Centurion Appreciation Society

singlespeedscott

Re: Centurion Appreciation Society

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:30 pm

Nothing average about Tange 2.

tyliftw

Postby tyliftw » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Gee, this thread is getting rather quiet. Better get things started again!

My Centurion Triathlon Master, built up less than an hour ago. Tange 1 tubing, Ultegra 6500 9 speed group with some Mavic Open 4 CD rims laced up to DA 7403 hubs. Going to be my #2 bike, something I can commute or ride in the wet with.

Cannondale CAAD7 SRAM Rival
Centurion Triathlon Master Ultegra 6500

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:43 pm

re tyliftw » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:29 pm
It rides again? if so fantastic. Whats the weight now?

Rob

tyliftw

Postby tyliftw » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Yep, that's the same frame. Grabbed it off QV, built it up. Weighs around 10 - 11kgs as of now, wire-beard tyres and 32 spoke wheels aren't the lightest!
Cannondale CAAD7 SRAM Rival
Centurion Triathlon Master Ultegra 6500

bhktsox

Postby bhktsox » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:46 am

Hi all new to the forum. So I picked up a 1972 Centurion Pro a few weeks ago and have a few questions. This seems to be the only place I can find a picture of the one I have and some info. So mine is the same color red as the one back a few pages the only difference in it is the build. Mine has Gold Campi brakes and levers? I was told by one guy that this was a upgrade for Centurion only at the time but not sure. Other than the brakes the bike is identical to the one pictured a few pages back. If any body has any info on the brakes and production numbers of how many of these bikes were branded Centurion that would be awesome. All so wondering if the lugs were Cinelli or Cinelli knock offs? My understanding was that at this time that lug was patented by Cinelli and they only made them and sold them to other companies to use. Was this the case or were they just full on knock offs that Windsor sourced and used? Any info would be awesome. Cheers

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi, I have PM'd you with my number to give me a call, but suspect you may not be in Oz.

The 72 Pro is, as you suspect, a rebadged Windsor Pro. They are a high quality frame with Columbus SL tubing throughout. I have an original 1972 Centurion catalog showing the Pro model. The original brakes were Universal 68, with a longer reach on the rear. Mine has almost all it's original parts. You can also get the correct replica Centurion fork decal (the only decal apart from bands on the frame) from Cyclomondo on eBay. This decal was produced from the original off my bike.

An upgrade to Campag brakes would have been quite likely, but would probably have been done by the dealer, not by Centurion. The Centurion was not a big seller at the time, with no "brand" behind it, so dealers may have done special deals to move it along.

There are stories that the guys who made the Windsor frames were originally established to make "Cinelli" frames in Mexico, with key staff coming from Cinelli. True or not, I can't tell. They are a nicely made frame, and while the lugs are a copy, they are not exactly the same as Cinelli. While Cinelli may have had a patent, I doubt it extended to Mexico :). The fact that Windsor kept using the design for a number of years implies either the patent wasn't strong, or Cinelli didn't really care, or there was some deal between the two companies. Centurion only used the Windsor for the Pro model for a year in 1972, maybe into 1973, and then had the Japanese version from 1976 to 1980, which is again a Cinelli copy and very similar but not identical to the Windsor. The Japanese ones had vertical rear dropouts and Tange 1 tubing. Again beautifully made. I have been hunting for an early Japanese one (76-78) in 24.5" or 25.5" for about 5 years now.

Please post some pics of yours, or email them to me (I will PM you my email) and I can post them on the forum for you.

Regards
Roger

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:06 pm

I just went back through the posts. Bhktsox, Is it the red one or the orange one that is like yours? The red one is a later Japanese one, easily distinguished by the cutout bottom bracket.

Regards
Roger

bicicletero1618

Postby bicicletero1618 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:59 am

I am new to the forum. I am from Mexico and I want that information helped me find out about my bike. Best wishes.

bicicletero1618

Postby bicicletero1618 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:03 am

my bike is an old centurion. can you help me, not like enclosing picture

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Here are some pics of the bike Bhktsox posted about a few days ago. It is a 1972 Centurion Pro. Note the unusual gold anodised early version Campagnolo Record brakes.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:03 pm

bicicletero1618 wrote:my bike is an old centurion. can you help me, not like enclosing picture
Hi bicicletero, if you email me some pics at roger.rabbit1964@yahoo.com.au I will post them for you. The earliest Centurions came from Mexico.

Cheers
Roger

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:03 pm

bicicletero1618 wrote:my bike is an old centurion. can you help me, not like enclosing picture
Hi bicicletero, if you email me some pics at roger.rabbit1964@yahoo.com.au I will post them for you. The earliest Centurions came from Mexico.

