Malvern Star Appreciation Society

ldrcycles

Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:46 pm

I can't believe this thread hasn't been posted already! To kick things off, does anyone know anything about a Double XX? I picked one up the other day with a full 1979 600 arabesque group. The rear half of the stays is chromed, and it has a sticker on the seat tube saying double butted hi tensile steel (isn't that an oxymoron? :) ).

I also have an 80s Sprint 12 which is very low end (Shimano RS rear derailleur) but i still want to restore it for some reason.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Vern Stralam

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby Vern Stralam » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:21 am

I don't know about the XX but here's a post to get things rolling.

1952 (Melbourne built) Malvern Star 5 Star - Semi racer.
Rattle can paint job, with a beautiful full gloss lustre and no runs! :D
#Harvey 1950's Club Racer #Super Elliott 1950's Club Racer

Recycler

Postby Recycler » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:44 am

G,Day Idrcycles, Great news our own section! will post some snaps of my modest collection when I get back home.
Thanks Bob

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:04 am

Malvern Star SuperStar (repost)

Came to me as a frame only, moved the group and wheels from a dead Apollo III onto it, although it runs dia-compe bar end shifters instead. It's pretty neat, very heavy though.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Here is my Sportif as it looks now.

I've posted this before when it was wearing 32c cyclocross tyres, I liked the look of them but not the handling so it now wears 23c tyres.

This was given to me in a sorry state by its original owner. It's been powdercoated and the wheels and seat aren't original but most of the other parts are

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:32 pm

hitchhiker, that is purdy :) . I actually picked up a Sportif in a nice grey-blue a few weeks back, only for parts though the frame was destroyed :( . Did yours have a sticker on the seat tube saying TI industries Dynalloy?

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:47 pm

ldrcycles wrote:hitchhiker, that is purdy :) . I actually picked up a Sportif in a nice grey-blue a few weeks back, only for parts though the frame was destroyed :( . Did yours have a sticker on the seat tube saying TI industries Dynalloy?
Now you're testing my memory as that sticker is long gone. Here is a picture of the frame with the original sticker, I think it said triple butted on the top line and Dynalloy on the second

It's a nice bike to ride, I suspect they were once a Superlite competitor? The only downside is that you can't fit modern brakes on it, but the original single pivots with new pads do provide respectable stopping power

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:58 pm

That's it :) . Nice before and after there. Now that the rest of the 1st photo has loaded (damn slow connection), the one i picked up had the same cranks too, the aluminium dust caps were a real challenge to get out.

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:41 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I can't believe this thread hasn't been posted already! To kick things off, does anyone know anything about a Double XX?
A mate of mine had a XX in 1975 and forum member elantra showed off his XX starting at page 34 and more pics on 36 here http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... f=23&t=530
Cheers, Rob

stumpjumper

Postby stumpjumper » Sat May 12, 2012 12:24 am

I bought a Malvern Star XX new in 1983. I remember it was quite expensive - an upper end 'consumer model' at the time. It seemed very light. It was metallic brown and bronze coloured, with Shimano 600 arabesque gears and nice alloy rims. It was a very good ride, until someone nicked it from my back yard.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon May 14, 2012 11:46 am

Got pics up of my two, the rather sad Double XX, and the pre resto Sprint 12.

stnfldr

Postby stnfldr » Mon May 14, 2012 12:46 pm

I have had a few Malvern Stars over the past few years.

This was the first bike I restored, and now I see it.... lol, I wish I had of kept the original pain job! still. I learned a lot stripping it and rebuilding it.

The next Malvern Star I restored was already in pretty good shape, I was quite happy with the way this one turned out.

LG

Postby LG » Mon May 14, 2012 12:55 pm

Mine's already had it's own thread a couple years ago, but here's a 1936-7 sports racer.

