You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

miss_emma_jade

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby miss_emma_jade » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:00 pm

acquired this today...

ImageMalvern Star 5th Ave. by miss_emma_jade,

ImageDSC00082 by miss_emma_jade,

when were these made? its a fast little bike, but hard work on the hills.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:44 pm

morini wrote:I'm not surprised considering the depth and breadth of the number of fabulous bikes you've owned. You should paste up a Munga's thread because I've lost track of how many, to me anyway, desirable frames and gruppos you've shared with us. Apart from the pre rear mech era is there a brand you haven't pursued?
cheers, morini. i've had 50 or so bikes over the last ten or so years, which sounds like a lot until you see the "bike brands" thread, and you realise how little you've dug.
QuangVuong wrote:The 700c wheels fit nicely in the frame. Did it originally come with 27" or 700c? I'll have to try some 700c wheels in the 82 Competition I'm building atm.
the raleigh team ti pro came with 700c wheels. it's a 1978 model.
QuangVuong wrote:
morini wrote:Apart from the pre rear mech era is there a brand you haven't pursued?
It'll be anything lugged carbon wouldn't it.
i've only had a carbon lugged vitus and a cfr1. the vitus left a bad taste in my wallet. i'll rebuild it one day, but i'm in no hurry to throw more money at an alloy-lugged carbon-tubed frame ever again.
oh, i also have had a couple of look 585's which are carbon lugs and carbon tubes.

also, i've shifted the wheelset on the raleigh. it now has some silver record 10s hubs laced to silver open pro's. classic looking wheelset with the gumwalls, and just for fun, i put it on the scales. it's still over 9kg ;)

ryanscott1991

Postby ryanscott1991 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Finished my semi restoration on this Lennie Rogers I bought a couple of months back and took it for its first spin today. Thrilled with how it rides. Managed to salvage almost everything off the bike and really just gave everything a solid clean/polish/grease. I'm still completely unaware of the tubing used on the bike, if any Lennie owners out there have any info I would be all ears. It's campy dropouts and bcm lugs if that's of any help

TedDancin

Postby TedDancin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:10 pm

That's very tidy, nice work. I have a Lennie Rogers of a similar vintage (about '79), confirmed as being built by Jim Bundy, who was one of two builders working for Lennie at the time. Mine is Reynolds 531, but unbranded dropouts, and was built up with early Dura Ace. Not sure if that gives you any clues, but Peter Bundy might be able to shed some more light on it.

ryanscott1991

Postby ryanscott1991 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:37 am

Good tip TedDancin, I sent Peter an email and he gave me some helpful advice and I've now determined it is infact Reynolds 531 also, which I'm pretty stoked with.

sorted

Postby sorted » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:07 am

I picked this up today form Gumtree. Apologies for the rushed photos - I had a limited window of opportunity to get it in to the shed before my wife noticed it!

The date code on the Shimano components (mostly 105) is early 1999

It needs a good clean and a service but seems pretty straight and has been well looked after. I don't know much about Kerry Hopkins bikes, but a quick Google shows that it was hand built in Sydney, probably uses nice tubing (although there are no labels) and is certainly a cut above my current Ricardo Viva!

From what I've read, KH track frames are well regarded, but I couldn't find much about the road frames. I'm looking forward to restoring it and riding it, but in the meantime, does anyone know more about it or have any suggestions as to how I can find out more? Thanks in advance.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:42 pm

Nice Hopkins. Looks like Reynolds, prob 501 if your seat stays aren't tapered.

Have a quick search on BNA and you'll find my thread with a lot of info on Hopkins himself and the frames he built.

But give Kerry a call(ABC Bicycles. Just find which store he's at) and tell him the serial on the BB shell, and he'll tell you what it is. It would be the last lot he built(~mid 90s), going off the decals as well as the group that's on it.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:49 pm

Nice, I saw that Kerry Hopkins pop up too, a good deal at its price just for the KH name..I was going to send a text for it but decided Christmas presents/family stuff had to come first!

