Malvern Star Appreciation Society

hvolks

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby hvolks » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:23 pm

NO

I can not see any decals or stickers or engravings..

glencromie

Postby glencromie » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:09 am

Anyone on the eastern side of Melbourne interested in an old frame and wheels that have seen better days?
Frame serial No.104292.

glencromie

Postby glencromie » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:43 pm

glencromie wrote:Anyone on the eastern side of Melbourne interested in an old frame and wheels that have seen better days?
Frame serial No.104292.
No-one?
I was hoping it could go to someone who could use it in a restoration, rather than scrapping it.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:00 pm

Put up a photo or two Glen

glencromie

Postby glencromie » Sun May 01, 2016 8:03 pm

OK, will do. I thought I'd gauge if there was any interest before I dragged the parts out of storage - where they've been for the past 30 years. I'll endeavour to get some photos over the next few days.

glencromie

Postby glencromie » Mon May 02, 2016 12:51 pm

The bike belonged to my mother's uncle who, after leaving the Air Force after WW1, took up a government sponsored soldier-settler "fruit block" to grow sultanas. After he died in 1986, I helped my parents clear out his house in Mildura and bring everything back to Melbourne. The bike was dismantled for the trip back and it's been in my garage ever since, through 3 house moves. I had no intention of restoring it, but I couldn't scrap it. But the time has come. It needs to find a new home.
It was in this condition when it left Mildura 30 years ago, so it had not been ridden for a very long time. I've no idea how old it is.
I don't recall it having mudguards, but I'll have a good look around to see if they are here. I wouldn't have thrown them away if it did have them.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Mon May 02, 2016 2:35 pm

glencromie wrote:The bike belonged to my mother's uncle who, after leaving the Air Force after WW1, took up a government sponsored soldier-settler "fruit block" to grow sultanas. After he died in 1986, I helped my parents clear out his house in Mildura and bring everything back to Melbourne. The bike was dismantled for the trip back and it's been in my garage ever since, through 3 house moves. I had no intention of restoring it, but I couldn't scrap it. But the time has come. It needs to find a new home.
It was in this condition when it left Mildura 30 years ago, so it had not been ridden for a very long time. I've no idea how old it is.
I don't recall it having mudguards, but I'll have a good look around to see if they are here. I wouldn't have thrown them away if it did have them.

Great bike and story. Shame I'm not down near Melbourne, but am sure you'll get people jumping at the opportunity to restore.

Good luck with it and a generous offer.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue May 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Serial number 104292 places it in about 1938.
Certainly a worthwhile project for someone. If no-one else wants it, I would like to rescue it. Always good to have a bike with known history.

Warren

glencromie

Postby glencromie » Tue May 03, 2016 7:51 pm

Where are you Warren?

I haven't seen any photos of him with the bike, but here's one taken during the war.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Tue May 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Warren would be an excellent choice Glen, he is a font of Malvern Star knowledge and help on here.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue May 03, 2016 8:35 pm

Im in Bairnsdale, Happy to pick it up in Melbourne some time, or get one of my kids to pick it up for me.

glencromie

Postby glencromie » Tue May 03, 2016 8:58 pm

utedeej wrote:Warren would be an excellent choice Glen, he is a font of Malvern Star knowledge and help on here.
Thanks for the endorsement, Utedeej.
I just realised that Warren is the serial number guru. It was his thread that I first stumbled upon.

Warwick
PS. Glen Cromie is my approximate neighbourhood. Should have mentioned that before.
bicyclepassion wrote:Im in Bairnsdale, Happy to pick it up in Melbourne some time, or get one of my kids to pick it up for me.
Thanks Warren,
I'm actually just north of Warragul. We can work something out. There's no rush to get rid of it. After all, it's been lying around for 30 years since leaving Mildura. I just thought it was time to find it a good home, so it doesn't matter if it takes weeks or a couple of months to get it to you.
Are your kids in Melbourne? If so, which suburbs?

Warwick

glencromie

Postby glencromie » Fri May 06, 2016 12:40 pm

Warren,
I've sent you a message with my email address.

Warwick

glencromie

Postby glencromie » Fri May 13, 2016 8:41 pm

glencromie wrote:Warren,
I've sent you a message with my email address.

Warwick
Bump

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Sat May 14, 2016 5:33 am

I'll contact you this weekend Warwick.

glencromie

Postby glencromie » Sat May 14, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks Warren.

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Not really worthy of bumping the thread given all the classics in here...but I picked up a Malvern Star Roadstar single speed on the weekend. Spent a couple of leisurely hours with the footy in the background cleaning, polishing & degreasing.

I am pretty happy with it. It was listed at $100 which I wasn't willing to pay but the seller got in touch & said he wanted it gone & would take $50 so I went for a look...inevitably ended up with it!

It's a good size for me with ~53ST & 55TT. I'm assuming something around late 80's? It has SR cranks 165mm 46T stamped 88 with original sugino dust caps. Coaster brake hub on original Araya steel chromed rims & Japanese hubs. Its heavy obviously but not as heavy as some old 3 speed Indi 500s I've had in the past.

I've levelled the bars back since the pictures as I realised they looked a bit tilted forwards. Rides nice so this'll be my errand runner/pub bike.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:54 pm

Can someone repost the photos for permanency WRT Paintwork? and decals

Rob

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Rob74 wrote:Can someone repost the photos for permanency WRT Paintwork? and decals

Rob
Done
Album is Malvern Star Roadstar Bike Serial 79817

Gee Tee

Postby Gee Tee » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:55 pm

rollin wrote:Thanks, it was Sydney built.
He bought it in 1970 from a guy who had matching 5 stars, one road and one track.
He never road it once..
Hi rollin re blue Malvern Star five star track bike. Would the name on the top bar have Graeme Tonkin on it.
Thanks Graeme
PS It sure looks like my old bike

pricejo

Postby pricejo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:03 am

Hi just wanted to show you guys my latest buy on ebay.
Its a Malvern Star Bushranger from around 1988 going by the date codes on the shimano components.
Its got some nice parts lx mountain and triple butted Dynalloy frame.Even has period tioga farmer john tyres.
And some really nice Araya RM20 rims.
https://i.imgur.com/sr3XBw6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IDVEFxF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vuHPX5w.jpg
(I hope the photo links work)
I cannot find much info on it has anyone got a catalog from the late 80s that would show this bike?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:25 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

DaveP

Postby DaveP » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 pm

I have been searching to try and find information to date a Malvern Star serial number. The number is M3G49490 and the bike is I believe a Japanese made AL12 ladies 12 speed. I believe it may be mid 80's from the style and design but I have no idea how to date it. I have searched for a serial decoding guide with no success. Can anyone help me identify it please?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:07 pm

funnybike wrote:Hi Folks

I'm looking for a Malvern Star Team 86 funny bike. I bought one of these when I worked at Tom Wallace Cycles back in the 80s. I later sold it to Brett Richardson at Berretto Cycles when he was at Chermside. Would love to find it or one similar. They are pretty distinctive, so if you happen to see one, please let me know. This is my first attempt at an image post so please bear with me.

I was at the National Sports Museum at the MCG yesterday and they have one of these on display. Silly me forgot to take a photo of the written explanation, but somebody apparently raced it...probably without reflectors, bell and pie plate. Anyone know much about it?

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi all,
I found this in a pile of bikes today. The owner was asking $50 for it. Worth anything to anybody on here, or tell him he's dreaming?
23 inch CT, 10 speed, seemingly all original groupset etc.
I'm into Shoguns so I'll pass it up, but if anybody on here is keen I can pass along the details.
Cheers, Eugene