Van Werkhoven - Any clues?

Carfax

Van Werkhoven - Any clues?

Postby Carfax » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:22 pm

I just bought a 2nd hand lugged steel road bike with Van Werkhoven decals on the downtube, but no other identifying markings. I've read that VW worked out of Brisbane, but that's about it. Anyone know what model I might have or when it might have been built? The Campy groupset suggests mid-1980s.

Forks are Reynolds 531, the dropouts are labelled Columbus. Paint scheme is yellow fade to blue at the front end.

Rides like its on rails. I like it, but I feel we haven't been properly introduced.

Thanks for any info on bike or manufacturer.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:21 pm

Did a bit of Googling, there's another thread HERE where someone was interested in the name, though there's not much more about it there ro on the Bicycle Museum Canberra site.

Also found some little bits on other forums on the net. Apparently van Werkhoven was from Sandgate, QLD. Probably worked at and maybe owned Hoffy Cycles, which apparently is still there, so you could ring up and ask, perhaps. Also, just out of interest, that's where Eric Hendren built, which is where and whom Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch started out under, and therefore we now get Llewellyn bikes.

Now look what you've done, now I want one. Either one. A van Werkhoven or a Llewellyn, I don't care!

singletracking

Postby singletracking » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:22 pm

I'm pretty sure that frame is made by Hoffy, but I'm sure others will know the significance of the actual name.

Carfax

Postby Carfax » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:08 pm

Thanks for those leads. I'll put the squeeze on Hoffy and see if they lay claim to it. In the meantime I'll also scope out some Hoffy and Hendren frames online and see if there are any family resemblances, eg lugs, dropouts. I'll let you know what I find out.

Carfax

Postby Carfax » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:22 am

Speaking with Jeff (?) at Hoffy Cycles, I've discovered VWs were nothing to do with Hendren or Hoffy. VW worked in Southport in the 70s and 80s, and apparently his racing and track frames were held in high regard. He only worked with the best tubesets from Reynolds and Columbus. Confusion about the provenance of VW bikes might stem from the fact that Hoffy would build bikes up around his frames at customer request, and on such occasions the bike would carry a Hoffy Cycles sticker. If you find one for sale about 54cm, let Jeff know as he'd be keen.

awhipps

Postby awhipps » Thu May 08, 2008 5:17 pm

I do not know what happened to Van Werkhoven, but I do know his name was Andrew Van Werkhoven. He operated on the Gold Coast, Labrador or Southport.

In the lat 1980's my father opened a small shop in Toowoomba QLD, and he had a few frames produced by Andrew over the years.

The first frame was for himself, Tange Prestige, 54cm. The rear stays are parallel with the down tube, much like a GT. This bike has a complete suntour sprint group set. It is also still sitting in his shed, hardly used.

The second I remember was Reynolds 531, I think this frame had columbus dropouts and fork tips, as these were not supplied with a reynolds tube kit. There were about 15 - 20 Van Werkhoven frames we put through our store in the late 80's and early nineties, ( we were only a small concern).

Andrew would also repair and repaint most other brands of frames, these frames would recieve Van Werkhoven stickers. So as to differentiate his own frames from those he repaired, I seem to remember a small sticker somewhere on the rear stays that read manufactured by Andrew Van Werkhoven, I do not recall a sticker like this on the frames he repaired. I also seem to remember this sticker was not well adhered and would often come off his original frames.

Andrew built wonderful frames and his ability as a painter was outstanding. I think he also began his own chrome plating business as part of the frame building. I remember hearing that in the early to mid nineties that this part of his business was almost taking over from the frame building, and he may still be operating somewhere on the Gold Coast as an electroplater. I think the excess cost of hand built frames as compared to what you could buy from one of the big manufacturers put an end to many of the small frame builders of the 80's and 90's.

I hope this information has helped.

awhipps

Postby awhipps » Thu May 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Just looked in the Yellow pages on the Gold Coast and found this.

Van Werkhoven Manufacturing Pty Ltd
Factory 7 15 Reichert Drv Ernest QLD 4214 - map
ph: (07) 5594 9448
Engineers--General

The link to the map puts this operation within a couple of streets of where I remember Andrews business was in the early 90's.

Cheers
Adam

LittleWheelsandBig

Postby LittleWheelsandBig » Thu May 08, 2008 6:57 pm

Carfax wrote:Speaking with Jeff (?) at Hoffy Cycles

Geoff

Carfax

Postby Carfax » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. My frame certainly has Columbus dropouts, so perhaps its Reynolds 531 - only the forks are labelled. As there is no 'made by' sticker on the stays there is a chance it is a repaint of another brand. The mystery deepens. Still, it's great to ride, and I guess that's really all that matters.

Joshua VW

Postby Joshua VW » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:01 pm

Hello all, I don't really ride but once I found this thread I had to post.

