Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Tinker

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby Tinker » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:26 am

Lovin ya work Mark, attempting something similar now with an old Super Elliott roadster. Good learning experience.

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Hi All
I recently picked up this very fancy lugged 5 star,
Having never seen anything like this before my guess is that this has been custom built for its owner, dated 1950's.
There are similarities to Super Elliott however the seat-stays, head lugs and BB appear different to other Elliotts i own/owned, no serial on this one.
A shame that it hasn't its original paintwork but another to the list to bring back.

SL

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Stunning head tube and seat stay details! Looks like a big frame. Probably too big for me :-)

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Mon May 04, 2015 7:05 pm

Not mine.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151668914907 ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon May 04, 2015 7:14 pm

jbchybridrider wrote:Not mine.
it is Healey100's sale
offered here first

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon May 04, 2015 9:49 pm

Without pictures :-)

djdave

Postby djdave » Wed May 20, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi Everyone,
This is my dads old bike but he can't remember anything about it...
Unfortunately the wheelset is now gone. Can somebody tell me if it was a 10 speed etc?
I'd love to ride the same bike my dad did back in the day. I'm about to fix it up as I need a road bike!
Any info would be appreciated. I don't think this was a top model but I doubt my dad would have got the base model either.
Corsa? Don't know much about them.
Thanks in advance David

Coffs1962

Postby Coffs1962 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:08 am

Hi
I picked up a 58cm Malvern Star "Excel" and stripped the frame bare, re-sprayed the frame myself and cleaned up most of the parts. Re-greased everything, hubs, bottom bracket, headset etc. New items are, all cables, chain, bidon cages, saddle, bar tape, decals & some clipless pedals. Nice to look at, but decided too heavy to ride, so offloading it on ebay and moving on to another, lighter project.

[img][IMG]http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss138/david_mcdonald4/IMG_0522%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpseaxegji6.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by Coffs1962 on Mon May 25, 2015 6:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun May 24, 2015 3:23 pm

djdave wrote:Hi Everyone,
This is my dads old bike but he can't remember anything about it...
Unfortunately the wheelset is now gone. Can somebody tell me if it was a 10 speed etc?
I'd love to ride the same bike my dad did back in the day. I'm about to fix it up as I need a road bike!
Any info would be appreciated. I don't think this was a top model but I doubt my dad would have got the base model either.
Corsa? Don't know much about them.
Thanks in advance David
ImageOld Bike by David Saffioti, on Flickr
Certainly looks like a 10 speed. Pity about the wheels, do you still have the brakes, shifters & derailleurs ?

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Bought this Malvern Star Excel the other day. As a kid back in the late 80s I never knew of Malvern Stars being anything other than old rusty and very heavy boat anchors. This one is a Taiwan build with full shimano exage groupset and is actually a very nice bike to ride. Weighs exactly 12.0kg as found in original condition. Would be I guess 11.6 or 11.7kg with better tyres. Great bike.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:23 pm

Got myself a red and white Malvern Star sportif today. Pretty similar to the excel above. Must be more or less from the same year. The sportif has dia compe brakes and Sakae cranks? (Ill check tomorrow when I pick it up from the tip shop). It has a Dynalloy frame like the excel except the sportif is double butted not triple. Just going off memory of the excels weight the Sportif feels lighter but I'll check tomorrow, its clearly a less expensive bike when new than the mid level exage equiped excel but whos to say it won't turn out to be a better bike. The sportif isn't that much different than a Repco Olympic 12 equipment wise but worth nothing in comparison to the Repcos yet definitely a lighter bike than a superlight. I got the sportif for 12 dollars (its rough) and the excel for 80 (pretty mint). In the interests of logging history I'll post full components of both and the weight of the sportif tomorrow night.

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:09 pm

Your garage must be getting full.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:47 pm

maccayak wrote:Your garage must be getting full.
I have hardly been able to walk in my garage for years lol. But I'm starting to let go of some car parts. The bikes are hanging up on the rafters so don't technically take up space. At some point I'm going to get rid of all the large bikes but for now I'm ok. I just leave a couple of my favorite's on the ground between the cars/motorbikes. Pretty good deals on these late 80s malvern stars though still decent enough bikes to be usable. OK the Repcos were a bit better but those things are much more hunted. Wish I could find some late 80s scans of malvern star catalogues so I knew what names to search for. There must have been a bike or two above the excel?.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Ok the big Sportif weighed 12.0kg as I found it, the front tyre and tube went to the bin after I weighed it. The front tyre and tube weighed 420grams, Ill guess the rear is similar. It'll be a 11.8kg bike with new tyres. The crank is original and is dated January 1987 so Iguss the bike was from the 1988 line up. Same dynaloy frame as the Excel except bigger. Interestingly this bike does have the tripple butted main tubes just like the Excel I say interesting because theres another Sportif or two in this thread (not quite as old) with double butted, its obviously a heavy thick frame either way.

