You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

ldrcycles

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Have you ever noticed any wobbling from the front end of your Samurai? I've got one hanging in the shed at the moment but both myself and my brother found it to be quite skittish at high speed.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:06 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Have you ever noticed any wobbling from the front end of your Samurai? I've got one hanging in the shed at the moment but both myself and my brother found it to be quite skittish at high speed.
wobbling - couldn't say that I have so far, but then again I think the fastest I've hit on this bike is mid 50s and did not experience anything peculiar at that speed. Will mention if it does wobble later on. Are you still using the original VP headset on it?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:52 pm

1975 (ish) Gitane Concorde 1522 single-speed:

1988 Gemini Club 105:

19-dunno yet Peugeot Tourmalet. Haven't touched it yet but looks to be in pretty good shape:

Peugeot Tourmalet with clown:

Early 80's Peugeot P9 (?) currently in bits waiting for me to sort out a Swiss BB

Ricardo Viva picked up at a local garage sale. I managed to completely ruin the rear mech and destroy half the spokes on the rear wheel because I didn't check the dérailleur settings before taking it for a spin:

Recently joined the team. Needs a bit of TLC:

All this malarkey started as a plan to get the oldest son (the one in the Hawaiian shirt) and his bro' onto their first adult-sized bike.

My word it's fun, but.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:58 am

I've already made another change...switched to Cinelli 64-42 (Giro D'Italia) bars once I had some time to make the Campag ergo's play nice with the shape. The anatomic Cinelli Touch were just too weird and too big. I just wish the camera would catch the right colour of this bike, it's not that blue!

Jim

hillchaser

Postby hillchaser » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi all,

I recently joined the retro crew and picked up this Paconi. It has campa drop outs and cranks (not sure what type) and a serial number under the BB that looks something like 810 40 . The back hub is cooked I think and the shifters aren't working but I'll gradually fix all that and have heaps of fun riding it as a single speed since I can't change. I love the bike and still trying to work out if I should go to a black seat or keep the Yellow Bassano. Would be keen to see what others think would work....but overall I'm really happy with my little piece of aussie history.

On a final note I live near Braeside in Victoria and I rode down the Paconi factory last week hoping to get Kevin to Id the frame and hopefully confirm it was a Paconi. However it is closed for a few months as he is not well. So would love to hear how one goes about identifying a frame like this.

Would love to post images but can't see how to attach them .. Please let me know how I can do this.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:39 pm

familyguy wrote:I've already made another change...switched to Cinelli 64-42 (Giro D'Italia) bars once I had some time to make the Campag ergo's play nice with the shape. The anatomic Cinelli Touch were just too weird and too big. I just wish the camera would catch the right colour of this bike, it's not that blue!

Jim
It looks much nicer with the traditional bend handlebars.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:34 pm

And it's amazing what a 10mm shorter stem and shorter reach bars did for the feel, too.

Jim

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:19 pm

Finally rebuilt my 1991 Tarini Prima, used to be Shimano 600 Tricolour, now Tiagra shifters, Truvativ Touro cranks with SunTour GPX rings and mixed vintage 105 derailleurs and brakes. Only Tange 2 tubing so weighs 11kgs with pedals and doesn't like to climb (not that a 42-25 granny helps!) but the fastest bike I've had on rolling or flat roads, sits in the 40s like it's nothing :) .

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:47 pm

Nice build mate. What size is that?

Nothing wrong with Tange 2. Good stuff. My GEFSCO is Tange 2 and the 24" frame is less then 2kg. The whole bike built up is just on 9kg with 10 speed Campagnolo and a heavy Brooks Pro saddle.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:08 pm

that's quite a lot of seatpost beneath the fluting! nice build, gotta love a bit of tricolore

if anyone has a 24mm seatpost lying around........
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:19 pm

55cm square, I was actually going to take a photo with the very long seatpost at max height just to give you conniptions but I got the height spot on and couldn't be bothered :lol: .

