Single speed MTB project

PJZap

Single speed MTB project

Postby PJZap » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:36 pm

My Apollo Himalaya (circa 1991) had seen better days after approx 30 000km on original gears and chain. Not wanting to throw it away nor spend too much money on it I thought a single speed conversion would be the way to go, and it would shed some weight. I've removed original stickers, sanded paintwork then sprayed a primer, 3 coats of metallic charcoal and 2 coats of clear, not a perfect job but looks ok and only cost $45. 2nd hand Maxxis tyres were $2 each, a new set of bearings for the headset and a riser bar have been the other changes. I have cranks, chain and spacer kit on order from Velo Solo so it shouldn't be too long before it's on the road, of course I'm on the look out for a new saddle. Will update this post when more progress is made.

trailgumby

Re: Single speed MTB project

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:02 pm

That saddle is a worry. Looks like it belongs in Night of the Living Dead or it's just escaped from Tales from the Crypt and it's waiting patiently for a opportunity to turn you into ... One of Them.

Nice paint job :D

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:08 pm

There's no photo of a 30,000 km chain...so it didn't happen. You have to keep that saddle. Zombie indeed...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:56 pm

I instantly had a saddle like that once, the morning after I ate a particularly hot curry.

I like that frame geometry, and nice paint. What type (brand etc.) of paint is it?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:56 am

Are you going for magic gearing or using a tensioner for SS? If you hadn't repainted it, it could have been a contender for 'ghetto build of the year'!

Jim

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Now there's a bike in need of a black Brooks saddle if ever I've seen one!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

PJZap

Postby PJZap » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:14 pm

Stuey wrote:I instantly had a saddle like that once, the morning after I ate a particularly hot curry.

I like that frame geometry, and nice paint. What type (brand etc.) of paint is it?
The paint was White Knight which cost about $8 a can and I used 2 cans, clear coat and primer were both Dulux. Probably should have gone to a more expensive paint as it has chipped already down to the primer, anyway I'll see how it goes.

PJZap

Postby PJZap » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:57 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:There's no photo of a 30,000 km chain...so it didn't happen. You have to keep that saddle. Zombie indeed...
Rode the bike for 11 years in Alice Springs commuting to work and also off road on the weekends, the chain was well lubed and never got wet - so no rust which might explain it's long life. The only maintenance since '91 has been new a bottom bracket, tyres and brake cables, everything was still running reasonably well l ast time I rode it, except for a problem with the rear shifter. Photo of original chain and BioSpace chainrings to come

PJZap

Postby PJZap » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:59 pm

familyguy wrote:Are you going for magic gearing or using a tensioner for SS? If you hadn't repainted it, it could have been a contender for 'ghetto build of the year'!

Jim
might see how it goes without tensioner to start with

ghostpoet

Postby ghostpoet » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Mate that looks awesome, I think you'll have enough space in the dropouts to get tension without anything apart from bolted axles.

spirito

Postby spirito » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:18 pm

Great looking ride so far, lots of win !!
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

brasstinman

Postby brasstinman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:40 pm

m@ wrote:Now there's a bike in need of a black Brooks saddle if ever I've seen one!
The bike looks good. Definitely a Brooks on this puppy.
I love the older MTB converted to SS, they look the goods.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:52 am

IIRC the dropouts are "semi horizontal" so you should be able to get a magic gear working easily. A little bit of fore aft adjustment available.

I started riding Mtb on a 1989 model Himalaya. I recall it being a hoot!

Good luck. Rigid SS are fun, and punishing!

PJZap

Postby PJZap » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Finally got around to getting a replacement saddle and getting some photos.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:19 pm

PJZap wrote:
Stuey wrote:I instantly had a saddle like that once, the morning after I ate a particularly hot curry.

The paint was White Knight which cost about $8 a can and I used 2 cans, clear coat and primer were both Dulux. Probably should have gone to a more expensive paint as it has chipped already down to the primer, anyway I'll see how it goes.
WARNING on White Knight, its crap, I've only painted items for the kids, it just flakes off????
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.