Centurion Appreciation Society

singlespeedscott

Re: Centurion Appreciation Society

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:55 pm

QuangVuong wrote:Centurion Carbon-R

Centurion Carbon-R by Quang.Vuong, on Flickr

Nice. But what's going on with your STI lever placement?

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:00 am

Im still in an adjustment phase. I can't seem to find a good position. If I tilt them up then the web(skin between thumb and index finger) area hurts after a bit. Too far down, and wrists feel weird. I think I should lower the stem a bit and tilt up to copy the same positioning as my Cadex. Or maybe I need to raise the bars to match my Peugeot. Ridden around 100km like that so far without too much discomfort.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:13 am

I would be unwrapping the tape and moving the levers up so that the tips are in line with bottom of the drops. That's where they are designed to be.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:58 pm

try on some gloves at your lbs. might help with the web, and will certainly help with protecting your hands if you come off. bitumen at any speed is no fun on your palms.

apollocreed

Postby apollocreed » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:02 pm

anyone looking for a centurion Le mans in Bris/GC?

$40 on gumtree at the moment. No reply on groupset or details. Figured someone in here might be interested (not mine BTW)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/jimboomb ... 1025090676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Yeah someone should grab that. Jimboomba's miles away from me though.
Long day's journey into alt-bars

matt1986

Postby matt1986 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:33 pm

Just picked up a Tange #1 / 6400 equipped 'Triathlon Master' for $150. It's dirty, but barely ridden - the terrible 80s paintjob is perfectly intact. Restoring it for a friend, photos to come!

Question: were Australian imported Centurions branded 'Triathlon Master' instead of the more common (and apparently concurrent) 'Dave Scott Ironman Master' - the two bikes appear identically spec'd, but there is little to no info on the 'Triathlon Master'

Cheers

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:25 pm

An Ironman event is a triathlon. So it may well be the same bike. All I can confirm is that international models had different decals, and names, but were spec'd the same. Best source of info would be RobbieTunes over on BikeForums. He was my source of info on my Centurion.

And a whole lot of info on Centurions. My Carbon is up there in the rarity ranks. :o
RobbieTunes wrote:Depends on the years; really does.
The Pro, Semi Pro, and Pro Tour always throw me off, so I stay out of that part of it.
I'll just stick with the top few, the years I know more about. There's always some debate.
I've not had any models other than those listed here, and have not owned a "straight" Carbon or an Elite RS.
There were many lower level models, which were also, generally, better equipped than the price point competitors.
Not always, but generally. There was a Lemans mixte in there, too, and a track bike, the Trac.

Bear in mind I am by no means an authority or an expert on this;
I've just had some and am perfectly willing to say what I think, and claim the right to be wrong.
(Sort of the opposite of being married)

1983:
Turbo
Lemans RS

1984:
Turbo
Comp TA
Lemans RS

1985:
Cinelli Centurion Equipe vs. Prestige for top of the heap.
Dave Scott Ironman
Elite/RS vs. Lemans/RS (depending on whether you liked Shimano or Suntour)

1986:
Dave Scott Ironman
Elite/RS vs. Facet (steel w/Shimano 600 vs. aluminum w/Suntour Sprint)
Lemans/RS (I've not seen an '86 that I was sure was an '86, but LBS says they were out there)

1987:
Dave Scott Ironman Master (600EX)
Dave Scott Ironman Expert (105) some like that 105 better than that 600EX
Lemans/RS

1988:
Dave Scott Ironman Carbon (Dura Ace)
Dave ScottIronman Master (steel 600 tricolor) vs. "straight" Carbon (CF 600 tricolor)
Dave ScottIronman Expert (105)
Lemans/RS (Taiwan)

1989:
Prestige (Dura Ace) I've only seen one. A BF member has a blue/white fade.
Dave ScottIronman Master (600 tricolor)
Dave ScottIronman Expert (Suntour GPX)
Lemans/RS (Taiwan)

The wild card is sort of that later 80's Prestige; I think it was '89, but the decals are more in line with the 88's.
By '89, they'd subdued the decals a bit. In '88, they were "busy," to say the least.

I'd also like to stress that there was very little difference between the Ironman Expert and the Ironman Master, until 1989.

Anecdotal stuff:
The Turbo, early Prestige, and Cinelli-made Equipe are often said to be fully chromed under the paint. I know of a Turbo that was stripped 100% and if the frame isn't polished, it sure is some smooth "rough" work. The Prestige is chromed, but not polished chrome, under the painted parts. My paint guy says the Equipe is chromed and "good enough to leave stripped" all over, but the only thing I know for pretty much certain is that the forks on all three of those models are polished chrome plated under the paint.

The Elite had the same components one year as the Ironman, at least one of them I saw did.

The Facet was raced by the all-female team, and their bikes were pink. Later, they raced re-badged Italian bikes.
Rebecca Twigg was a team member. It was Centurion's only offering, that I know of, in aluminum. Some think the Facet was the equal of the Ironman in 1986, due to the racing team. Having both, I sure can't choose based on frame, components, or wheelsets.

Of those who've had several Ironman bikes, some feel the '86 in red/white with the copper Araya's and red-hooded DC brakeset was the smoothest and most elegant of the Ironmen. I can't really argue with that.

In 1989, Centurion stated they'd tweaked the geometry on the Ironman. Those who have had several, including the black '89 Expert, seem to all report that the black Expert frame is a bit snappier than the other Ironman models. That is also my experience. The Master and fade Expert models seem to be smoother than the black Expert model in '89.

All the late Ironman bikes had tires that were generally hated, Panaracer Technova II's. They said 700x19 on the raised lettering, and 700x18 on the labels. They were hard as rock, and this contributed to lots of truing needed on the later model Araya CTL-370 rims if the bikes were raced hard.