I can't be the only one who bemoans working 8am-5pm..i always seem to miss out on good Gumtree deals because I can't get there fast enough!

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:22 pm

nice bike Sorted, and brifters!

may i ask what you got it for?

sorted

Postby sorted » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:03 am

Have a quick search on BNA and you'll find my thread with a lot of info on Hopkins himself and the frames he built.

But give Kerry a call(ABC Bicycles. Just find which store he's at) and tell him the serial on the BB shell, and he'll tell you what it is.
Thanks for the advice - I read your track thread with interest. Looks a nice bike and a lot of fun.

I'll give ABC cycles a bell and see if I can find out more about mine, although it's probably a job for the new year now. I still find it faintly mind-blowing that I can phone up the bloke who built it and talk to him about it. I also mess about with old cameras and information from lens designers of a similar era is rare and prized; people seem to devote significant portions of their lives to tracking down similar information!
Nice, I saw that Kerry Hopkins pop up too, a good deal at its price just for the KH name
I was very lucky with the timing; doesn't happen often!
may i ask what you got it for?
A steal, I think, at $80. It does need a bit of TLC, though (a few scratches and chips to the paint; needs new cables, brake blocks, bar tape, saddle, tyres, chain, chainrings, cassette bottom bracket and I can feel the pitting in the wheel bearings whilst riding it!)

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:25 pm

You've got a good one there. I had one of his frames in the 90s made from 653 and it was well built, handled well and the paint work was superb. Far better than the Ken Evans that replaced it. :roll:

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:08 pm

To right for $80. I would say you bought the brifters and he threw in the rest!

bighux

Postby bighux » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:01 pm

First post, picked up this from the local tip shop, new wheelset, converted to a square tape bottom bracket and now have a pretty comfortable little cruiser.

Just have to get rid of this seat though and find something a bit more fitting.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:32 pm

Good old Govies. A Ballarat icon.

Are you in Ballarat, or has this one travelled?

One of my colleagues rides a Gove to work occasionally; similar to yours, but all original and in "renovator's delight" condition. It was his Dad's, and I believe, his Grandfather's before that. Current owner is in his 50s. I reckon his Grandfather may have been the last one to do any kind of maintenance on it :-D

I picked up a Repco Superlite from the Ballarat tip shop last weekend. Stashed in the shed... will get around to doing something with it one day...

weldin_mike_27

Postby weldin_mike_27 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:22 pm

Hey everyone, anyway to tell if a bike is anything special when it has no stickers/ badges/markings on it, apart from those on the handle bars/head stem?ImageImage
ImageImage

koen

Postby koen » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:56 pm

Someone on here may recognise it from the components. It looks like a quality midrange bike like an old Apollo or something that isn't worth anything much. But is a nice enough bike to keep on the road for sure. We all proabably have a few of these bikes we wish were worth the price of spending money on them but they generally aren't unless you plan to ride it yourself.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:48 pm

Looks like some form of tourer with its barend shifters and triple crank. Well worth doing up if the frame is still sound.

weldin_mike_27

Postby weldin_mike_27 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Has sekei wheels and alps written on the bars.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:50 pm

These are just standard Japanese parts manufacturers from the 70's and 80's, they did not build the frame.

weldin_mike_27

Postby weldin_mike_27 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Awww. Haha.

gazo

Postby gazo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:55 pm

weldin_mike_27 wrote:Hey everyone, anyway to tell if a bike is anything special when it has no stickers/ badges/markings on it, apart from those on the handle bars/head stem?
You could see if there are any stickers hidden under the paintwork, and you could check if there is a serial number engraved on the frame under the crankset. But best advice is to read this excellent summary: "Idiots guide to salvaged 80s roadies" viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33573

Whatever it is, it probably rides better than the latest crap from Kmart. So don't stess about the value, just enjoy the ride! :D

weldin_mike_27

Postby weldin_mike_27 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:53 am

Thanks mate.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:07 am

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:54 am

That's one hell of a way to start the new year! :)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:59 am

That is one great ride