Pre 1930 Malvern Star serial numbers

Just one more

Re: Pre 1930 Malvern Star serial numbers

Postby Just one more » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks again,
I just realised how to find old posts by me. So apologies everyone for the double post.

cold_penguin

Postby cold_penguin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi, I have just discovered a old Malvern Star with the serial number 27726. Just wondering what year it was built.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:22 pm

This morning I had a wonderful time photographing old frames and bikes for the long-term owner.
One for Warren's interpretation of the frame number.
and the stampings do not wrap further than shown above

and the full frame

and the second of the 5 Stars, a 1947 Adelaide built frame

All of the bikes and frames have been in Adelaide for quite some time, and certainly since being repainted by Ray Greenslade around 1992. They have been on a wall, on display since then.

GazaH

Postby GazaH » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi Guys,

My uncle has purchased a bulk lot of Old Malvern Stars from a clearance sale and I was wondering if I could get some help identifying if they are worth restoring? All would require repainting

- 5 star serial 15448 on rhs rear dropout

- 2 star 26" frame serial number 12482 with 8m above it on seat lug, this has dragster like bars and rear brake thinking it would be a good one for the son in a few years

- A nice complete 26" Womens Healing with 2 stars cast in the head stem and forks serial 4871 with 2M above it on seat lug _ very detailed hand painted art work roses on it shame the paint is in a bad way this would've been a beautiful bike once

- Multiple other 2 stars and a couple of 1 Stars, are these worth the trouble?

Thanks in advance

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Need photos unfortunately Gazza.

starnut

Postby starnut » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi team,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time, Warren and Clydesdale Scot and others who contribute. Have read through this post from time to time, and it's a lovely repository of and discussion about Malvern Star history.

Secondly, I have an eBay find I'd love some thoughts on. It's a ladies 3 Star frame, which it seems are pretty rare, but it's been "loved" to within an inch of its life and I'd love to know if anyone knows what it might have looked like originally, including components.

The serial no. is 2P14792, vertically embossed on the seat boss. I'd imagine this means it's a 1942 from Perth, but only guessing based on past posts. I'll add some pics from Photobucket in situ, including one of the serial no. (they're all here if you're interested; https://goo.gl/H3oGME). Bottom bracket has "040" stamped on it; assume this is pretty common, prob BSA?

Some concerns & curios:
- braze-on above chainring has been cut off, not sure if this was derailleur or mudguard?
- two braze-ons underneath top tube have been chopped off as well - anyone know what these might have been? I'd guess pump holder but not sure why anyone would chop these off, especially so roughly
- odd indentation on inside rear fork, not sure if this is original or wear
- front forks are unadorned (no stars) and don't have a dropout - had a 28" rim in these which I pried out carefully
- some frame welds seem pretty rough
- left crank passes very close to rear fork and some sign of rubbing; not sure if bent or just non-original
- seems to be an oil port on the top of the bottom bracket

As you can see, a bit of an interesting one. Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:26 am

ideally you need to get this catalogue

tedsbikes

Postby tedsbikes » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:14 pm

The braze-on on the lower down tube would have had a drilled piece extending to accept a chain guard, as seen in the image from the catalogue.
The braze-ons on the upper down tube were for pump pegs. On the inside of the left chain stay the wear would appear to be due to a rim rubbing on the frame, maybe due to a buckled wheel or loose or incorrect fitting.

This bike probably had 28 inch wheels originally, with Westwood rims and back-pedal brake, and full wet weather equipment i.e. mudguards, chain guard and a dress-net to prevent the rider's skirts getting caught in the wheel.

Decals for a restoration are available on eBay - see seller gts753 or his website (cyclomondo).

Ted

mattbrown

Postby mattbrown » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi Warren
I am a weekend mtn biker who loves riding way too much, last weekend my wife and I went to a garage sale and bought 2 bikes for $20 neither had any stickers or obvious markings but the first one was easy being a 1981 Hotfoot X Gusset BMX with genuine skyway tuffs. The second was the reason I am on this site as I was clueless as its so old, at first I thought it was 1950's but after spending hours of image searches I believe its a 1930's malven star (possibly earlier). the serial number is 2189. we bought it as a garden ornament but now its got me curious, the tyres look like they are melted rubber. its so cool I love it. What can you tell me? It is also not clear how to post a picture on here

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:50 pm

mattbrown wrote: It is also not clear how to post a picture on here
you will need to load the photos up to a hosting site such as Flickr and then post the link here
Philip

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:16 am

Re #2189. Where on the frame is the serial number located? Where are the stars?

