You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

P!N20

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby P!N20 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:26 pm

Threw my Pinarello Montello around the Giro della Donna last weekend. Happy to report it performed flawlessly and even got a few compliments along the way.

^ That's me in the hurt locker. The only other vintage bike I spotted was an Olmo which looked mint. Great ride, would ride again.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:25 am

P!N20 wrote:Threw my Pinarello Montello around the Giro della Donna last weekend. Happy to report it performed flawlessly and even got a few compliments along the way.

^ That's me in the hurt locker. The only other vintage bike I spotted was an Olmo which looked mint. Great ride, would ride again.
Well done Lyndon.

I ride my Montello in the annual Blayney to Bathurst where I also only see a couple of other older bikes. It gets lots of compliments too.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:37 am

^ Vintage Pinarello Owners Club. Membership: 2.

ian theobald

Postby ian theobald » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi .I love to post a picture of my Bike [CENTURY ] but not sure how to post as normally would just go to insert file.
Anyway have had this bike for over 40 yrs but alas repainted long ago so has lost original art work.
from memory had Red running writing with the logo Century with lots of scroll work.
Lugs on frame are very ornate cut out in a clover leaf design with other cut outs and arrows but strangely had lug less front forks.
Frame has brazed rings along top tube down to rear wheel but confused as if it were for gears then where would brake cables run??
Bike was set up with track fixed gear with ATP type handle bar stem .
everthing was very rusty as had been out doors against a shed for some tine so I replaced with alloy fittings back in the 80,s.
If any one has some knowledge on possible origins would love to hear or where I can get correct period fittings as think would of been made in the 50,s.Thanks ian
Gave up trying to work out how to use photo bucket

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:23 pm

Try this one Ian, no account needed
http://cyclebucket.com/
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:58 pm

Built up my newly imported Eddy Merckx Panasonic frame into a Sunday morning coffee shop bike path cruiser. No need to comment, I know you love it !!

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:09 pm

^ Phwoar, AX groupset <3

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:25 pm

My old GEFSCO died the other day after a crack formed a 1\3 of the way round the down tube, the lower headtube lug was filed to a point which caused a stress riser, so it was going to happen eventually.

As I needed a roadie frame I pulled the old Apollo V frame off the hook, I was going to rebuild it with the original Suntour Superbe parts, and threw my mixed bag of Campagnolo parts on it.

Its not to bad of a frame to ride. A little more twitchy than the GEFSCO. I don't think it climbs as well as the GEFSCO either, I am putting it down to the slightly heavier gauge tubing which doesn't flex as nicely. The Apollo V uses Tange Champion 2 whilst the GEFSCO is Tange Champion 1.

The Apollo weighs in at 10.1 kg as seen in the piccie, about 1/2 kg heavier than the slightly larger GEFSCO. Obviously the heavier gauge tubing adds up but so too does the chroming under the paint and the extra cable guides

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:26 pm

Derny Driver that thing is sweet! I always wonder how comfy those style of bars are that bend back toward you, how do they go? Does it handle twitchy with those on that style of frame or all good?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:14 pm

Scott, are those 27inch tyres or 650B? They look like a pretty big volume either way.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:29 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Scott, are those 27inch tyres or 650B? They look like a pretty big volume either way.
No mate. 700c Vittoria SC 25mm. On the Open Pro's they measure 26mm.

Fast tyres but I only get about 4000km out of a rear before they are worn out and starting to chunk off. Joys of an open tubular construction. Perfect for this sort of bike though

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:28 am

Derny Driver wrote:Built up my newly imported Eddy Merckx Panasonic frame into a Sunday morning coffee shop bike path cruiser. No need to comment, I know you love it !!
Tiz 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:29 am

singlespeedscott wrote:My old GEFSCO died the other day after a crack formed a 1\3 of the way round the down tube, the lower headtube lug was filed to a point which caused a stress riser, so it was going to happen eventually.

As I needed a roadie frame I pulled the old Apollo V frame off the hook, I was going to rebuild it with the original Suntour Superbe parts, and threw my mixed bag of Campagnolo parts on it.

Its not to bad of a frame to ride. A little more twitchy than the GEFSCO. I don't think it climbs as well as the GEFSCO either, I am putting it down to the slightly heavier gauge tubing which doesn't flex as nicely. The Apollo V uses Tange Champion 2 whilst the GEFSCO is Tange Champion 1.

The Apollo weighs in at 10.1 kg as seen in the piccie, about 1/2 kg heavier than the slightly larger GEFSCO. Obviously the heavier gauge tubing adds up but so too does the chroming under the paint and the extra cable guides

That's a nice old Apollo. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:53 pm

The long of memory may recall the Reynolds 531 frame I found in a skip bin early last year, well I've finally gotten around to finishing refurbing it. Had been hunting down NOS Shimano 600EX stuff and finally found the shifters I was wanting a few weeks ago. It rides nice and I think I prefer it to the Paino :-0

ImageFakenago by Grant White, on Flickr

ImageFakenago by Grant White, on Flickr

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:08 pm

^ Like it. Lose the Biopace rings though.

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:32 pm

P!N20 wrote:^ Like it. Lose the Biopace rings though.
I vote keep them. I love seeing them in unexpected places. It's like a little Sheldon Brown hat tip.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:42 pm

I definitely do remember that one. That DT panel looks a bit low though. Needs to be centred about 170mm from the BB and the DT bosses, rather than the actual middle of the DT.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Nice. The Reynolds label reminds me of the old 531sl label

munga

Postby munga » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:20 pm

hello boys and girls, you might remember me from such threads as "repco - i'm a big fan", and "tomatoes - why are they so red?"
been a while since i contributed anything remotely useful on here. facebook groups are the fashion, brah.

here is my most recent bike. it's a work in progress. details being refined, as this is all i had on hand to get it on the road with.
saddle, stem - i know already. it's ugly.

frame is an eddy merckx 10th anniversary (century geo) in slx

munga

Postby munga » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:24 pm

asdf.
Last edited by munga on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bendo

Postby Bendo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:48 am

Image20170119_070040 by 弁慶, on Flickr

Not an old bike, but definitely retro: my new 650 x 42B randonneur, made by Toei in Kawaguchi City. As far as they knew I was their first Australian customer! Made from a mix of Kaisei 017 and 019 steel tubing, lugless, with internal brake cable and wiring. Mix of classic Japanese and French components. Very happy boy me! b :D

edd-there

Postby edd-there » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:46 pm

Bendo wrote:Image20170119_070040 by 弁慶, on Flickr

Not an old bike, but definitely retro: my new 650 x 42B randonneur, made by Toei in Kawaguchi City. As far as they knew I was their first Australian customer! Made from a mix of Kaisei 017 and 019 steel tubing, lugless, with internal brake cable and wiring. Mix of classic Japanese and French components. Very happy boy me! b :D
Is that a double chain ring in the front? Looks rare, what's the tooth count on the smaller ring?

Bendo

Postby Bendo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Yes it is a double. The rings are TA. They still make them new. They are flat, no ramps or pins. The rings are 46 and 28. The 46 covers 90% of daily riding. The 28 comes in handy for big climbs, heavy loads, climbs on loose gravel where you have to stay in the saddle, etc. The Cyclone front mech handles the difference not probs. b

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Beautiful Bike Bendo, I know a couple of guys with Toei's the workmanship is amazing.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:53 pm

Such a sweet ride. Very jealous