thoughts on this frame can anybody identify

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

thoughts on this frame can anybody identify

Postby crog » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:40 pm

Further to my other post re : steel fixy frame.

Anybody care to comment on this as a potential restore for fixy

Che

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Track-Fixed-Whee ... dZViewItem
crog

by BNA » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:43 pm

BNA

Postby Kid_Carbine » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:43 pm

No idea on the identity, but it just 'might' be a pre war frame. [perhaps] This headset was being phased out starting from about 1957 with the better quality frames geting the Continental headset first.
It might be 50's but I suspect not.

The chances of it still being new & unused would seem to be about zip going on the paint, the lack of pinstriping or decals & it has what I suspect are generic replacement forks. The rear facing fork ends do not a dedicated track bike make either as all single speed, & Sturmey Archer equiped bikes came like this & quite a few that got chain gears too.
The absence of pump pegs also means nothing, as a large percentage of new bikes came with clamp-on pump pegs back then.

None the less, to looks to have been a pretty good bike in its day & the paint job is probably worth the current price of $76. It could build up into a very nice toy indeed.
There are currently six bidders that think so.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
Kid_Carbine

Postby rustychisel » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:48 pm

I can tell you it's been repainted (over the seat pillar binding bolt!!) by a monkey, possibly to hide a multitude of sins. You don't know how old it is (I'd guess 1940s based on lugs and oiler in BB assembly etc) or what condition it is... rusted internally, tubes straight etc etc. Fork appears never to have been drilled for a brake, and it may be a genuine track frame from many years ago... there's simply no way of knowing and the seller appears not to know either.
rustychisel

Postby MountGower » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:26 pm

Che

It has a 21" seat tube and top tube. It's too small for you anyway.
MountGower

Postby crog » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Thanks Guys will keep up thew search and see what pops up no pressure to do it just a tought to build something up as a bit of a hobby whilst in Sydney

Che
crog

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:42 pm

Kid_Carbine wrote:No idea on the identity, but it just 'might' be a pre war frame. [perhaps] This headset was being phased out starting from about 1957 with the better quality frames geting the Continental headset first.
It might be 50's but I suspect not.

The chances of it still being new & unused would seem to be about zip going on the paint, the lack of pinstriping or decals & it has what I suspect are generic replacement forks. The rear facing fork ends do not a dedicated track bike make either as all single speed, & Sturmey Archer equiped bikes came like this & quite a few that got chain gears too.
The absence of pump pegs also means nothing, as a large percentage of new bikes came with clamp-on pump pegs back then.

None the less, to looks to have been a pretty good bike in its day & the paint job is probably worth the current price of $76. It could build up into a very nice toy indeed.
There are currently six bidders that think so.

Yup all of that and I will add that the lugs have been heavily filed down (lightened) and modified from a standard set so someone took quite some care in the build. The fork crown and "D' style forks look original to me but the rake is quite tight. Maybe track maybe an innovator, maybe replacement as Kid says. What you can see of the building, especially around the seat cluster is very tidy compared to most Oz production stuff. I've seen a lot worse paint jobs even if he didn't bother to remove the seat binder bolt!
Cheers
Richard
WyvernRH

Return to Retro biking