Pre 1930 Malvern Star serial numbers

Desotodude

Re: Pre 1930 Malvern Star serial numbers

Postby Desotodude » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi everyone. I am another Kiwi, living in Thames NZ, who has picked up what seems to be a very early 2 star MS. I got it from the scrap metal heap at the local dump. If I hadn't spotted it she would have gone on a one way trip to Pacific Steel!
It has it's original factory silver paint, and original Malvern Star decals.The paintwork is very rough & worn, but is definitely the original factory job. B S A is stamped underneath the bottom bracket, and the serial number at the top of the seat tube is 1006. The numerals have a delicate italic style rather than the block style you usually associate with numbering dies. No stars on the fork crown. The rear forks are detatchable (bolted in) and are a very slender type. This came to me as just a frame and fitted original forks, so no other componentry. I have just joined this forum today so have yet to figure out how to put up photos, but when I do I'll put some up.

I have just started to build it up into a road-going bike today, using as much early gear as possible. Although it's very scruffy I wanted to retain the original finish so I have gently scubbed the frame down with a open weave nylon scourer which cleaned off the rust dust etc, and I've sprayed a couple of coats of clear laquer on which will preserve what's there.

Any information on what age of machine I have here would be much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Arthur.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:44 pm

we need photos
see viewtopic.php?f=23&t=76629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on how you add them

Desotodude

Postby Desotodude » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:20 am

Thanks for that. With my daughter's help I'll try to post some shots. Oh, and when I said about the bolted-in rear forks, I meant the fork stays, not the forks themselves.

Although the 4-digit serial number suggests it's ancient, I personally think that the bike is later than that, probably in the 1930's. I say this because the front fork neck is the more conventional modern style where the headset is contained with a locking top ring, and accepts a split gooseneck that pulls up tight within the neck with an expander nut. I think if it was a really early machine it would have the older type pinch clamp set up that clamped a longer split fork neck around the handlebar stem.
So could it be that Malvern Star were made in New Zealand by a local builder under license, and they used their own numbering system. That may explain the very low 4-digit number? But I'm just guessing.

To access the photos, click this link: http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/anhar ... t=3&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards, Arthur.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:29 pm

#1006, Silver frame.

The chainstays, seatstays, and rear ends all look to be late 1920's, early 1930's.
The keyhole lugs would be mid 1930's or later. The BSA BB shell would normally be mid 1930's in a Malvern Star.
Early Malvern Star 4 digit numbers are usually on the left hand side of the seat lug, repeated on the fork steerer.
The front forks with rapid taper blades are later, possibly late 1940's?
Both the clip head style and locknut style headfittings were avialable before WW1. This is not an acurate way to date a frame.
The early adjusting race type headfittings were 30 tpi x 31/32" . Pretty easy to tell the difference as a normal 24 tpi x 1" lock nut and adjusting cup just fall on. Changeover date from 30 to 24 tpi varied considerably, but say 1930.
Take the forks out, and see whether there is a serial number stamped on the steerer.
Im reasonably sure thats not the original paint. Look for other colours inside the BB shell and head tube.
They are definitely mid 1950's factory decals on the main bar. You could buy them, so they could have been put on any time from about 1955.
Warren

Desotodude

Postby Desotodude » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:08 am

Many thanks Warren. Sorry about the slow reply; a busy time of year. Yes, inside the head tube there is green paint over a white primer, and the fork neck has the remnants of white primer as well, so I think you are right saying it has been repainted silver later on. The current paint job looked so old and authentic that I just assumed it was the factory original. I haven't had time to check the other features you mention, but will get back to the forum when I have got back on the spanners, probably in the new year now. Thanks again, Arthur.

healey100

Postby healey100 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi Warren,

Picked up this Malvern 2 Star " butchers" bike serial number 74677 . Nice pinch bolt bottom bracket and what appears to be original black BSA chainring and cranks.
Previous owner claims circa 1938 and belonged to Quintons or Queens Victoria Garage in Colac VIC. Sounds like great provenance - anyone know of such a place.
Any idea of its age?

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:10 pm

Yellow delivery bike #74677: Great find, very hard to get one with the front stand intact.

This serial number would place it in 1936. Possibly early 1937.

Can you check whether the BSA parts are black painted over nickel plating? Those rectangular section BSA cranks did not usually come in black. Mostly the black appeared during WW2, when nickel and chrome was diverted to weapons etc. The black painted BSA cranks are usually oval in section.