It rides decent, feels a bit more potent than the Excel (no biopace on the Sportif) still pretty dull compared to my Repco Tri A. But its decent and pretty awesome at the $12 price tag.

Ok as for parts..
It has (unbranded) Lee Chi N500A alloy brake calipers.
Some cheap alloy brake levers.
Hsing Lung alloy covered steel handlebar.
Some random headstem.
A 26.6mm alloy seat post.
Shimano light action shifters.
Some alloy/steel front and rear Shimano derailures (not light action).
Seat is Viscount.
Wheels are joytech hubs on Araya Japan 700c rims.
Cranks are Sakae SA 170mm I've just noticed the left arm is slightly different, I guess a replacement.

Frame measures
63cm c-c seat tube, 58cm c-c top tube. Wheelbase is 102cm. Bike is painted pinkish Red with white headstem tube and white forks. White brake lever rubber, white bar tape and a black seat.

The frame should be from Tiawan like the Excel and has the frame lugs as every other non tange 80s Japanese / Taiwan bike. This should be either the model under the Excel or maybe theres one more bike between them in the line up (with full light action or low end exage).

Thats all just for someones future reference.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Found one of these at the local tip yesterday. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/old-bar/ ... 1101702087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . My mother has wanted a "garden art" bike for a while so that's where it is for now. It's been repainted in a old fashioned red but you can see that underneath it's green, metallic green it seems with some decals. It's a little rougher than the one in the gumtree link but not much rougher, cost 5 bucks. I don't know what the actual value of it would be but not much I'd say. Is the serial number on these on the bottom bracket? the red paint if pretty thick but I'll go looking for a serial number once I know where to look.

Hagar

Postby Hagar » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:13 am

Here's mine from a the Serial numbers thread. A very sweet ride!

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:15 pm

Great job, the cream and the brown look great together

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:18 pm

Looks great, nice job.

a-frame81

Postby a-frame81 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:09 pm

Just found an old Malvern Star on the side of the road needing a new home. Certainly doesn't seem to have high-end parts on it.

Some basic details:

Model: Cycle Pro, also has a decal "Sprint" on the top tube.
Serial #: M8G 32833

Any info on the model would be good. I'm assuming it's low end due to the parts spec.

Thinking it will be nice to rebuild as a single speed commuter.

I'll post up some pics in the next day or two.

a-frame81

Postby a-frame81 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:08 pm

So here are the pics,

Not a huge fan of the colour so I will probably strip the frame and re-paint at some point. Hopefully I can strip it down to the frame over the next couple of weeks and see what shape the frame's in.

steelisreallyreal

Postby steelisreallyreal » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:11 am

Can't find a timeline or model listing for bikes in ther 80's and '90's, for want of a better word on Malvern Star road bikes.
Anyone have one they can put up?

Am interested to know where the 'Kinetic" sits, lower end, Middle or higher spec'd bike??
Cheers Roger

spannermonkey

Postby spannermonkey » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:19 pm

Finally sorted this out today
Originally thought it was a Hillman ,
Now I'm pretty sure it's a Malvern Star double X
It came with Shimano first gen 600 groupset
I changed the wheels over to 700 , & Arabasque headset
Changed the bars over to Cinelli because I hate seeing spaghetti up front
I still have the original bars & stem ,which had Dura Ace levers
It'll get a proper break down & clean up over winter
Now just to ride the wheels of it

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:50 pm

Just brought this Excel home. Looks very much like a Repco Superlite. Were Superlites triple butted ?

hvolks

Postby hvolks » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:53 am

Hi First Post..
So hopefully Images work

I am rebuilding ( mainly a clean up at this stage ) of a this Bike for my son to ride, I think may be a Double X
It has Arabesque all around, but it also looks like it has been modified over time, there are no transfers on the bike..

Note: I changed out Brake lever

Any idea what Model.. or is it actually a Malvern Star ?

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:18 pm

The double XX had cast rear dropouts, with adjusting screws, usually Shimano brand. That looks like a lower model in the range, but with upgraded parts.

Probably a genuine Malvern Star frame. Does it have a made In Japan sticker on it somewhere?