You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

singlespeedscott

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:36 am

Agreed. I think a few bikes that you ride consistently is better then a cornucopia of ones that just sit there collecting dust.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:00 pm

GaryF wrote:My current excessive quantity of bikes just can't make-up for the enjoyment of I felt when I owned just one beautiful and well used bike.
That sounds horrible.

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:27 pm

My theory is that you need a different bike for each occasion, wet, dry, windy, racing, touring, on road, off road, bike tracks and most importantly showing off. That's why I currently have 27 bikes in the stable. The n+1 rules in my world, lol.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:34 pm

bog1953 wrote:My theory is that you need a different bike for each occasion, wet, dry, windy, racing, touring, on road, off road, bike tracks and most importantly showing off. That's why I currently have 27 bikes in the stable. The n+1 rules in my world, lol.
Spot on. What if you have a wet, windy, flat time trial? You can't use the same bike you would for a dry, still, rolling TT, that would be madness. :)

I've only got 12 at the moment but i think my max was somewhere around 70. Slowly building back up though.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Minority

Postby Minority » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:50 am

GaryF wrote:
munga wrote:orgy?
Hahahaha….

An orgy of Colnago's!!!!! What else could it be!!!!….hahaah.

Show-off's like me should be banned from the forum. Sorry guy's - I just can't help myself sometimes. Just joking.
If you've got it - flaunt it

And you've got it in spades (or should that be clubs :wink: )

Lovely bikes as always Gary

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:48 am

Minority wrote:
GaryF wrote:
Show-off's like me should be banned from the forum. Sorry guy's - I just can't help myself sometimes. Just joking.
If you've got it - flaunt it

And you've got it in spades (or should that be clubs :wink: )

Lovely bikes as always Gary
+1

It's the reason I visit this forum...to see nice, special bikes like yours

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:22 pm

Finally got gears on my Dawes again, the old plastic Simplex derailleur actually shifts really well (SunTour freewheel wouldn't hurt of course :) ).

Before-

After 1-

After 2-

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:54 pm

ldrcycles wrote:After 2-
Now that is very nice indeed........
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Typhoon Ken

Postby Typhoon Ken » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Take 3 is my favourite, a nice classic look

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Very nice LDR. Is that your ride for the Strada Bianchi? Most simplex derailleurs actually shift nicely. It's just the lack of durability associated with the plastic derailleurs is the problem. Apparently the SLJ derailleurs are the ducks nuts of classic derailleurs.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Anyone else notice how the background improved as the bike did ? #3 is great but the way ldr is trending #4 will be brilliant :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:47 pm

find_bruce wrote:Anyone else notice how the background improved as the bike did ? #3 is great but the way ldr is trending #4 will be brilliant :D
I am a bit concerned at the ground level does not smoothly flow to the garage floor level.
Is this to keep cars out?
And maximise the N+1 bikes?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:36 am

find_bruce wrote:Anyone else notice how the background improved as the bike did ? #3 is great but the way ldr is trending #4 will be brilliant :D
:lol: hey i really liked it as #2, sure i was almost the only one who did but still :) . The first pic was at my parent's farm, the other 2 are just different spots at my workplace.

Scott, my brother Warwick (who was on the blue Viscount Sebring last year) will be using this for the Strade, i'm on my Tom Wallace. I'm going to start marking out and cutting the sheet metal for the clanger front derailleur today :D .

The rear derailleur has actually cracked near both limit screws, but they still hold their place and there are no other signs of trouble yet. These shift levers are also MUCH stiffer than the ones that have a bit of sheet metal wrapped around the sides, i can't feel any flex in these.

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:16 pm

OK, this is N + 3.

I'm building (another) road bike to ship to my friend in New Zealand so when I visit I am able to ride....... 7 visits to New Zealand in the past 6 years and every time I'm cursing not having a bike to ride on all those quiet, scenic and mostly sealed backroads in rural NZ.

