You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

adrianmbrooks77

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby adrianmbrooks77 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:23 pm

Thanks mate! I got some Scwalbe Active 27 x 1 1/4 at about 80 psi i think. Its a pretty tough tyre and i liked the gumwall. Followed the shopkeepers advice, but im pretty happy with them!
Left overs? Er, no, they are.... spares.....

miaj10

Postby miaj10 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:14 am

find_bruce wrote:
miaj10 wrote:first post here in forum

project for wifey

LG wrote:Well I think your wife has the best deal out of that lot, nice looking frame, post more pics once built up.
You & me both
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130585341 ... otostream/

Wifey's bike almost done just need bar tape and look for right seat post and saddle.

also upgraded my centurion le Mans from 27 inch to 700c mavic GP4s rim with Dura ace hubs

RIDER321

Postby RIDER321 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:44 am

Very nice!

What components are on the Guerciotti?

miaj10

Postby miaj10 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:02 pm

RIDER321 wrote:Very nice!

What components are on the Guerciotti?
Thanks Rider!

The group set is shimano 600 tricolor 8speed and wheelset is rigida dp18. I'm so excited I took for a ride yesterday without the bar tape. :D

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:07 am

Recently picked these two up.

Apollo Himalaya - large size about 22" I think. Has the original Suntour Mountech FD and RD, and shifters. Dia Compe cantis. I think that I will turn this into a drop bar tourer.

Kuwahara made lugged Apollo. Too small for me, so if anyone is looking for a small lugged frame, give me a pm and i'll swap you something for it.

Smithy78

Postby Smithy78 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:33 am

Took this beast for its shakedown run today - early 90s Rossin Strada Professional, running 9 speed Record Titanium groupset and Mavic CXP 33 rims - not period correct, but picked up a donor bike with cracked headtube that made things convenient!

It is a pity that photos don't do the paintjob on this bike any justice. Depending on the light / angle, the base coat can be green, purple or blue which then has a clearcoat mixed with glitter put over the job. Sounds bad, but looks cool!

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Sat May 02, 2015 7:25 am

Nice, great groupset too. Little small for you though? Still love a quill stem myself too.

You'll have trouble riding on that sand with those skinny tyres too :D

Smithy78

Postby Smithy78 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:51 pm

utedeej wrote:Little small for you though?
It's only 2 fistfulls of seatpost!
My problem is long legs and short torso - this is a 59 with a 57 top tube, running a 100mm stem. Any bigger frame and I'd be having other problems!

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sat May 09, 2015 11:09 am

Here are some new photos of my Montello. The bike has now done about 2,000km and is beautiful to ride. I even took it in the Blayney to Bathurst 110km recently and it really stood out among all the black/carbon.

I have replaced the original stem with a shorter and lower one.

I know you're supposed to remove the biddons for bike photos but I bought the Coke ones for the right look on this bike. They are period correct for this frame as seen here in this picture of Big Mig:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat May 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Sweet ride Sharkey
Anything you can do, I can do slower

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat May 09, 2015 4:32 pm

+1

tassiebob

Postby tassiebob » Sun May 17, 2015 10:51 am

[img][url=http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/tassi ... q.jpg.html]
This beauty is a "Custom Built" tourer late '70's (later CBC - Custom Built Cycles as I understand it). I assume they assembled bikes from imported parts that they selected just as the name suggests. As mentioned in other posts which I now can't find, there was nothing hugely outstanding about them but what makes this one stand out is it's amazing condition. Not just that it has never seen much riding, but the owner had the foresight to spray everything with some sticky preservative muck (maybe Castrol "Rustillo" or similar) before hanging it up for a few decades.
Removing this coating and cleaning it up involved about the same amount of effort as cleaning up a rusty bike, but with greater rewards as you can appreciate. The bottom bracket was knackered from being over-tightened forever, but no other parts needed replacement, not even cables!
Brief specs; Shimano Eagle 11 gearset 10 spd, with "Finger Tip" head-stem shifters (which are very cool, they are sprung loaded against the derailleur springs to give a very light change), 27" chrome wheels with original "V Rubber" gumwall tyres, interesting Dia-Compe (Japan) cam-caliper brakes (these have a single screw brake adjustment, can post photos if interested) and levers, pleated sprung saddle, and Sanyo lighting set with roller dynamo fitted behind bottom bkt. (Original spare globe still fitted to headlight!)
Bought this for $50, sold a couple of months ago for $180, so I guess I made about $2.00/hr on the deal! But hey, it was fun and the new owner loved it on sight, he wanted something to ride on Sundays with his more elderly mates so he didn't keep riding away on his carbon racer.