Scarcity is an issue that doesn't always make the price go up, for Centurions, anyway. The Ironman can't be that rare, as I have not once gone on a group ride or a century when someone didn't recognize the bike and say they once had one, much like a Puegeot or an older Schwinn.

My rarity ranking:
"straight" Carbon model
Prestige
Facet
'87 Master, Turbo, '85 Ironman
Comp TA, Elite RS, '86 Ironman
Cinelli Centurion Equipe-most are in the hands of one dealer.
'88 Expert, '89 Master
'89 Expert
'87 Expert, probably the most numerous.

Pricing, an educated guess:
Cinelli Centurion Equipe
Turbo, Prestige
Facet
Ironman models
Elite RS
Lemans RS
Elite
Lemans

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:37 am

QuangVuong wrote:An Ironman event is a triathlon. So it may well be the same bike. All I can confirm is that international models had different decals, and names, but were spec'd the same. Best source of info would be RobbieTunes over on BikeForums. He was my source of info on my Centurion.

And a whole lot of info on Centurions. My Carbon is up there in the rarity ranks. :o
RobbieTunes wrote:?.....
Bear in mind I am by no means an authority or an expert on this;
I've just had some and am perfectly willing to say what I think, and claim the right to be wrong.
(Sort of the opposite of being married)

1989:
Prestige (Dura Ace) I've only seen one. A BF member has a blue/white fade ...........

My rarity ranking:
"straight" Carbon model
Prestige
Facet
'87 Master, Turbo, '85 Ironman
Comp TA, Elite RS, '86 Ironman
Cinelli Centurion Equipe-most are in the hands of one dealer.
'88 Expert, '89 Master
'89 Expert
'87 Expert, probably the most numerous.

Pricing, an educated guess:
Cinelli Centurion Equipe
Turbo, Prestige........

Build date of May/June '89 according to the serial number. And yes Josh deal fell through :roll:
Waz
Wazza

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:01 pm

matt1986 wrote:Just picked up a Tange #1 / 6400 equipped 'Triathlon Master' for $150. It's dirty, but barely ridden - the terrible 80s paintjob is perfectly intact. Restoring it for a friend, photos to come!

Question: were Australian imported Centurions branded 'Triathlon Master' instead of the more common (and apparently concurrent) 'Dave Scott Ironman Master' - the two bikes appear identically spec'd, but there is little to no info on the 'Triathlon Master'

Cheers
RobbieTubes got back to me on this. The Triathlon Master is indeed the international model of the Dave Scott Ironman Master.

Wazza, that 89? Prestige is basically an Ironman with Prestige tubing which would've ran 6400. It's not as good as the 85 Prestige that had 6 speed DA with chromed parts. Anyway, RobbieTunes would be interested in that frame. Maybe you'd like to get it touch with him. However, postage may be a deterrant.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:43 am

Wazza wrote: And yes Josh deal fell through :roll:
Waz
Aaah, maybe we should talk again. I have just found out my most recent purchase is tragically bent ....

Oh, and IIRC, for some reason the "Dave Scott" didn't appear on Australian models. Same bikes though.

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:50 pm

I used to own this:

Decaled as a Universe but all signs point to it coming out of the same factory as the Centurions of it's era.

It went to a good home at least.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:23 pm

[quote="xerlex"]

[quote]

That is an absolute cracker. A perfect selection of top line 1970's Japanese components. I love the black anodized parts.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:10 am

+1. Very nice bike. 8)

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:17 pm

It looks remarkably similar to this 1980 Centurion Professional I acquired in Germany a couple of months ago. The same colour? Image

I had thought it would need restoring but the paint is actually in excellent order except for a couple of areas.

Pics of the now restored orange 72 Centurion Pro will be up in a few days, just waiting for grey brake cables to arrive.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:43 pm

You have some brilliant bikes RogerRabbit

Rob

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Just finished putting this one together. Initial test ride was smooth and quiet. I'm impressed with the shifting of the RSX 7 speed brifters.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Very nice but I think you could do with a couple more links in your chain. That rear derailleur is way over stretched.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:56 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Very nice but I think you could do with a couple more links in your chain. That rear derailleur is way over stretched.
Yep, used an old chain that I had lying around. Thought it would be close. Will add one or two.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:05 pm

RSX shifters are equally as good as the105, 600, and DA shifters of the time, just that it only had 7 gears as opposed to 8 of the others.

If they start getting worse, then give them a clean up as per my thread, or send them over.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:50 am

honestly Quang, you talk a lot of showtime. google is no substitute for real-world experience.
and no, dropping a brifter in a bucket of petrol is not experience enough for me, or many others on this forum.
QuangVuong wrote:RSX shifters are functional, but should not be compared to the 105, 600, and DA shifters of the time..
ftfy

LG

Postby LG » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:28 am

I used RSX shifters for a while, the right seemed to work fine, but the left lacked any ability to trim the front derailleur which was a PITA, so got rid of them.
LG = Low Gear

rogerrabbit

Centurion Pro 1974 on ebay

Postby rogerrabbit » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:46 pm

Here is a VERY nice Centurion. A 1974 one owner Centurion Professional in what appears to be outstanding original condition. Just add another $850 to get it shipped to Oz.....

This is the 3rd Centurion Pro I have seen in this size come up for sale this year. There have been none in the previous 4 years. If only this one had come up before I bought mine a few months ago, as mine needed a respray. Oh well...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1152208035

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Magnificent. What a bike. Looks like it was ridden once and then put under the bed until yesterday. I hope it stays in that condition, it is a museum piece.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:59 pm

I have blessing from my better half to buy this, :-) which is a bit of a surprise!