Malvern Star Appreciation Society

hvolks
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby hvolks » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:23 pm

NO

I can not see any decals or stickers or engravings..

glencromie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:58 am

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby glencromie » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:09 am

Anyone on the eastern side of Melbourne interested in an old frame and wheels that have seen better days?
Frame serial No.104292.

glencromie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:58 am

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby glencromie » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:43 pm

glencromie wrote:Anyone on the eastern side of Melbourne interested in an old frame and wheels that have seen better days?
Frame serial No.104292.

No-one?
I was hoping it could go to someone who could use it in a restoration, rather than scrapping it.

Imwit
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:21 pm
Location: Albury

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby Imwit » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:00 pm

Put up a photo or two Glen

glencromie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:58 am

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby glencromie » Sun May 01, 2016 8:03 pm

OK, will do. I thought I'd gauge if there was any interest before I dragged the parts out of storage - where they've been for the past 30 years. I'll endeavour to get some photos over the next few days.

glencromie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:58 am

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby glencromie » Mon May 02, 2016 12:51 pm

The bike belonged to my mother's uncle who, after leaving the Air Force after WW1, took up a government sponsored soldier-settler "fruit block" to grow sultanas. After he died in 1986, I helped my parents clear out his house in Mildura and bring everything back to Melbourne. The bike was dismantled for the trip back and it's been in my garage ever since, through 3 house moves. I had no intention of restoring it, but I couldn't scrap it. But the time has come. It needs to find a new home.
It was in this condition when it left Mildura 30 years ago, so it had not been ridden for a very long time. I've no idea how old it is.
I don't recall it having mudguards, but I'll have a good look around to see if they are here. I wouldn't have thrown them away if it did have them.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
utedeej
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:56 pm
Location: Near Canberra

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby utedeej » Mon May 02, 2016 2:35 pm

glencromie wrote:The bike belonged to my mother's uncle who, after leaving the Air Force after WW1, took up a government sponsored soldier-settler "fruit block" to grow sultanas. After he died in 1986, I helped my parents clear out his house in Mildura and bring everything back to Melbourne. The bike was dismantled for the trip back and it's been in my garage ever since, through 3 house moves. I had no intention of restoring it, but I couldn't scrap it. But the time has come. It needs to find a new home.
It was in this condition when it left Mildura 30 years ago, so it had not been ridden for a very long time. I've no idea how old it is.
I don't recall it having mudguards, but I'll have a good look around to see if they are here. I wouldn't have thrown them away if it did have them.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Great bike and story. Shame I'm not down near Melbourne, but am sure you'll get people jumping at the opportunity to restore.

Good luck with it and a generous offer.

bicyclepassion
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue May 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Serial number 104292 places it in about 1938.
Certainly a worthwhile project for someone. If no-one else wants it, I would like to rescue it. Always good to have a bike with known history.

Warren

glencromie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:58 am

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby glencromie » Tue May 03, 2016 7:51 pm

Where are you Warren?

I haven't seen any photos of him with the bike, but here's one taken during the war.

Image

User avatar
utedeej
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:56 pm
Location: Near Canberra

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby utedeej » Tue May 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Warren would be an excellent choice Glen, he is a font of Malvern Star knowledge and help on here.

bicyclepassion
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue May 03, 2016 8:35 pm

Im in Bairnsdale, Happy to pick it up in Melbourne some time, or get one of my kids to pick it up for me.

glencromie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:58 am

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby glencromie » Tue May 03, 2016 8:58 pm

utedeej wrote:Warren would be an excellent choice Glen, he is a font of Malvern Star knowledge and help on here.

Thanks for the endorsement, Utedeej.
I just realised that Warren is the serial number guru. It was his thread that I first stumbled upon.

Warwick
PS. Glen Cromie is my approximate neighbourhood. Should have mentioned that before.

bicyclepassion wrote:Im in Bairnsdale, Happy to pick it up in Melbourne some time, or get one of my kids to pick it up for me.

Thanks Warren,
I'm actually just north of Warragul. We can work something out. There's no rush to get rid of it. After all, it's been lying around for 30 years since leaving Mildura. I just thought it was time to find it a good home, so it doesn't matter if it takes weeks or a couple of months to get it to you.
Are your kids in Melbourne? If so, which suburbs?

Warwick

glencromie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:58 am

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby glencromie » Fri May 06, 2016 12:40 pm

Warren,
I've sent you a message with my email address.

Warwick

glencromie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:58 am

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby glencromie » Fri May 13, 2016 8:41 pm

glencromie wrote:Warren,
I've sent you a message with my email address.

Warwick

Bump

bicyclepassion
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby bicyclepassion » Sat May 14, 2016 5:33 am

I'll contact you this weekend Warwick.

glencromie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:58 am

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby glencromie » Sat May 14, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks Warren.

Ant_S
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:49 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby Ant_S » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Not really worthy of bumping the thread given all the classics in here...but I picked up a Malvern Star Roadstar single speed on the weekend. Spent a couple of leisurely hours with the footy in the background cleaning, polishing & degreasing.

I am pretty happy with it. It was listed at $100 which I wasn't willing to pay but the seller got in touch & said he wanted it gone & would take $50 so I went for a look...inevitably ended up with it!

It's a good size for me with ~53ST & 55TT. I'm assuming something around late 80's? It has SR cranks 165mm 46T stamped 88 with original sugino dust caps. Coaster brake hub on original Araya steel chromed rims & Japanese hubs. Its heavy obviously but not as heavy as some old 3 speed Indi 500s I've had in the past.

I've levelled the bars back since the pictures as I realised they looked a bit tilted forwards. Rides nice so this'll be my errand runner/pub bike.

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Rob74
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:26 pm
Location: Hunter Valley, NSW

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby Rob74 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:54 pm

Can someone repost the photos for permanency WRT Paintwork? and decals

Rob

User avatar
Clydesdale Scot
Posts: 1836
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Rob74 wrote:Can someone repost the photos for permanency WRT Paintwork? and decals

Rob


Done
Image
Album is Malvern Star Roadstar Bike Serial 79817
let me help you prepare your ebay advert, ask me how

Gee Tee
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:25 am

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby Gee Tee » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:55 pm

rollin wrote:Thanks, it was Sydney built.
He bought it in 1970 from a guy who had matching 5 stars, one road and one track.
He never road it once..

Hi rollin re blue Malvern Star five star track bike. Would the name on the top bar have Graeme Tonkin on it.
Thanks Graeme
PS It sure looks like my old bike

Return to “Retro biking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Stuntman