LG = Low Gear

stnfldr

Postby stnfldr » Thu May 17, 2012 10:35 am

Just found this on E bay, awesome paint job :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MENS-MALVERN ... 2ebe3a32d1

randyrob

Postby randyrob » Thu May 17, 2012 5:07 pm

My Old Girl (since sold)

Go fast and stop hard, it'll never catch on!

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Thu May 17, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm toying with the idea of creating a website dedicated to vintage Malvern Stars. Ideally i'd like to be able to host images of original paint schemes, images of gear specific to various eras and serial number information for people to be able to reference.

Gotta work out if I have the time to do it.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon May 21, 2012 11:50 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I can't believe this thread hasn't been posted already! To kick things off, does anyone know anything about a Double XX? I picked one up the other day with a full 1979 600 arabesque group. The rear half of the stays is chromed, and it has a sticker on the seat tube saying double butted hi tensile steel (isn't that an oxymoron? :) ).

I also have an 80s Sprint 12 which is very low end (Shimano RS rear derailleur) but i still want to restore it for some reason.
Hi All and thanks to Idrcycles for starting this thread.
Here is my XX in its latest incarnation, a pleasant and fast commuter bike.
Front derailleur and large chainring removed - dont need it on a commuter in brisbane, (you go fast enough down the many hills in any gear).
Wheels - were 27 inch but easier to get tyres for 700C.
Brakes - rear is now centre-pull.
Handlebar stem and seatpost are new - could not raise the original ones high enough for my elongated dimensions.
Brake levers have been changed to Dia-Compe with recessed cables.
Pedals and saddle from the parts bin too.
Rides like a gem. Very fast and balanced. Lack of indexed gears can be a limiting factor.
Frame, RD, crankset and handlebars original, must be approx 30 yrs old.

commando

Postby commando » Thu May 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Hi Guys,

I just picked up an old Malvern Star 1 Star yesterday. I went 'round to a local church where they run a community workshop for retired men to work on bikes for various charities and groups. To my horror, any bike they deem not worth working on is cut up for scrap! When I arrived there was a gentleman in the process of destroying a 1970's or so Peugeot! I asked them why they weren't selling them on and they replied "Nobody wants this old junk". I checked out their scrap pile and even rims are being cut in half! I managed to salvage a Sturmey Archer AW hub and another IG hub that I haven't identified yet. Another bloke rocked up just after me, he helps out the guys and works with them, he said he can't seem to convince them not to cut up the older bikes, they're not interested in trying to save them and make some cash for the church, too much trouble apparently. He salvaged the light set and a fender off the Peugeot randonneur just in time. If this workshop was run any other time than just Wednesday mornings, I'd be there as much as possible to save some of this stuff.

Anyway, there was this MS sitting up against the shed, looked alright to me. I recently picked up another 1 Star from a bargain centre to convert to a fixed gear, but the plain pearl white paint was all chipped and rusted. I had wanted an MS with their signature graphics, plus something with rear dropouts so when I saw this golden beauty, I grabbed it.

It's nothing really special in the big scheme of things, but it's got a few nice details. Weinmann Vainqueur brake setup, Zeus pedals with Brevete clips, Nervar cotter pin crankset and the rims are Araya.Like I said, nothing special but it's got name brand components all the same.

Can anyone help identify the model and year?

ImageImage

ImageImage

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu May 24, 2012 5:20 pm

commando wrote:Hi Guys,

I just picked up an old Malvern Star 1 Star yesterday. I went 'round to a local church where they run a community workshop for retired men to work on bikes for various charities and groups. To my horror, any bike they deem not worth working on is cut up for scrap! When I arrived there was a gentleman in the process of destroying a 1970's or so Peugeot! I asked them why they weren't selling them on and they replied "Nobody wants this old junk". I checked out their scrap pile and even rims are being cut in half! I managed to salvage a Sturmey Archer AW hub and another IG hub that I haven't identified yet. Another bloke rocked up just after me, he helps out the guys and works with them, he said he can't seem to convince them not to cut up the older bikes, they're not interested in trying to save them and make some cash for the church, too much trouble apparently. He salvaged the light set and a fender off the Peugeot randonneur just in time. If this workshop was run any other time than just Wednesday mornings, I'd be there as much as possible to save some of this stuff.

Anyway, there was this MS sitting up against the shed, looked alright to me. I recently picked up another 1 Star from a bargain centre to convert to a fixed gear, but the plain pearl white paint was all chipped and rusted. I had wanted an MS with their signature graphics, plus something with rear dropouts so when I saw this golden beauty, I grabbed it.

It's nothing really special in the big scheme of things, but it's got a few nice details. Weinmann Vainqueur brake setup, Zeus pedals with Brevete clips, Nervar cotter pin crankset and the rims are Araya.Like I said, nothing special but it's got name brand components all the same.

More than a few nice details on that one it is quite a find
Actually it is quite a mystery, it has TRACK frame dropouts but pump mount braze-ons on the top tube.
Anyway it certainly does look good and appears to be relatively good condition
Rear deraileur is not an original fitting that is for sure.
Other than that, would gues it to be from the early seventies?

Steve

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun May 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Got my hands on another MS, very nearly left it on the scrap metal pile where i saw it until i noticed the single speed cranks and thought they might be usual. After looking over it though i'm intrigued, i can't quite work out what it is. Is it a primitive mountain bike, a sort of hybrid or what? Running a 1x5?

1985 Torago, Lee Chi brakes, Shimano RS derailleur, SR silstar cranks, fat steel rims that weigh a ton, the whole thing comes in at a literally staggering 17kgs. Has the old y shaped one piece stem and bar. Has the same sticker on the back of the seat tube as the late 80s Sportive frame i found a while ago 'distributed by T.I. Industries'.

So, what is it?

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Mon May 28, 2012 8:18 am

Hi Guys,

----------------------
@commando - you've picked up a very nice MS roadster from the 50's-60's in lovely original condition. Good score! There should be a serial number on one of the rear dropouts. I would just keep this ride clean, serviced and not do anything to the paintwork. You might want to swap back to a more period set-up eg single speed with a flip-flop hub. And get back to that church! Perhaps try speaking to the organiser of the community group and offering them a flat-rate for old bikes if they put them aside. Most oppies charge about $15-25 for old pushies, point out it's all money they can use to fix other bikes (or donate to charities). Might be worth trying :) keep us posted.

commando

Postby commando » Tue May 29, 2012 12:02 am

Hi Feelthewheel,
I'm not sure it's that old, the serial number is simply a decal at the top of the seat tube. I would think if it were 50's the s/n would be stamped but I'm certainly no expert on old bicycles. Would love to find out what it is exactly.
Either way, I like it. I will not be touching the paint other than a clean and polish. I'm going to ride it as is for a while but intend of fitting a rear fixed/free flipflop when money allows.
The previous MS I picked up will now be stripped for any useful parts and moved on.
I will try to get to the workshop again soon. It's difficult as it's only on 1 weekday morning each week. One of the guys has my number and knows to ring me if anything good comes up.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue May 29, 2012 8:07 am

I'd say it's a late 60's model. They were still using rear facing ends at that point in time.

The derailleurs were added later.

creolenights

Postby creolenights » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Has anyone ever heard of a Malvern Star "FERN" ?

I have recently written a post about this bike in the hard rubbish/flea market finds topic with a link to a pic of the bike and I am really interested in finding out more about the bike.

Serial number on the BB is D72, which is unlike any othe Malvern Star serial numbers I have seen.

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi Folks

I'm looking for a Malvern Star Team 86 funny bike. I bought one of these when I worked at Tom Wallace Cycles back in the 80s. I later sold it to Brett Richardson at Berretto Cycles when he was at Chermside. Would love to find it or one similar. They are pretty distinctive, so if you happen to see one, please let me know. This is my first attempt at an image post so please bear with me.