You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

bighux

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby bighux » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:21 pm

barefoot wrote:Good old Govies. A Ballarat icon.

Are you in Ballarat, or has this one travelled?

One of my colleagues rides a Gove to work occasionally; similar to yours, but all original and in "renovator's delight" condition. It was his Dad's, and I believe, his Grandfather's before that. Current owner is in his 50s. I reckon his Grandfather may have been the last one to do any kind of maintenance on it :-D

I picked up a Repco Superlite from the Ballarat tip shop last weekend. Stashed in the shed... will get around to doing something with it one day...
Not in Ballarat, so it has travelled but still in Victoria. Do you know when Gove began making bikes? wouldn't mind knowing around what decade this was made. Was thinking 50-60s?

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:43 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:That is one great ride
ldrcycles wrote:That's one hell of a way to start the new year! :)
Thanks fella's. It sits second best behind my Olympia but do enjoy it.

steeldoken

Postby steeldoken » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:57 pm

Purchased late last year, Rod Martin 653 Reynolds. Bought it off a fellow who used to race with this, it's custom made but we seem to have the same stature as it fits me perfectly. Haven't touched any of the components although am thinking about changing the stem & maybe the bars (currently kusuki / modolo respectively). Surprisingly comfy position on the Nitto 66 seat post & the bullseye hubs just want to keep rolling.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:45 pm

^ had a suspicion it was you that bought it

I think the seatpost is flipped atm to get the riding position more forward, might want to sort that out
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

steeldoken

Postby steeldoken » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:52 pm

I'm fairly certain it's on the right way, from memory it's a TT seatpost so, supposed to give the rider that more forward position, happy to stand corrected

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:30 am

Top paint job:)

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:57 pm

Oh yes, that paint is outrageous and I love it
The seat post looks correct (TT) but, I think the bike would look better in a standard road configuration
Love the DA 740x groupset...one of the greats

All in all, a superb bike

weldin_mike_27

Postby weldin_mike_27 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:20 pm

ImageImage My Protour with shiny flat bar conversion.

PatNZ

Postby PatNZ » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:30 pm

My latest gumtree find. An Avanti Edge.

Its not top of the line or any thing but its in really good condition and a nice bike to ride.

8 Speed Sora Groupset. I finally have a Brifter bike even if it is one with the Thumb shifters.

Chromo steel bike.
No chain stretch. Mechanically every thing was nice when purchased. I just had to replace the perished tires with some New wired Rubinos as shown in pics.

Maybe I need to replace the front brake pads as the make a nasty sound while braking. I haven't played with them yet.

splash_dad

Postby splash_dad » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:57 pm

PommieYeti wrote:here is my most recent buys.... including the other Raleigh Ti i was going to restore until i got this new one

the first is a Raleigh Europa (apparently brand new never been ridden and stored in the back of a shop for 30 years) sellers photos as its still in the box awaiting us buying a house so i can hang it on the wall it even has the plastic protective on the mudguards
I was watching this bicycle on ebay, great find and worthy of mounting on the wall. I was so tempted to bid but just couldn't work out what to do with it.

Here is mine, after 20+ years of daily commuting. Now it is used a couple times a week for commuting and a Sunday ride.

dfunkt

Postby dfunkt » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:19 pm

G'day All,

i've been meaning to sign up for a while, and the latest purchase has finally pushed me to do it.
i was alright with one unkown bike, but now i've got two, i might as well get some outside help.

the latest purchase came from sydney, has match serials on the BB and fork steerer, where the paint colour scheme is also written in permanent marker.
instantly it was thought to be a Hillman, but they've confirmed it isn't one of theirs (the serial in their books corresponds to a junior road bike).
another thought was that it was built for a shop, as there are no other decals aside from the 708 fork stickers. it has suntour dropouts and fork ends. was built with suntour superbe bits (hubs, cranks, BB), shimano 600 HS, and had generic rubbish for the rest. it had alot of dust build up on the hubs, hadn't been ridden in +25 years according to previous owner.
pics located at bottom of post.

were there any other builders that used the same build number scheme to Hillman, very probably sydney/nsw based.

thanks all for reading,

shoddy ebay auction pics:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:15 pm

dfunkt wrote:

I think it's been ridden far more recently given the naff looking threadless stem, ridiculous oversized seat post and the uncomfortable looking drop bars.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:20 pm

I was watching that ad on eBay. Very good price you picked it up for. If it were my size, I wouldve bidded.

Whats the serial look like, and the texta marks too?

LG

Postby LG » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:52 pm

I bought this Gipiemme framed bike recently via gumtree, I didn't think they built frames, just frame parts, wheels etc. The only info on Gipiemme stickered frames is in this thread viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11026&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so it appear to be a rebel sport bike. Wherever it originated, it's pretty well built of lightweight Columbus Nemo tubing and dated from 1997, much newer than all my other bikes. Frame is 57cm and weighs in at 1850g + crmo fork.

