Restorations.....

LG

Re: Restorations.....

Postby LG » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Righto, a couple projects I'm working on, albeit slowly:

Concorde bike I bought at christmas last year at a place called the Blue Toque (Blue Beenie) a second hand sporting good store on Vancouver Island in Canada. It originally had a mix of campag, shimano, suntour, ofmega and miche parts. It has been resprayed and will be built up with campag super record, cinelli 1R stem, 3TTT superleggero Mercx bars, and stronglight 99 cranks which will allow me to use a smaller chainring and get up some local hills :oops: Still looking for an ambrosio rim or a matching pair of other silver clinchers, then am about right.

As bought:
Current state:
Quality Tassie cycles bike, interesting frame with clamp style headset, keyhole forks & campag rear dropouts, takes a 27.2 seatpost. My plan is to build this with quality 1950s ish components, so have a cinelli badged stem (sans badge :( ), some later alloy old logo cinelli bars, campag gran sport gear, universal brake levers (looking for brakes to match), weinmann brakes as a temprorary fix, green airlight hubs, a choice of either magistroni or stronglight 49D cranks, dunlop special lightweight rims (still looking for front) and a 4 speed regina freewheel.

Nearly finished an unknown reynolds 531 frame with arabesque gear and will post photos when my bar tape finally arrives. Once these are complete I can start work on my Viking Mileater.
LG = Low Gear

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Cool stuff LG, but is it just the angle of the photo or do those merckx bars have a HUGE drop?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

LG

Postby LG » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:10 pm

The drops are pretty standard so it's just the angle. Those are an amazing set of bars, if you look them up on velobase they are described as 'scary light' and I'd agree with that. Lightest set of aluminium bars I've ever felt and these are from the 1970's :shock:
LG = Low Gear

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:47 pm

I like that light green frame, very much the business! Nice selection of components too. Any chance of a side on shot?
Cheers
Richard

LG

Postby LG » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:58 am

Side on photos of the green frame as requested. It's about a 58-59cm frame from memory with 27" wheels fitted.
LG = Low Gear

LG

Postby LG » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:17 pm

This is a bike I forgot to take "before" photos of. I bought the frame & headset a couple years ago and it was originally a lighter green with reynolds stickers and Tassie Cycles decals. It did have a couple dents in the top tube which have been repaired. It's running a full arabesque group with 600 aero stem and campag record seatpost. It's a bit small for me so will see how it goes. I did want to do lug lining on this frame as the lugs have nice long points with cutouts and a very nice fork crown, but alas no skill or patience for painting. Interesting that I do have the patience to spend a couple hours making a timber plug to replace the missing shimano aero stem plug, but not for painting. Originally thought the wheels were 700C, but realised they were 27" when the tyres wouldn't fit :oops: . Rides very nice even if it is a bit small.
LG = Low Gear

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Very nice, looks a bit naked without decals. Any plans to add something?

LG

Postby LG » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:33 pm

It does look a bit naked, but I'd have no idea what to put on it. Pretty sure this one was only re-stickered with Tassie cycles decals some time ago. I do want to purchase some 531 tubing decals for it, but are waiting to have another order to add to.
LG = Low Gear

koen

Postby koen » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Regarding decals I have been really impressed with a tassie ebay seller I get vinyl letters from. He advertises 2cm high letters for $1 each. I have used him a few times with significant though pretty simple changes to 2cm letters, getting smaller sizes and word lengths in strange fonts as in the bike pictured below. Always been very very quick and with more than I asked for in case of stuff ups at my end. Its a great service if you just want simple letters. In the bike below I got two sets one in gold and one in black to place over each other for a shadow effect. Seemed to work well I think.
I also bought a Beugler Striping tool but not too good at it yet so there are only a few lines on this bike. Even though they are not perfect it still looks okay. I couldnt get straight lines on the top tube so I did curved ones and that just adds a nice hand painted effect.
It was a kuwahara frame I think, I picked up on ebay with bb, without forks pictured after undercoat.
I painted it with a pink base coat and pearlescent finish that looks better than the white base it was made for. One can see that I should be cleaning and oiling the deck instead of playing with bikes but I just don't get excited about that stuff.
I put mostly veloce gear on it that I had on a larger frame I haven't found a use for yet.

LG

Postby LG » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:46 pm

Hmmm, that's got me thinking Koen. You can't recall the sellers name?
LG = Low Gear

koen

Postby koen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:47 pm

Ebay seller was tonalidesigns. Express post bag turned up next day every time I've ordered so far. That's the way to make repeat business from me!

munga

Postby munga » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:52 am

think i found a photo of your backyard, lachy :P

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:22 am

Haha, maybe if 90% of them had brake lever extensions :) . Won't be like that for much longer either if my ebaying goes according to plan. Pity to have to sell so many but i need to turn them into money now i have a fiancee.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:48 am

munga wrote:think i found a photo of your backyard, lachy :P
So where is this veritable sea of bicycles?
Cheers
Richard

munga

Postby munga » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:44 am

old craigslist ad.
no other info. be nice to have a look tho!