Warren

healey100

Postby healey100 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks Warren,

Did some research on Trove and spoke to a family member who remembers the bicycle and her late husbands and his fathers shop. Have since found out it did belonged to "Quinton Victoria Garage" in Murray St Colac with an interesting bicycle history as well. Apparently Quinton originated as a stage coach shop, then cycle shop, and apparently old man Quniton rode with "Oppy" on races from Melbourne to Warnembool?. Shop was then converted to a motor garage in 1938 and also sold bicycles including Malvern Stars. The name Victoria comes from the Victoria pub as the shop was located in the basement or next door to it.
Also would have had a sign under the top tube with Quinton Victoria Garage written on it.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/articl ... urn false;
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/articl ... urn false;

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article ... y=dateDesc

Appears to have black painted (and squared off cranks) and black chainring. Scraped away a little paint and no sign of nickel

Last edited by healey100 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:09 pm

healey100 wrote:Thanks Warren,

Did some research on Trove and spoke to a family member who remembers the bicycle and her late husbands and his fathers shop. Have since found out it did belonged to "Quinton Victoria Garage" in Murray St Colac with an interesting bicycle history as well. Apparently Quinton originated as a stage coach shop, then cycle shop, and apparently old man Quniton rode with "Oppy" on races from Melbourne to Warnembool?. Shop was then converted to a motor garage in 1938 and also sold bicycles including Malvern Stars. The name Victoria comes from the Victoria pub as the shop was located in the basement or next door to it.
Also would have had a sign under the top tube with Quinton Victoria Garage written on it.
Do you have a first name? There were 2 brothers who were good cyclists in the era - A L (Allan) Quinton set a record 100 mile time in the 1925 Colac to Melbourne, narrowly beating his brother N F (Norman) Quinton.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

healey100

Postby healey100 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:49 pm

I think the lady mentioned Alan as her late husband's father.

here are the brothers again, news report also referencing the garage " used to seal the machines"?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article ... rchLimits=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

samuel1337

Postby samuel1337 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:25 pm

My Granddad has a pre 1930 malvern with original paint.

6M26924 in a different spot than the serials that I've seen here.

Can somebody please help me identify the type of cycle? the limited information on the web led me here.

I think that it's a custom bike as I'm unable to find anything quite like it.

Thank you in advance! Photos included below - beautiful bike!

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:12 am

6M in the serial number is 1946 Melbourne

are there any stampings on the back of the chainring and crank arms?

did it have gears earlier in its life?
and what are your plans for it?

samuel1337

Postby samuel1337 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:09 pm

Wow thank you very much!

We're hoping to give it a good home with a collector or a museum.

I've asked my granddad about the markings I will let you know when I hear back.

samuel1337

Postby samuel1337 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:49 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:6M in the serial number is 1946 Melbourne

are there any stampings on the back of the chainring and crank arms?

did it have gears earlier in its life?
and what are your plans for it?

No markings but it did used to have gears

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:03 pm

any idea of the gears, and are they stored in a box somewhere?

and if you indicate your suburb/city it might assist in getting expressions of interest to you by Private Message.

samuel1337

Postby samuel1337 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Unfortunately we don't have the gears but it did used to have them, according to granddad.

the bike is located in central Victoria, Bendigo (3550)

I've yet to come across anything similar here on these message boards.

Any additional information regarding the model would be appreciated!

samuel1337

Postby samuel1337 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:09 pm

Hagar

Postby Hagar » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:35 pm

I recently picked up this Two Star as a bare frame in fairly sorry condition from Bicycle Revolution in BNE. I've thrown it together with bits that I had laying around, and it's quite nice to ride. The serial number on the seat clamp is 51M3755. What sort of age do you think it would be?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Hagar wrote: The serial number on the seat clamp is 51M3755. What sort of age do you think it would be?
1951Melbourne

Hagar

Postby Hagar » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:45 pm

Cool, thanks. It's going to get a bit of love and a more suitable rebuild. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:50 pm

please do. It is the period I like most.

Sloherocks

Postby Sloherocks » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi Warren, I've acquired a three star frame today that I'd like to rebuild, any information on the date manufactured would be very much appreciated, this is the oldest frame that I've come across thus far.have recently rebuilt a two star that I'm pretty sure was from the fifties or sixties but unfortunately I sold it to a friend before I found this thread and not realising how much I liked it. I'm currently trying to buy it back from him (we'll see)
The serial number on the dropout of the three star reads
8M26889
And underneath the bottom bracket reads
Made in England, with what appears like CR25 in between the lettering. on the left
What looks like
S1
And a V
On the right.
The bottom of the BB is pretty hard to make out so these numbers may be incorrect but I'm pretty sure the dropout number is correct..

Thanks in advance, look forward to hearing back from you.
Dan

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:20 pm

Built in Melbourne in 1948 Sloherocks.

Sloherocks

Postby Sloherocks » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:50 am

Thanks very much, I'll be sure to put up some pictures on the web and a link once I've put some love back into it

Mobileten

Postby Mobileten » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:31 am

I have a five star with 7r47 stamped into the right hand dropout. Bsa bb shell made
In england. Is this a bike made in 47?