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:39 am

Try again. Hopefully you can see photos.

Not pre 30, Im guessing about 65ish. Bought it on ebay over the weekend to add to my growing stable of Malvern Stars of a similar vintage. I know its a base model cheaper frame. Most of the frame looks the quality of basic skidstars I have. Just the rear drop out is different.

What can members tell me about this frame? Presume it was a budget model track bike that brakes could be fitted to. Looks like its had brakes fitted in a previous life.

Cheers Geoff

ImageUntitled by Geoff McDonald, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Geoff McDonald, on Flickr

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:45 am

Yet another bike advertised on eBay etc as a track bike just because it has rear facing fork ends.
Plastic star would make it late 1960's. A semi racer, not sure what it would have been called in the catalogue. Would have come with two hand brakes, and a double sided rear hub. A nice frame with original paint. Note the long wheelbase and mudguard clearances, even with 27" wheels.

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 pm

I knew it wasn't a track bike like a three or five star or similar. I have a couple skidstars in similar colors so bid and won. I just have not seen a low end frame with proper track style ends. would love to find an original brochure or ad.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:03 am

maccayak wrote:I knew it wasn't a track bike like a three or five star or similar. I have a couple skidstars in similar colors so bid and won. I just have not seen a low end frame with proper track style ends. would love to find an original brochure or ad.
Number of stars doesn't help identify a MS track bike either :) call those things "fixed gear ends" or something other than "Track ends" you will find adds for this bike in the Trove newspapers (Nat Lib.) , you have a rough decade to search shouldn't be hard to find some good info.
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

mattbrown

Postby mattbrown » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:41 pm

re# 2189 . Mr Bicycle passion...The stars are above the forks, one higher than the other separted by at least 6cm's. There are also stars at the shoulders of the forks on the sides. The 4 digit serial number is directly under the seat. There appears to be the number 5 above the serial number but I can not make out if its the letter M or a number after it. I would have to clean it up more. I hope this helps. If I get around to signing up to Flikr I might, its just so many bloody usernames and passwords these day its a joke.
Matt

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:52 pm

It would be good to see the bike before it is consigned to death in a garden. I agree it is hard to post images. My tip that I learnt is it seems easier to post images on a pc or similar and not a phone (for me), The mods will help you if needed.

sidnay

Postby sidnay » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:19 am

Hello Warren.
I am just getting my Dad's old bike into roadworthy condition again, and I am pretty sure it's a two-star. The green is not its original colour, I think it may have been yellow. The serial number at the top of the seat tube is hard to make out because of the crudeness of the green paintjob, but I think it is "8M17262". I don't know if it is noteworthy, but the stars in the two-star logo are replaced with the shape of Australia.
http://i.imgur.com/oEMoIvG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Q2gUaNO.jpg

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:41 pm

So it's an Austral, made by the Bruce Small co. Secondary brand to Malvern Star. 1948 serial number. Warren.

narcotics

Postby narcotics » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:53 pm

Hey guys I have what I believe is a 2 star, serial 01840 on the right drop out. 851 on the bottom bracket.
Any help on dating would be much appreciated.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:10 pm

#01840. Any serial starting with zero will usually be 1960's. The number alone is not sufficient to identify the bike though. And, if it has two stars on it, it is more than likely a 'two star', which, by the way, has never been a model name.

narcotics

Postby narcotics » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:35 pm

Please view this ad:

Malvern star vintage 2 star exercise bike,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/unley/me ... pp_android

I saw this and through it may be of interest. I'd steel the photos but I'm on my phone.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:50 am

Well that was an interesting excercise! And it's not even yours?

sidnay

Postby sidnay » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:05 am

@narcotics I just contacted the guy and he says that he can't find any numbers anywhere. A shame.