So instead of hoping to find an ideal bicycle for sale within NZ I will build (yet) another bike, ship it once and leave it there. I intend upon 3 - 4 visits annually for a week at a time, so this is a terrible luxury but hey, it's money.........

So I begin with a 2nd hand early 90's Casati Monza frameset - chrome plated and in very good condition. It's a size 54 TT and 54ST.

You beauty!

TedDancin

Postby TedDancin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:38 pm

I've been riding this classy gent for about 4 months now, just did a strip down and rebuild today, and put it back together the same way, which i guess means it's almost finished.

I wanted an Australian frame, with European inspired Japanese parts, and as much leather as is reasonable. This was the result.

It holds the road very well, perfect geometry for me I think. Slightly heavier than it could be, but I'm trying to make it an all-day bike, so will carry a bit of extra weight anyway.

Frame - Late 1970s Jim Bundy built Lennie Rogers 61cm frame in Reynolds 531, updated by Peter Bundy with bosses and cable guides. Repainted badly with spray enamel by me. Nice long cutout lugs which I managed to not capture in the photos.

Drivetrain - SR Royal cranks with Sugino drilled rings, MKS Sylvan pedals

Wheels - Shimano 600 hubs and freewheel, Ukai 27 1 1/8 alloy rims, Panaracer Pasela PT tyres

Gears - Suntour Superbe RD and FD, Suntour Power Ratchet shifters

Brakes - Royal Compe non aero levers with Shimano QR centrepulls

Bars - Nitto technomic 100mm stem, Nitto Noodle bars, fake leather tape

Seating - Brooks Swift saddle (still not quite sold on this), SR Royal 27.2 seatpost

Also have been inspired to sell my parts collection if anyone needs some retro junk - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=77416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by TedDancin on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Typhoon Ken

Postby Typhoon Ken » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:07 pm

Very clean looking Ted

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:11 pm

open roader wrote:So I begin with a 2nd hand early 90's Casati Monza frameset - chrome plated and in very good condition. It's a size 54 TT and 54ST.
Real nice start, what are your plans from here ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:28 pm

find_bruce wrote:
open roader wrote:So I begin with a 2nd hand early 90's Casati Monza frameset - chrome plated and in very good condition. It's a size 54 TT and 54ST.
Slow build as I'm waiting on some parts.

As per my Master X Light build I'll fit an Athena 11 sp. alloy gruppo with 2nd hand brakes and 2nd hand shifters built with Ultra shift internals. I opted for the Power Torque cranks on this build - easy to find at half the price of Ultra torque cranks.
I'll hand polish an alloy seat post and hand polish an alloy quill stem and fit a new Record threaded headset.

Black handlbars, black tape, black cables and black saddle.

I ride tubulars on N, N+1 and N+2 at home but if I cop a flat on a week's holiday I don't want to be losing valuable holiday time re-gluing a tubular onto my wheel so I purchased a set of clincher wheels from a fellow BNA member. Polished Record 32h hubs with DT Competition spokes laced to silver Mavic Open Pro rims. I'll run Vittoria SC gumwall clinchers 23mm on the front and 25mm on the back.

I expect to take until the end of August before I can test ride it...... :D The weather should be more agreeable more often then.......

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:32 pm

open roader wrote:

As per my Master X Light build I'll fit an Athena 11 sp. alloy gruppo with 2nd hand brakes and 2nd hand shifters built with Ultra shift internals. I opted for the Power Torque cranks on this build - easy to find at half the price of Ultra torque cranks.
I'll hand polish an alloy seat post and hand polish an alloy quill stem and fit a new Record threaded headset.

I ride tubulars on N, N+1 and N+2 at home but if I cop a flat on a week's holiday I don't want to be losing valuable holiday time re-gluing a tubular onto my wheel so I purchased a set of clincher wheels from a fellow BNA member. Polished Record 32h hubs with DT Competition spokes laced to silver Mavic Open Pro rims. I'll run Vittoria SC gumwall clinchers 23mm on the front and 25mm on the back.

I expect to take until the end of August before I can test ride it...... :D The weather should be more agreeable more often then.......
Good luck with build, it looks like a nice frame.

Ben's Cycles might still have some NOS 3ttt Casati engraved stems, there's one on my Casati a few pages back

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:36 pm

open roader wrote:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:39 pm

open roader wrote:
find_bruce wrote:

Sounds good but I would hunt down the Ultra Torque cranks over the nasty Power Torque ones.

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:53 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Sounds good but I would hunt down the Ultra Torque cranks over the nasty Power Torque ones.
This is a cheap and nasty build........... :wink:

Power torque only nasty if they need removing........ :cry:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:24 pm

open roader wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:Sounds good but I would hunt down the Ultra Torque cranks over the nasty Power Torque ones.
This is a cheap and nasty build........... :wink:

Power torque only nasty if they need removing........ :cry:
Agreed. They remind me to much of Shimano's but without the ease of removal.

Vorno

Postby Vorno » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:42 pm

I ride a Graecross Regal 12 Speed in 56cm which I purchased new from Canberra Bicycle Centre in Dickon, ACT in March 1984.
Larger Image http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/ ... 098a9e.jpg
Everything is as original except the usual tyres, cables and handle bar tape which have been replaced. I also recovered the saddle.
It rides very smooth and the gear changes are sweet.
The Graecross transfer on the seat tube says “Graecross Selection for Your Choice Deluxe”
Larger Image http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/ ... 0a7519.jpg
It weighs 10kg and says it is a Double Butted Steel Frame (Cr Mo) and was manufactured in Bayswater Victoria. I assume the frame tubing etc came from Tange Industries as in 1984 they introduced high-performance Prestige chrome-moly double-butted racing tubes consistent with the transfer and also that the Heat Set was from Tange. (http://www.tange-design.com/history.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Rims: Ukai Alloy 27" x 1"
Hubs: Suzue Juno
Front and rear Derailleurs: Suntour ARX
Crank: Sugino GT 170mm 52/40
Freewheel: Suntour 13-28
Down tube resistance shifters: Suntour Symmetric
Brakes: Dia Compe Aero A C300G
Quill Headsteam: Shimano 600 AX
Handlebars: Kusuki Medallion
Headset: Tange Levin
Saddle: Compy
Seatpost: Sugino SP-H
Pedals: Look Delta installed about 1985
Larger Image http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/ ... a22245.jpg
Larger Image http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/ ... 359bd5.jpg
Larger Image http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/ ... b49a14.jpg
Larger Image http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/ ... 6c0293.jpg
Larger Image http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/ ... 383e19.jpg
Larger Image http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/ ... e713d9.jpg

Larger Image http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/ ... c82370.jpg
Last edited by Vorno on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:25 pm

now I can finally upload photos(my fault) I thought Id better catch up on the last few m onths in the shed.
firstly a repco. came from the tip as a 48cm frame 27" repco leisure series. left 2 weeks later as a tiny begginers road bike for a VERY fit and enthusiastic 10 yr old lad.
runs a 7 speed cassette on the rear with an indexed stem shifter.
of course its heavy, but we drop a rather light alexrim rear on race day and a mavic ksyrium on the front
next is a chop up that almost started to do my head in towards the end
front is a cut down 58cm centurion DLX ,the rear is a 55cm repcosuperlite cut down to 46cm.
if you are ever going to build a tandem I recommend you really read up sheldon brown first, not after its painted. the front to rear ratio(length of framesections) is 1:1.2.
PM if you need an explanation of that one.
here it has 14 gears , but we have a 8/9/10 speed rear wheel especially made waiting for a donor bike with brifters. its currently indexed downtube suntour superbe running to an exage rear derailleur. cranks are a huge mix, but i managed to get 2 165 rear arms for the smaller stoker, 170's up front
we cut .swapped and welded the crank arms so that the threading is correct for cleating in. we plan to race the bike in a couple of weeks, 27kms with 6 kms gravel at the end. heres how it all began
after 2 fun ,challenging months it turned into this