PS The photo might not be loaded correctly, will post photos later

tassiebob

Postby tassiebob » Sun May 17, 2015 10:55 am

That's more like it!!

tassiebob

Postby tassiebob » Sun May 17, 2015 5:23 pm

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun May 17, 2015 6:13 pm

tassiebob wrote:Image
Close but not quite tassiebob - it needs to be

Code: Select all

[img] url of picture [/img]
Anything you can do, I can do slower

koen

Postby koen » Thu May 21, 2015 1:52 pm

I can't remember if I have ever posted this one. I was reminded to photograph it when a bike turned up on ebay in that thread looking like a 1987 tdf bike. The wheels on this bike were from that 1987 tdf and I tried to get mostly parts from around that era..
The KenEvans frame was given to me many years ago when people didn't want steel. It has since cracked/come loose at the bottom bracket/seat tube joint which is very shallow. I managed to silver solder it up but wouldn't like to ride it too hard in case it goes again.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Thu May 21, 2015 3:08 pm

Nice, Ken made some lovely bikes. I'm a bit of a fan of the period when he was doing those multicolour paintjobs with crosshatches.

seddo

Postby seddo » Fri May 22, 2015 12:00 pm

I have one from this era a Professional, Reynolds 531c, I going to have it repainted - is this the crosshatching you are talking about David?

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Fri May 22, 2015 2:38 pm

seddo wrote:I have one from this era a Professional, Reynolds 531c, I going to have it repainted - is this the crosshatching you are talking about David?
Yeah, that's it seddo. Loving the pink paint scheme also - bit of a fan of pink on bikes - as you can tell from my Bottecchia, which was a respray.

swin1

Postby swin1 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:56 pm

Here's a bike I brought back from the dead!

A 1975 Cecil Walker that sat rusting in a shed for who knows how long. Features Dura Ace first generation gears, cranks and Weinmann brakes. Also Cinelli 1A stem and Mod 65 handlebars with the original knight logo. The headset was badly rusted and the freewheel was completely stuck.

I got rid of the wheels which didn't look original (had a flip-flop hub on the rear), and built up some replacement wheels with period Weinmann rims and high flange Shimano hubs. Added a 14-28t Shimano freewheel. Replaced the heavily oxidised Weinmann brakes with a pretty much exact same set from a Schwinn Paramount I'm also restoring. Put in a new headset and longer cartridge bottom bracket to accomodate triple chainrings, which are brand new Willow 30-40-50. The old combination was a 45-54, not very practical. There was no saddle or seatpost so added a Brooks B17 copper saddle and Thomson Masterpiece seatpost.

About the frame: No indication of tubing type but gather it's 531; there is no seam down the seat tube or head tube, but probably straight gauge as the mainframe weighs 2.4kg exactly and the forks 0.88kg. I found out the lugs are very likely to be Haden Polaris/Firefly from the 50s/60s, and it has Zeus dropouts front and rear. I cleaned up the frame with white vinegar and scotch pad, as well as turps, then put a clearcoat on to protect the original paint left. It actually brought back some of the sparkle in the purple, but there are a lot of dark spots and some sun fade on the top tube.

Now just need some handlebar tape, I have some in black but makes the bike too dark so thinking about a natural colour like the Cinelli cork tape. If you have any suggestions let me know!

Cheers
Andrew

singlespeedscott

You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun May 24, 2015 5:56 pm

That's come up well.

Cloth handlebar tape would be a better choice than the Cinelli cork. Newbaums' make a nice purple tape that would be ideal - http://www.newbaums.com/?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it would also look nicer with a more period correct seatpost too.

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:14 pm

swin1 wrote:Here's a bike I brought back from the dead!

Andrew
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... VpcAaXs7Jf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And a lovely ressurection it is
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

swin1

Postby swin1 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks for the comments! Singlespeedscott - are you saying cloth because of the period? I've always thought it was quite hard on the hands. I've seen the Newbaums a local bike shop sells it. I was thinking a Campy or Zeus copy seatpost, I think the Sugino Mighty came out in the 80s. Any other well known seatposts from the 70s? I'll be looking for a 26.8mm then.

And Saro28: Yeah no matter how much you try to restore these things they always end up a bit of a frankenstein job!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun May 24, 2015 10:04 pm

I use cloth on most of my bikes and have not had issues in regard to comfort.

For the seatpost your best beat would be an early double clamp Super Record. The Super Record is probably the longest of the vintage posts. Looking at your saddle height your going to need the longest you can get. Even still you probably only have 15.5cm from the rail clamps to the minimum insertion mark on the Super Record.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon May 25, 2015 6:28 am

+1 on cloth tape, it's actually a lot more comfortable than you would expect. I prefer buying it from craft suppliers rather than the Newbaum's, a little bit cheaper and i find tape without adhesive easier to work with.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia