Malvern Star Appreciation Society

commando

Re: Malvern Star Appreciation Society

Postby commando » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:26 pm

elantra wrote:Re Commando - that is a really awesome rebuild.
just a few questions, where do you get coaster brakes from these days, and why did you elect to replace the front centre-pull brake ?
Thanks Elantra!

I've got a few coaster brakes in my parts stash, I pick 'em up from all over, usually get them off a donor bike. This one is a Shimano D Type, I've got a few of them. You can usualy pick up used ones from ebay for about $20. New ones aren't too dear, either. To be honest, I prefer to use caliper brakes but this bike is not for convenience, it's for hooning around and acting like a kid, and about all I did as a kid was pull skids. The front brake is the grown up inside telling me I need a backup option in case the chain brakes.

I actually plan on going back to the centre pull, but with the lever I had on hand, mounted near the centre of the bars, the cable routing didn't work out so I used the side pull. I'm planning on mounting a drop bar lever at the end of the bull horn, so that should allow the cable to work well with the centre pull brake.

jadecu

Postby jadecu » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:50 pm

Elantra, I'm not sure how to post photos. But the stem sort of look slike a BMX one where it has 4 bolts on top to hold the handlebar in place.

commando

Postby commando » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:10 pm

elantra wrote: Re Commando - that is a really awesome rebuild.
just a few questions, where do you get coaster brakes from these days, and why did you elect to replace the front centre-pull brake ?
Elantra,

If a coaster tickles your fancy and you can't find anything locally, I've just come across a handful of coaster equipped wheels, some Shimano, some British and some Czech brands. Let me know if you're interested in one.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:15 pm

I've come across this 5 Star Malvern Star Oppy track bike frame. I estimate it to be from the 50s, although I don't really know as it is earlier than anything I've had experience with. It was rotting away in a shed, but dry enough that the rust appears to be only superficial, and enough of the paint and pin striping is left to identify it. The British flag on the top tube is interesting. Anybody got any information that they can pass on?

The fork was on another bike in the shed, it took me a little while to work that out. Glad to have re united them.

ImageMalvern Star 5 Star Track Frame by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

ImageMalvern Star 5 Star Track Frame by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

Image5 Star Head Tube by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

ImageBritish Flag Top Tube Decal by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

ImageDowntube 'Oppy' Decal by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

ImageRear Track Dropout & Serial by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

ImageSeat Stay Cluster by biekomelbourne, on Flickr

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:02 pm

LugNut wrote:I've come across this 5 Star Malvern Star Oppy track bike frame. I estimate it to be from the 50s, although I don't really know as it is earlier than anything I've had experience with. It was rotting away in a shed, but dry enough that the rust appears to be only superficial, and enough of the paint and pin striping is left to identify it. The British flag on the top tube is interesting. Anybody got any information that they can pass on?

The fork was on another bike in the shed, it took me a little while to work that out. Glad to have re united them.
Great find. Earlier than 50s.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Jackpot!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:50 pm

wow, nice find

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:16 pm

Imwit wrote:
Great find. Earlier than 50s.
On the money here Imwit, reckon this to be at least pre-WW2, serial no. 2965 probably dates it as an important early example of a 5-Star. I think the "Oppy" models came out from 1935-6 onwards(?) - forum member Bicyclepassion will know much more than I. Plus the Union Jack decal is a bit of a clue to it's age, as after WW2 we became a bit less patriotic towards old blighty and the Empire ...

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:24 pm

The frame number doesnt make sense, but some of them dont. Looks like an early 5 star to me, 1939 or 40 ish. They came out in 1939. Is the number repeated on the steerer tube?

Warren

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:29 am

Interesting. Thanks everyone.
The only thing printed on the steerer is the BSA emblem with the three rifles standing together - I believe that they had something to do with Malvern Star in the early days?
Now what to do with it!

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:52 pm

Some guy on Facebook's 'Retro Cycling Marketplace' is trying to sell a 3 star frame for $350 with supposedly parts from the same frame (Oppy Bars, fluted BSA cranks, Major Taylor stem, BSA pedals) for another $300. He claims the bike and parts are from the 1930s. Comments anyone?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... 15km short of a cardiac arrest ...

Carbon Oppy

Postby Carbon Oppy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi all, I bought these parts for a build on a 1944 war era 2 Star. The parts appear to be more likely from around 1936-39, possibly off a 3 or 4 star Oppy. Very happy with these very early parts $ well spent.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:25 pm

Yep the parts were a fair price. The cranks and stem would have gone north of $300 on fleabay on an average day. Nice to pick them up in one lot instead of waiting, bidding, waiting, bidding

koen

Postby koen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:28 pm

Bike renovating is wonderful escapism but where can I find people who want them when they are done?
This bike was fading in the weather at Morini's place and he generously gave it to feed my addiction. Replaced the spokes for stainless, a bit of spit and polish and new tyres someone else gave me plus cheap NOS sora 7sp levers. I think it looks quite pretty and it's solid and rolls well.Image

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:38 pm

I see you've been playing with your special paint again :) .

barkmadly

Postby barkmadly » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:53 am

The 5 star detailed above has a new home.

Work in progress pix via this link.

http://photobucket.com/albums/ag19/barkmadly/1939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Malvern Star 5 star track

Tyres, pedals and chain plus matching the patina of the wheels remain.

I might put a larger chainwheel on but I prefer the look of the BSA pattern to the Williams.

barkmadly

Postby barkmadly » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:56 am

Bloody link...

http://photobucket.com/albums/ag19/barkmadly/1939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Malvern Star 5 star track

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:18 pm

let me help

barkmadly

Postby barkmadly » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Many thanks. Steve Jobs has a lot to answer for sometimes.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:30 pm

barkmadly wrote:Many thanks. Steve Jobs has a lot to answer for sometimes.
That has cleaned up rather spectacularly, what hubs are they? I'm not sure we can hold Mr Jobs responsible for the sins of photobucket!

barkmadly

Postby barkmadly » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:03 pm

Rear hub is BW, front is BSA. Not matching so keep that a secret.
The front hub has a hollow and fluted axle. I have not seen one before.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:30 pm

Very nice, are the wood rims new or period?

I just noticed this thread is coming up on it's 3rd birthday :) .

barkmadly

Postby barkmadly » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:25 am

The rear wheel came to me complete. Its fairly old - 70+ years and needed trueing, hub service and a clean up. The front is NOS that came to me from a mate of a mate who was into motorbikes and had no real sense of its value.

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:14 am

Here a a couple of photos of 2 malvern star bikes i rescued from my Dads farm yesterday. These are a couple of initial photos and when I have time on the weekend I will take some more and find serial numbers and so. Dads recollection is the first one is about 65 yrs old which would make it from 1950. The second one (the dragster) I rode around the farm in the early 80's.

this is the serial number

This serial number is from another frame which I also picked up. Its a 2 star. More photos to follow when i get the chance in daylight

barkmadly

Postby barkmadly » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:03 am

My 5 Star track bike project is complete.

I have ordered the pix from 'before' to 'after'. Cleaning up old frames with original paint and decals can be a tricky balance when trying to remove rust and grime while leaving delicate water slide transfers and painted line work intact. I can see a couple of faults where I was a tad heavy handed but I am glad this old bike is now preserved for a few more generations.

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/barkm ... t=6&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To the next project - a 1905 Blacklock 'Relay'.