My Dad is Andrew Van Werkhoven and he doesn't make bikes anymore.
I knew he made good bikes but I didn't realise how good every one thinks they are!
He used to work on the Gold Coast but doesn't anymore.
He doesn't live at that address posted above either.
But sorry, I'm not going to give out his address publicly.
He hasn't made or painted bikes for ages.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:02 am

Hi Joshua,

Thank you very much for posting. I agree, if he is not in business any more then don't give out the address. Obviously we all welcome any information you and your father are happy to share. It is also useful to know that original bikes stickers / decals are in high demand so if there are in fact boxes of old stickers or sticker designs, let me know.

Cheers
Christopher

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:51 pm

What a great thread - most enjoyable reading.

reddogbic

Re: Van Werkhoven - Any clues?

Postby reddogbic » Fri May 01, 2009 2:30 pm

So from what I read he (Andrew) is a little like OB1-Kenobi on Tattooine. He would be in strong demand for training young padawans in Victoria (and elsewhere) who are gearing up for a formal frame building certification with input from another jedi master Brett Richardson.

My brother recently looked at a Werkhoven for $150 but it looked like someone had tried to chisel off the headset - some nice dents in the fork tube as a result. Maybe for $150 its worth it just to hang on the wall ?
------------------------------------------------
* I have big arms from undoing clusters *

rheicel

Re:

Postby rheicel » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:17 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Hi Joshua,

Thank you very much for posting. I agree, if he is not in business any more then don't give out the address. Obviously we all welcome any information you and your father are happy to share. It is also useful to know that original bikes stickers / decals are in high demand so if there are in fact boxes of old stickers or sticker designs, let me know.

Cheers
Christopher

Bump!
Ummm, I want to get some stickers too.

tjstyles69z

Postby tjstyles69z » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:19 am

I just inherited a Van Werkoven in beautiful condition for it's age.
I'ts got Reynolds 531 frame and blade forks with Sante running gear and brakes also Campagnolo rims.
I wish I could keep it but I don't have the room and I'm scared it will get damaged or stolen, so I'm looking to sell it but unsure what the value of this would be.
I'f anyone could help I would be very thankful.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:37 am

ebay, 99c.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Where are you located? I might be interested.

tjstyles69z

Postby tjstyles69z » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:57 am

Noosa Heads on the Sunshine Coast.

tjstyles69z

Postby tjstyles69z » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:58 am

munga wrote:ebay, 99c.

You're a funny man Munga, like your style.
Last edited by tjstyles69z on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:57 am

*you're*

i'm serious. if you don't know what it's worth, let the market decide. people sell houses at auction every day.
without seeing the bike, i think either side of $500 is about right. $1000 is a dream, $100 is a steal.

tjstyles69z

Postby tjstyles69z » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:48 am

munga wrote:*you're*

i'm serious. if you don't know what it's worth, let the market decide. people sell houses at auction every day.
without seeing the bike, i think either side of $500 is about right. $1000 is a dream, $100 is a steal.

Thanks for the input Munga . I don't know about you but when I Auction a object I like to set a reserve price. I also would get a house valued for a few different reasons and set a reserve price accordingly.
Markets are changing constantly especially in the vintage retro area. I know the quote "It's only worth what someone's willing to pay" very well but was just hoping there was a someone nice enough to give some advice.
I do appreciate your estimate and will take it on board.Image

munga

Postby munga » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:21 am

good luck. just viewed your pb pics and if it was mine, i'd be quite happy with $400.
the frame's clean, the groupset is fine, the wheels are good too, but the rest really needs looking at. new tyres, tape, saddle and brake hoods could cost up to $300, and if you did all of that, you might not see an adequate return on your investment.
perhaps a few werky owners could chime in with what they sold/bought theirs for. great frames, but like most australian frame builders, not as valuable as their eurotrash counterparts.
as founder/admin of the biggest retro bicycle marketplace on facebook, i can only suggest you find a price you're willing to take, and go with it.

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:28 am

Part it out if you can be bothered.

Sante group & wheels will fetch maybe 2-300 alone. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=83433&p=1242504

tjstyles69z

Postby tjstyles69z » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:15 am

munga wrote:good luck. just viewed your pb pics and if it was mine, i'd be quite happy with $400.
the frame's clean, the groupset is fine, the wheels are good too, but the rest really needs looking at. new tyres, tape, saddle and brake hoods could cost up to $300, and if you did all of that, you might not see an adequate return on your investment.
perhaps a few werky owners could chime in with what they sold/bought theirs for. great frames, but like most australian frame builders, not as valuable as their eurotrash counterparts.
as founder/admin of the biggest retro bicycle marketplace on facebook, i can only suggest you find a price you're willing to take, and go with it.

Thanks Munga. Sounds like good advise and you're absolutely right about the tyre,tape,and brake hoods,well spotted.

tjstyles69z

Postby tjstyles69z » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:17 am

Blakeylonger wrote:Part it out if you can be bothered.

Sante group & wheels will fetch maybe 2-300 alone. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=83433&p=1242504

Thanks Mate, might be a good option.
Cheers.