Pre 1930 Malvern Star serial numbers

laneybikeman

Re: Pre 1930 Malvern Star serial numbers

Postby laneybikeman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Just picked up what appears to be an early 2 star Malvern Star. It has yellow paint that appears to have been applied over Army green. Down on the right hand rear drop out is D^D on the top portion and then 2825 on the lower portion.

It has a complete double fork (but different from the one pictured on earlier threads here) with metal platework at the top with a star punched out. Rod brakes(not working) complete on the front, but missing the rear calipers. Seat looks the same as the previous post. Cranks look original, but wheels are more modern 26" (not certain if this was the original size).

Anyway, I chucked some new tyres on it, lubed it up and went for a spin. It was AWESOME to ride.

When the sun is out tomorrow, I'll grab some pics to put up to get some thoughts around age. It's a keeper, but I'll be looking to track down some rod brakes for the rear end.

tinams

Postby tinams » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi everyone, ive recently got myself a girls Malvern star with the serial number on it 5M 11007 on the seat pole bracket, its very clear and unmistakable, it has a beautiful old leather seat and two stars on the front, if you could roughly date this I would appreciate it,
Cheers Tina

LG

Postby LG » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi Tina and welcome, I'm no expert and my knowledge of Malvern Star serial numbers mostly derives from what I've learnt on here, but I'd say 5M would mean built in Melbourne in 1945.
LG = Low Gear

laneybikeman

Postby laneybikeman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Here's a link to some photos of Malvern Star 2 Star ex military bike D^D 2825. Does anyone have any clues to possible age?
http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/laney ... 20Military

laneybikeman wrote:Just picked up what appears to be an early 2 star Malvern Star. It has yellow paint that appears to have been applied over Army green. Down on the right hand rear drop out is D^D on the top portion and then 2825 on the lower portion.

It has a complete double fork (but different from the one pictured on earlier threads here) with metal platework at the top with a star punched out. Rod brakes(not working) complete on the front, but missing the rear calipers. Seat looks the same as the previous post. Cranks look original, but wheels are more modern 26" (not certain if this was the original size).

Anyway, I chucked some new tyres on it, lubed it up and went for a spin. It was AWESOME to ride.

When the sun is out tomorrow, I'll grab some pics to put up to get some thoughts around age. It's a keeper, but I'll be looking to track down some rod brakes for the rear end.

barkmadly

Postby barkmadly » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:27 pm

I had a similar MS that I picked up off hard rubbish. The bike must have weighed 20kg and was built strong.
It had the Department of Defence impression and the number A2406 and was dated to 1941. Thousands upon thousands were made and many were sold at auction to the the bike trade after WW2 where they were tarted up and sold on.
I have a tar paper wooden crate of green painted (camo) D^D surplus rear hub shells if you are interested.

LG

Postby LG » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:50 pm

barkmadly wrote:I had a similar MS that I picked up off hard rubbish. The bike must have weighed 20kg and was built strong.
It had the Department of Defence impression and the number A2406 and was dated to 1941. Thousands upon thousands were made and many were sold at auction to the the bike trade after WW2 where they were tarted up and sold on.
I have a tar paper wooden crate of green painted (camo) D^D surplus rear hub shells if you are interested.
I'm interested in hearing what these rear hub shells are. When I bought my MS Army bike it had a 50s Sturmey rear hub, and I'd like to put something more original in there. My front hub was completely rusted with all plating gone, so no idea what it was either.
LG = Low Gear

laneybikeman

Postby laneybikeman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Thx barkmadly for the insight. You're right, it's a two person lift! Are the hubs you refer to a fixed hub?? Any ideas on what size wheels they were built with? My one has some 26", but frame looks like it would take 27". That said, the brake calipers on the front line up with the 26" rims OK. I suspect the wire rod, may have been added to drop the brakes down to the 26" position.

Go for the hubs LG if you're keen as I'm not certain I can get the rest of the bike apart to do a restore.

LG

Postby LG » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 am

laneybikeman wrote:Thx barkmadly for the insight. You're right, it's a two person lift! Are the hubs you refer to a fixed hub?? Any ideas on what size wheels they were built with? My one has some 26", but frame looks like it would take 27". That said, the brake calipers on the front line up with the 26" rims OK. I suspect the wire rod, may have been added to drop the brakes down to the 26" position.

Go for the hubs LG if you're keen as I'm not certain I can get the rest of the bike apart to do a restore.
Sorry mate, I didn't mean to cut in on you here, I have a perry coaster hub to go into the bike as a fix and was interested what the hubs actually were (but if he has a spare, I might say g'day). The wheels on my bike are 28". Also, my bike is painted black, but others appear to be cammo green, not sure what the deal is here.
LG = Low Gear

barkmadly

Postby barkmadly » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:27 pm

I have loads of these hubs - enough for everyone. Please form an orderly queue.
The hub shells are 40 hole and threaded for a freewheel. $5 each.

chrismo

Postby chrismo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:24 am

Hi Warren,

New to this so please bear with me. I am in the process of stripping down a 2 star for resto with the serial number 8M7584, which based on what i have read here would put it at a Melbourne build 1948? Is this about right? The bike has no stars in the fork crowns nor a hole for a front brake yet has brackets for mudguards. it is a coaster brake type and the wheels measure across a diameter of 26". Are you able to please advise what size tyre i should be looking at given that it came with none?

