Van Werkhoven - Any clues?

morini

Re: Van Werkhoven - Any clues?

Postby morini » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:25 am

I agree on the parting it out. If the frame isn't your size then someone else will want this for sure and the same goes for the gruppo. I read on another thread weeks ago that Sante was a lot better quality than anyone expected and as the link shows, it's desirable.

Some things to keep in mind about the parts-

Many of us are looking for older Mavic or Campag rims and we will buy complete wheels just to get them. Sometimes it's the hubs that are the attraction eg Campag Super Record, Suntour Superbe or Dura-Ace. Have both and the price climbs.

Keep the stem and handle bars together because 99 times out of 100 removing it can leave deep scratches in the bars. Some buyers will be happy to take the patina with them.

Don't ever leave a cluster on the rear hub if you can. The tools are cheap or take it to a bike shop. I've bought hubs before that are still in the shed years later because the seller didn't remove the cluster and I couldn't be bothered going through all the buggerising around.

Throw the chain in the bin, they're cheap as.

Headsets and seat posts have a market of their own, particularly rarer versions like Camapgnolo Super Record, Dura-Ace and Suntour Superbe. Check the size, as a rule a 27.2 seat post is worth more than the others. Shimano headsets tend to be pretty flimsy and require special tools sometimes, so be careful. Again take it to a bike shop to if you don't have the right tools. A scratched gouged headset isn't worth anything to anyone.

Don't shy away from selling a frame because of the postage issues. Australia Post will send frames for much more reasonable rates than a courier company.

As Munga said, the sum of the parts never equates to what you can sell a bike for. Let the market decide either by using his site with a price in mind or auction it via fleabay.

This is not my cup of tea, I like euro trash, but there's no argument that this is a rare, high quality, desirable, locally built steel frame chased by retro builders, collectors or fixy builders and I've seen frames just like this on ebay fetch up to $300+ on a good day. Put it this way, if it was in a shop they'd be asking more than that.

Cheers
Chris

dohab

Postby dohab » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:24 pm

Having recently got into the older market I do appreciate a nice steel frame. Your right Munga the euro stuff can come at a price. Having said that I still kick myself for selling my Eric Hendren and Kerry Hopkins back in the day because everybody at the time was riding aluminium. Tj a friend of nine had a Wheelset built with Sante hubs man they rolled nice. Yep maybe part it out not much Sante out there. Still nice frame but to big for me. Cheers

Gizmoe

Postby Gizmoe » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:03 pm

tjstyles69z wrote:
munga wrote:*you're*

i'm serious. if you don't know what it's worth, let the market decide. people sell houses at auction every day.
without seeing the bike, i think either side of $500 is about right. $1000 is a dream, $100 is a steal.

Thanks for the input Munga . I don't know about you but when I Auction a object I like to set a reserve price. I also would get a house valued for a few different reasons and set a reserve price accordingly.
Markets are changing constantly especially in the vintage retro area. I know the quote "It's only worth what someone's willing to pay" very well but was just hoping there was a someone nice enough to give some advice.
I do appreciate your estimate and will take it on board.Image

I'd like to know the history of this Bike & where it came from? & How was it Acquired?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Gizmoe wrote:I'd like to know the history of this Bike & where it came from? & How was it Acquired?

In 1876 British engineer Harry John Lawson designed the safety bicycle as an alternative to the penny-farthing. It was acquired by exchanging legal tender for goods...

...seriously though, did you read the thread? They were made in Queensland. Occasionally they came up for sale on the second hand market; think Gumtree, Ebay, Facebook marketplace...

Gizmoe

Postby Gizmoe » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks for the smart ass reply Buddy.

This Van Werkhoven was my Brothers bike that he purchased from Kev Olsen Cycles in Toowoomba. I didn't know that he sold it & I was wanting to know how it was acquired as he now lives overseas. I had told him that if he ever wanted to sell if then I wanted it.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Gizmoe wrote:Thanks for the smart ass reply Buddy.

No worries! Your vague post prompted it. But I'm glad you came back with some more information.

Probably best to send tjstyles69z a private message, that way s/he'll get an e-mail notification if s/he doesn't come here anymore...the post was a couple of years back.

Nice bike, too. Worth chasing.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:59 am

Back in the day (early 90s), VW was considered every bit as good as, if not better than a Kenevans in the Brisbane Road Racing community. And we all regarded Kenevens as the standard ... Euro rigs were pretty uncommon due to the price and Brisbane was really still a blue collar town at the time.

VW were certainly uncommon but always had astonishing paint jobs. Always the best tubings as well. I have always been keen to get my hands on one, but never ever saw one in a larger size.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Message sent Velo13