It's both very comfortable and responsive, and it's a hell of an improvement in weight over the Mercier but still quite sluggish climbing once the momentum runs out. Maybe Geoff knew how to get the best out of Tange :) . I haven't weighed the bare frame but i'd be very surprised if it was less than 2.1.

Minhyy, it is, and there's another foot or more still in the frame! What length 24mm seatpost do you need?

singlespeedscott

You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:07 pm

ldrcycles wrote:55cm square, I was actually going to take a photo with the very long seatpost at max height just to give you conniptions but I got the height spot on and couldn't be bothered :lol: .
:lol:

Actually your small frames have inspired me to do something similar with a Technotrats built bike I picked up the other day.

It's a 56 square frame built from Columbus Gara, a plain gauged chromoly. Nothing flash but it's got some nice tyre clearance and I think between that and the strong tubing it would be perfect for this years Noosa Strada Bianchi ride. It will be a bit of a drop to the bars but should be great for powering up the dirt climbs. :)

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:22 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:55cm square, I was actually going to take a photo with the very long seatpost at max height just to give you conniptions but I got the height spot on and couldn't be bothered :lol: .
:lol:

Actually your small frames have inspired me to do something similar with a Technotrats built bike I picked up the other day.

It's a 56 square frame built from Columbus Gara, a plain gauged chromoly. Nothing flash but it's got some nice tyre clearance and I think between that and the strong tubing it would be perfect for this years Noosa Strada Bianchi ride. It will be a bit of a drop to the bars but should be great for powering up the dirt climbs. :)
Looks like we should have a separate thread 'Tall people on small bikes'. I usually ride a 62 with a short top tube. This ones a 54 but fits well.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:35 pm

Well I have one with long seat post too! :mrgreen:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:58 pm

Amateurs...

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:04 pm

^oh, I want that Aero effect! Need to get a XS frame, :D

munga

Postby munga » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:12 pm

where's HLC's funnybike?

hillchaser

Postby hillchaser » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:58 pm

hillchaser wrote:Hi all,

I recently joined the retro crew and picked up this Paconi. It has campa drop outs and cranks (not sure what type) and a serial number under the BB that looks something like 810 40 . The back hub is cooked I think and the shifters aren't working but I'll gradually fix all that and have heaps of fun riding it as a single speed since I can't change. I love the bike and still trying to work out if I should go to a black seat or keep the Yellow Bassano. Would be keen to see what others think would work....but overall I'm really happy with my little piece of aussie history.

On a final note I live near Braeside in Victoria and I rode down the Paconi factory last week hoping to get Kevin to Id the frame and hopefully confirm it was a Paconi. However it is closed for a few months as he is not well. So would love to hear how one goes about identifying a frame like this.
Here are my photos

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:43 pm

hillchaser wrote:
hillchaser wrote:Hi all,

Here are my photos
[snip]
Nice bike hillchaser. You are close on linking to the pics - flicker makes it easy to post your pics, you just need to choose "grab the bb code"

gives you this
20140201_102939 by Threepwood1, on Flickr

hillchaser

Postby hillchaser » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Ok 3rd Try.
Here are my images and would love to get thoughts on the bike, paconis and what model are my cranks if anyone can identify.

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:52 pm

Very nice Paconi ^^^

I finally got my recently renovated Pinny on the road

Miyata_912

Postby Miyata_912 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:53 pm

that looks really nice.
N + 1
1986 Team Miyata
1988 Miyata 912
Prototype handmade Bamboo 3 speed
1996 Kona Kilauea

munga

Postby munga » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:08 pm

dee-lish!

adam_b83

Postby adam_b83 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:13 am

PANZR wrote:I finally got my recently renovated Pinny on the road
very nice panzr!

i recieved my newest project a few weeks ago. needs new decals and a cut and polish.

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:37 am

Wow, that's a flash frame
You have some incredible bikes Adam