucky day or what.
If you dont know where you are going...how will you know when you get there !

rapier

Postby rapier » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:36 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:Richard, correct recollection!
W=Worksop (1967-1980), Nottingham after 1981, following closure of Worksop factory. Discontinued in 1990.
so a 1983 build.
catalogue page
and specifications
What parts are missing to make it period correct build?

the consensus is that Weinmann centrepulls work well if you put new pads on. And the general recommendation is for Koolstop inserts. This is what I will get once I have located some Weinmann brake shoes.
That would make more sense. I usually associate chrome tipped forks with the 70s, but it didnt look old enough to be '73. It is missing the SR custom cranks, suntour ratchet downtube shifters, raleigh (Suntour vgt) front and rear derailleur. Thanks for finding those catalogues. If you're after weinmann brake shoes, I'm pretty sure they have some at the Adelaide Community Bicycle Workshop on Franklin Street in their "Vintage" box.

Cheers,
Dale

Aldavid

Postby Aldavid » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:47 am

Aldavid wrote:If I promise to behave can I pls join your reveered society. Just scored myself what I believe to be a 1987 raleigh cadet 12 in team colours out of the uk. Not a particularly high end bike but fills my desire for an iconic english frame to go with my italian Abeni, my aussie Cecil Walker and yet unfound purchase of a french puegot.
It was meant to be. The day I purchased I discovered that a guy visiting where I live from england just happens to live in exactly the same town as my new bike. Postage was to be $250 aus. This new best friend has now flown home and will collect it, box it and send to me free of charge as he works in the post office. Looking fwd to its arrival.
My lucky day or what.
So it appears from the numbers on this bike BS6 1021/1. That we have a dec built bike from 86. Built in the "unknown but reported" factory.
Does any body have any more info on the "B" location. Will drive me nuts not knowing.

Looking fwd to its arrival here in aus. It will be an as factory produced restoration correct according to the catalogue of the day.
It appears it has had alterations over the years. Cranks, crank axle, rear wheel, derailluer and suicide levers are non original. Alloy bars, raleigh stem, headset, weinmann brakes and Maillard front hubs and rim are as it came. Fork appear to be reynolds 531 according to the stickers which were from the next model up.
Happy for any input from those in the know. This will be my first english bike. It will go with my Italian "abeni", australian "cecil walker: and yet to find french peugeot or gitane.

Cheers :!:
If you dont know where you are going...how will you know when you get there !

Madrider

Postby Madrider » Fri May 20, 2016 6:41 pm

Latest addition to the stable

Raleigh Team Ti - circa 1981/82 - Reynolds 753 #SB4705. Built in the Raleigh SBDU skunk works
Unfortunately has a miss matched 531 fork although still SBDU

This one has been a bit of a grail for me

Not even actually ridden as yet and will need to sort the fit before changing Bar Tape to black & maybe shorten the brake cables etc for those that are fussy about those sort of things (me included)

Also posted in Lets see what you got thread

ImageIMAG1152[1] by aussierider43, on Flickr

Leedy

Postby Leedy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Isildur wrote:Hi All,
I've been directed to here from Rotorburn, due to the nature of my enquiry. I was hoping to get a little bit of history help from the fellowship.

I was helping out my mother-in-law today with a bunch of things around her house. Among other things, she mentioned she had a couple of old folding bikes from when her and her husband did some travelling around Australia. As she's no longer using them at all, she was wondering if it was worth trying to sell them, or just go and donate them straight away. The reason they're no longer needed is that her husband passed away a few months ago and she wanting to clear some stuff out.

I figured I'd have a look at them, and see if there was anything that really needed doing. I pulled them from the garage, and for the most part they're in pretty good condition. The hubs and BB still spin completely freely, with no hint of drag and/or binding. Although the chains had a bit of surface rust, a quick clean up and lube saw them looking quite fine! No stiff links, nothing to worry about there. I gave the bikes a good cleaning over today, and once done they were riding great (for a tiny, folding, 14" wheeled bike).

The only concern for me was the spokes (see pictured). The bikes, although stored well (bagged and hidden), have developed a little bit of corrosion on the spokes - one of the caveats of living near the beach. Other than that, the tyres looked fine (no cracking or other degradation) and other that the odd bit of surface rust on some of the chromed bits and a few nicks in the paint work, they're looking quite nice.

The defining marks on the bikes that I could find are:
- Bridgestone Picnica Chain Guard
- "The Raleigh Co" head badge
- Shimano G K rear hubs
- Shimano Primus-C rear brake, part code 6415 (looks a bit like a drum brake)
- Shimano 8722 XC front hubs
- 33E or 83E marking on the fork of each bike, along with "1 BS"
- Bridgestone HT Nylon 14"x1.75 tyres
- Oh, and they're bloody heavy! Full steel no doubt, almost as heavy as my DH bike ;)
- And the frame Serial #'s.

Here's the real question though... Are they worth anything? Is it possible to determine the age? Is it worth putting any more effort into really tidying these up and restoring them to their former glory? I've searched around all evening, and I can't really find any decent info on the history of these bikes. There seems to be plenty on the Raleigh "Twenty" series (and 16" series too), but although these bikes are Raleigh badged, there's not a whole lot of info to be found.

Thanks in advance for all of your help! ;) :D

Image Image Image Image Image Image
I know it was posted 6years ago. Do you still have them in? I am interested in if on sale.

flying dragon

Postby flying dragon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:14 pm

Here's my '63 DL-1 that I rebuilt last year. 28 x 1 1/2" wheels (635mm) and rod operated 90mm drum brakes. The quadrant shifter is not original to the bike but I think looks the part. The mudguards still need restoration work, and the fully enclosed chaincase is missing an access panel. It's great to ride as is, and the rake and 3 speeds make it a fun ride.

pedalleur

Postby pedalleur » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:05 pm

I picked up this today for $35, Grand Prix, yeah.. they're not that rare, but what i like about it is it's totally original, my size; and it's pretty much the same bike i bought new in the 70s
It'll get a complete a rust removal bath, then i might just go rat rod and paint the frame in clear

Pablo M

Frame Serial Number - Vintage Raleigh

Postby Pablo M » Tue May 12, 2020 3:19 pm

Hi !

Could you please help me to understand the following Serial Number, engraved on the left side of my Raliegh Frame (seat flange - left side).

SK

Many thanks!

P!N20

Re: Frame Serial Number - Vintage Raleigh

Postby P!N20 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:27 pm

Pablo M wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:19 pm
Hi !

Could you please help me to understand the following Serial Number, engraved on the left side of my Raliegh Frame (seat flange - left side).

SK

Many thanks!

Got a picture? Is it really old?

Convention #2 (1948-195?):
4-5 digits followed by two letters (or, for the 28"-wheel models, two letters followed by 4-5 digits). e.g.: "12345AB," or "AB12345." Serial "rolls over" when numerals are used up - without rhyme or reason relating to month or year - in the same fashion as an odometer. This convention might have been used in 1947 as well, however, we have not found any Raleigh examples from 1947 so far that exhibit this serial system.

Convention #3 (1954-?):
This convention remains still largely unidentified, though it appears to follow an identical format to convention #2; e.g., "12345RA." However, the first letter in the serial, "R," appears to remain for the entire run of this system. The exact specifics of this system remain a mystery.

From here.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Wed May 13, 2020 11:29 am

I haven't posted any photos on here since photobucket kicked the bucket, but didn't know about the Raleigh appreciation society!

My first bike was a bronze coloured Raleigh 20 and when I saw this old Medale, I snapped it up as a project. I know it may not seem worth the time and expense, but I really enjoyed my first vintage restoration and love the long head tube and upright riding position.

Before: Image

After: Image

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed May 13, 2020 6:55 pm

redsonic wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:29 am
I haven't posted any photos on here since photobucket kicked the bucket, but didn't know about the Raleigh appreciation society!

My first bike was a bronze coloured Raleigh 20 and when I saw this old Medale, I snapped it up as a project. I know it may not seem worth the time and expense, but I really enjoyed my first vintage restoration and love the long head tube and upright riding position.

Before: Image

After: Image
Love it. I have a light olive green Medale12 in the bike room, will get similar treatment.

Very nice job RedSonic, love your work.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

joncoleman

Postby joncoleman » Mon May 18, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi Folks: Some info on a bike that came across my workshop. It's lovely, but a bit too big for me (170cm tall).

I'd love some help identifying what style, and what year?

Details:
Large Raleigh men's bike (24")

Stamped on Right Dropout: "MIC"
Stamped on derailleur: "4532"
Stamped on bottom bracket: "M3-J2444"

It has a clamp on cable guide, going above the bottom bracket

Looks like the rear hub was replaced at some time, has a generic hub laced into steel 27" wheel.
Front has nice hub, (9) 27" steel wheel.

Cotter pinned cranks.
Has plastic coated friction shifters on down tube.

Lovely butted frame with riveted on badge.
Front tyre is a bit dodgy, about 400 billion years old!
Missing the front derailleur.. :( will look for a suntour one somehwere.

Pics for interest: https://photos.app.goo.gl/aHggvbnsRD7QHKQU8

joncoleman

Postby joncoleman » Tue May 19, 2020 8:48 am

joncoleman wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:17 pm

Stamped on Right Dropout: "MIC"
according to this post: viewtopic.php?t=24964#p359185

MIC is Merida Industries - so probably 1980's. Will investigate further.

Also found out M3-J24444 is "Malaysia made" and possibly July 1982, 444'th frame made that year?

<edit> just found a sticker "Made in Taiwan". OK..
Last edited by joncoleman on Tue May 19, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 19, 2020 9:20 am

Export Raleigh bikes can be a bit weird, with some being made in Sth Africa, the US/Canada. Some Aus Raleighs were re-stickered trade frames and don't fit any known Raleigh numbering convention although some of the high-end stuff was still Nottingham/Worksop made.

I think JonColeman is right, this sounds like it may be a Taiwanese trade frame. Not a bad thing though.

joncoleman

Postby joncoleman » Tue May 19, 2020 10:00 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:20 am

I think JonColeman is right, this sounds like it may be a Taiwanese trade frame. Not a bad thing though.
Well I bought some new tyres for it last night, 27" gumwalls. I'll clean it up a bit and get it riding again.

Anyone on here got a clamp on front derailleur (Suntour) that could turn it from a 5speed to 10 speed?
My middle son has designs on it, and he's quite a bit taller than I so it may suit.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 19, 2020 10:17 am

joncoleman wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:00 am
Anyone on here got a clamp on front derailleur (Suntour) that could turn it from a 5speed to 10 speed?
My middle son has designs on it, and he's quite a bit taller than I so it may suit.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listi ... 5619595293

joncoleman

Postby joncoleman » Tue May 19, 2020 10:38 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:17 am
joncoleman wrote:

Sadly, I can't see it, is it a group that I am not in?

Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment
The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in.

Anyway I saw some links to some suntour front derailleurs - approx 30-40 bucks. not too bad.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 19, 2020 11:33 pm

joncoleman wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:38 am
10speedsemiracer wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:17 am
joncoleman wrote:

Sadly, I can't see it, is it a group that I am not in?

Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment
The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in.

Anyway I saw some links to some suntour front derailleurs - approx 30-40 bucks. not too bad.

Sorry, forgot it was a Private Group. The item I linked is a late 80s NOS SunTour, but not a Sprint. Is $25 plus postage.

Might be worth joining the group just for that one purchase ? The seller is reputable.

joncoleman

Postby joncoleman » Wed May 20, 2020 1:39 pm

Thanks mate.

TBH - I ended up putting a Shimano derailleur I had which was unknown vintage.

Also had to butcher the cotter pin on the non-drive side, it had been stripped and smashed to bits by previous ham-fist.

Had to drill the f@#&*$ out with bigger and bigger bits, and then finally drift out the shell of the cotter millimeter by millimeter.

I did a great job! didn't even bruise the crank or crank arm, as I had it in the vice with wooden jaws.

I then had to pull out the octagonal and smashed bottom bracket bearings, replaced them and packed it with grease.
I actually had some Cotter pins in my box of parts too!

The cable inners were rusted and outers were cracked, so I replaced the lot.

So It's all operational now.

It looks nice, but isn't worth spending more than the cost of the tyres and cables ($65) in my opinion.

My son is mildly interested, but really more interested in a Black "Madison" frame I have, which at 22" is a better size for him, he's 175cm and growing.
(This bike is huge - 23" / 59cm, and he can't stand astride the top tube comfortably.)

So - I may end up gifting it to a mate as he is needing some transport. I'll ride it around a bit first though just to say I did. :)

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed May 20, 2020 1:43 pm

They made tough bottom ends.

I am yet to meet a Raleigh BB that I couldn't resurrect. Opened up an early 70s BB a while back, spindle was like new, cups cleaned up perfectly (thank god) just needed new balls and cotters.