Thanks in advance
Chris M

vintique bicycles

Postby vintique bicycles » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Hey guys, just have come into our possession is some old Malvern star bicycles and on one of them has a four digit number. The number is 5860 if anyone can help us it would be great.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:44 pm

The DD army bike discussed above should have 28" wheels. The front Philco centre pull brake caliper is a ring-in. A rather ingenious one at that. As far as i know, these bikes usually had 3 piece hubs, that is a hub with steel flanges pressed onto a steel barrell. But during the war, they just used whatever they could get.
The entire rod brake set up may be a later addition, although I have seen wartime civilian Malvern Star bikes with rod brakes factory fitted.
Given the number of thse bikes produced, surprisingly few have survived.
Warren

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:49 pm

vintique bicycles wrote:Hey guys, just have come into our possession is some old Malvern star bicycles and on one of them has a four digit number. The number is 5860 if anyone can help us it would be great.
Can you tell me where the number is located please.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:53 pm

chrismo wrote:Hi Warren,

New to this so please bear with me. I am in the process of stripping down a 2 star for resto with the serial number 8M7584, which based on what i have read here would put it at a Melbourne build 1948? Is this about right? The bike has no stars in the fork crowns nor a hole for a front brake yet has brackets for mudguards. it is a coaster brake type and the wheels measure across a diameter of 26". Are you able to please advise what size tyre i should be looking at given that it came with none?

Thanks in advance
Chris M
A 28" rim measures about 25 1/2" across, so they are probably 28" rims. Take a wheel into your local bike shop and try a tyre on it before buying tyres and tubes.
Yes, it is probably a 1948 melb bike. The forks may not be original. Only the top racing models did not have stars in the fork crown at that time.
Warren

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:56 pm

tinams wrote:Hi everyone, ive recently got myself a girls Malvern star with the serial number on it 5M 11007 on the seat pole bracket, its very clear and unmistakable, it has a beautiful old leather seat and two stars on the front, if you could roughly date this I would appreciate it,
Cheers Tina
That number would suggest that the frame was built in Melbourne in 1945.
Warren

wontac

Postby wontac » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi, I've got a track Malvern Star (5 Star) with serial number 141198. Is there a register somewhere other than Warren that logs this?
I've also got a Hartley 05 685 and 1443 A72 on the bottom bracket and a Healing 115 3006 if anyone can help date these too.
Thanks
Tim

vintique bicycles

Postby vintique bicycles » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:54 am

The number is on the bottom of the right hand drop out.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 am

Number 5860 on right hand rear dropout would suggest that it is 1960's. Some pictures would help, as the number alone is inconclusive.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:01 am

wontac wrote:Hi, I've got a track Malvern Star (5 Star) with serial number 141198. Is there a register somewhere other than Warren that logs this?
Tim
I have a 5 Star track with number 140017 in my personal collection that I have dated to 1939, (could be 1940) if that helps at all. Warren

wontac

Postby wontac » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:09 pm

I've posted pictures of my 5 star, Healing and Hartley onhttp://timmarriage.com/Page_3.php with the frame numbers visable. I hope that helps to date them.
Many thanks and any info on them appreciated.
Tim

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:26 pm

I've an Austral frame I'd like to try and date.

The serial number is located on the the seat lug.

It appears to be 5 M 2648 ( I say 5 but kinda looks like an "S" as well).

The Maps of Australia(head and forks) are Tasmania free and it has Nicklin cranks.

I've requested help here as I'd think the M means it's a Malvern Star built Austral.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:56 am

I have an Austral with number 1M 2329, which I have dated to 1941.
5M 2648 could mean it was buit in Melbourne in 1945, but I am by no means sure about Austral serial numbers. I am also not sure when Malvern Star started using the name. The Australs I have seen look like they were built in the Malvern Star factory. The Pacemaker, Austral and Malvern Star frames are very similiar, year for year, except for the emblem brazed into the hole in the head lugs and fork crown. (P, 'aussie map' or star)
Some pics would help date the frame. Warren

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Cheers Warren, took a few quick snaps (and badly). will take more if required.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:04 am

Well, it looks earlier than 1945. The 'keyhole' lugs, and the square shouldered head lugs would suggest mid to late 1930's. The Maps in open head are unusual, they are usually within a hole in the lug. At that time, the open head is usually found on the upmarket lightweight models from Malvern Star. The chainwheel and crank are definitely much later, possibly 1960's or 1970's. I am assuming it takes 28" wheels. The number may be repeated, and clearer, on the steerer tube. Warren

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback Warren.

As show in the pic, the seat serial number isn't much like the serial number on the steerer tube. In fact it looks like it was beer-o-!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! when that was struck.

Would that indicate they may have had spare forks/frames sitting round that they've used to make a whole bike?

Cheers

Jason