Cheers
Roger

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:01 pm

rogerrabbit wrote:Here are some pics of the bike Bhktsox posted about a few days ago. It is a 1972 Centurion Pro. Note the unusual gold anodised early version Campagnolo Record brakes.
Upside down Miss Jane :lol:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:03 pm

I've posted it up before but given the Centurion name was changed to Diamondback in the early 90's I thought this was as good a thread as any.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Not upside down now... That was weird. They were up the right way to start with, upside down this morning, and the right way up again now :lol:

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:14 pm

Upside down on the phone, but right way up on my computer. That is a cool trick!

8Track

Postby 8Track » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:10 am

Hi all,

Knowing that Centurion changed its name to Diamondback in 1991, here is a 1991 Diamondback Interval TG which I restored for my wife. This is the first restoration I have ever done. Hope you like it!

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:05 pm

Greetings all,

Thought I'd post to help this topic along again, although at the rate I've bought and sold bikes of late I may not keep this one that long! (had a Repco Superlite, Wheeler 3200 and now this in about 6 weeks).

Recently picked up a Centurion Lemans 14 speed, fairly sure its a 1990 model (Made in Taiwan frame).
Tange 2, full Shimano RX100, ITM Eclypse stem & ITM drop bars, Sakae seat post and random black saddle. I added new toe strap Wellgo pedals (instead of the black plastic ones) and new bar tape.

Cleaned & polished it up although it wasn't too bad overall, the blue paint is still nice and glossy. The RX100 crank & arms were a bit daggy as the clear had gone cloudy so I gave it a polished finish, just on the bike not removing it all so its not perfect but better!

Got it serviced at the LBS (couple of new cables, tighten & true of wheels, adjustment of gears & brakes, re-grease & adjust hubs & degrease cassette) so its now running pretty nicely, though the only problem is the steel spokes are all rusty even after hitting them with steel wool/light sandpaper/WD40. Also the LBS didn't want to tighten the spokes too much for fear of breaking due to the rust.

So I am now hunting for some replacement wheels at a good price. I bought some Mavic CXP30 with Shimano Ultregra hubs to fit to it, planning to squeeze the 130mm rear into the 126mm frame and fit a spacer for the cassette (or even get lucky & the freehub be 7 speed already, as the original owner didn't know and it looks close). But after handing over $150.00 and getting them home, cleaning them up and so on I realised they were both fairly worn down on the rims, especially the rear. I don't have a proper tool to measure, but it seems about 1.1-1.2mm thick on one side of the rear wheel, front is more like 1.4-1.5. As such I'm not sure it is worth even bothering using them :(

Anyway a pic for now..

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:58 pm

I missed out on a great looking Centurion Triathlon Expert today on Perth Gumtree. Tange 1, Shimano 600 Tri Colour with RSX brifters. Looked nice with the white to 'marble' looking grey-blue fade. It popped up for $50 and I texted to say I'd take it but sadly it was sold before i even finished work. Anyone on here score it..?

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:15 am

I picked up a beautiful Centurion in really really great condition at the tip shop for $20 yesterday. I will post some pics up today.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:42 am

Here she is.
Centurion 'Novara'
As you can see its in great nick. Best $20 I ever spent.
Just pulling the fork out revealed near virgin headset crown races with what appeared to be the original clean uncontaminated grease on the bearings.

Also, the stem wedge has the original red grease and looks like it was installed yesterday.
Cables are shot. They have been sitting so long they have that blue-powdery feel and look to them.
It came with araya allow 36 spoke 3X wheels which I ditched and put some Ultegra open pros with 28c tyres on.
What I'd like to do is get a stem adaptor so I can run a modern threadless stem, different bars and some brifters.
Edit - went to tip shop today and got some nice clicky shimano down tube shifters that are super clean and crisp which I will just mount to the current quill stem.

Stripped it naked today and restoring all the parts so they look factory fresh. Installed carbon post and new white specialized saddle. Will post pics as the resto/upgrades continue. But all in all, she's ready to roll as she stands.

Last edited by harmonix1234 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:59 pm

Why the need for a threadless stem? They look wrong on classic steel.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Because I want to use a set of bars I already have, and a stem I have because the one on the bike is very short. Be happy to use a traditional quill stem if I can get a set if bars I like to fit.

eubridge

Postby eubridge » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:36 pm

Hey guys, here is my Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert. I checked the serial code and from that I gather that it's an '88. I bought it about a month and a half ago now. All I've done to it so far is change the tyres, bar tape and brake cables. I put a more comfortable seat on it as well (only temporarily until I have the money for a new seat to match the bar tape :oops: ). It's my first road bike and safe to say I'm hooked :D . It's an absolute joy to ride and it's hard to keep me off it!

'88 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert

Mjainoz

Postby Mjainoz » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi. I haven't read the thread. Just stumbled on it.
But two things I thought I would comment on.

1 Dave Scott is in Australia at the moment. I spotted his name on a few posts above.

2. I had an aluminium Centurion in 1989 to 98. Sold it to a mate. It still sits in his garage I believe. Anyhow I will try and get some snaps of it. Nice bike. I did a few Ironmans etc on it and a Goulburn to Liverpool Road race.