Anyway, it's been rust treated and cleaned up. As I've never owned a new groupset before I lashed out around Christmas and purchased a 5800 set including hubs. The bike has so far travelled about 20km, but I can honestly say I'm very impressed by how the groupset works and how the bike handles. Since the photo the stem has been dropped about 15mm.
Last edited by LG on Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LG = Low Gear

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:11 pm

Nice!

If that's your first modern groupset does that mean you've skipped 10 speed and gone straight to 11 speed?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Very nice. What did you do with the old 6400 8 speed Ultegra groupset?

LG

Postby LG » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:53 pm

hitchhiker wrote:Nice!

If that's your first modern groupset does that mean you've skipped 10 speed and gone straight to 11 speed?
Yes, I have an 8 speed shimano 600 set on my merckx, but that's as modern as it has been for me, all my other bikes, if they have gears, are either down tube or bar end friction shifting, including my touring bike. Will get another better photo or two tomorrow.

The old 600 set is sitting in a box at the moment, my daughter has expressed an interest in having brifters on her bike, so they may be re-purposed. Her bike currently has the single bar end shifter you supplied a few months ago.
Last edited by LG on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LG = Low Gear

LG

Postby LG » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:26 pm

A few more detailed photos, the teardrop shaped downtube (I think that's what it's called). Fair bit of chrome missing around the top of the bottom bracket, so it's temporarily covered with wax. The top tube is also oversized 28.6mm dia. The front bolt on derailleur lug obviously wasn't designed around a 50 tooth cog, the FD is mounted as low as it will fit and is only just low enough.
I had to put some spacers behind the brake calliper, otherwise it would foul the headset. These callipers look a lot chunkier than older callipers, but seem to work very nicely.
As I was getting 3 more gears than I've ever used before, I decided to make them worthwhile and ordered a medium cage RD and a 32 tooth cassette, combined with compact cranks I should be able to get up most inclines. The roads around here are either steep up or steep down with very little in between.
Most of the frame is welded, but the dropouts, fork crown and seat binder are all lugged. I don't like system built wheels where spares can be expensive and hard to find, so built what should be quite strong wheels with 32 spoke front & rear, laced to an old Mavic G40 front and a Wolber TX profile rear rims with butted spokes (I buggered up a little, was planning to build both wheels with pair of Mavic rims, but my second rim is a 36 spoke so had to go the mismatch).
LG = Low Gear

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:27 pm

Gipiemme looks great mate! Any trouble squeezing the back wheel between the stays?

QuangVuong

You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:44 am

This is probably an early 2000s Hillbrick built with Columbus Altec 2 tubing. It's running a 8s Mirage group which is like 15 years older than the frame with a Shimano cassette(eight 7s cogs), and wheels which are about a decade newer.

And right after I took this pic, the FD snapped in half. Looks like the oxidisation of the aluminium created a weak point. Anyone happen to have a 8s Mirage or similar Campag FD around.

koen

Postby koen » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:37 pm

Well I am really pleased with the finish I ended up with on this old Hi Ten Aero bike from the early eighties. I had two bikes with Adamas gear, the first one was rideable but always too big for me. When I got the Premier I decided to make it into a regular riding bike eventually.
I just sold the Madison to a nice guy from he Gold Coast and finished putting a some more paint and a few nicer bits on the Premier. It would just allow me to use 700c wheels instead of 27" so I laced the adamas hubs into some cheap fixie rims and I had some "cheap?" on special blue velomax tyres so it rides very sweetly.

Finally, I wanted an aero downtube shifter position as the original adamas clamp on was a normal sort. When I saw the aero suntour one on ebay I did not realise it was 6 speed indexed so I reluctantly used the suntour ,breaking up the full adamas group for the convenience of click shifting. It is a heavy heavy bike but after a few minutes I seriously don't notice. I guess it wouldn't be my choice for Mont Ventoux though.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:24 pm

QuangVuong wrote:This is probably an early 2000s Hillbrick built with Columbus Altec 2 tubing. It's running a 8s Mirage group which is like 15 years older than the frame with a Shimano cassette(eight 7s cogs), and wheels which are about a decade newer.
Hey Quang. What in heck is going on with that seatpost?

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:26 pm

What's wrong? There's like 3cm of post sticking out the 65cm c-t seat tube.

miaj10

Postby miaj10 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:44 pm

first post here in forum
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/130585341 ... 883881304/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/130585341 ... 318987240/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

project for wifey

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/130585341 ... 318979460/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/130585341 ... 504699441/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LG

Postby LG » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:58 pm

Bob_TAS wrote:Gipiemme looks great mate! Any trouble squeezing the back wheel between the stays?
Rear is 130mm spacing, so 11 speed just slides in.
miaj10 wrote:first post here in forum
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/130585341 ... 883881304/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/130585341 ... 318987240/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

project for wifey

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/130585341 ... 318979460/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/130585341 ... 504699441/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well I think your wife has the best deal out of that lot, nice looking frame, post more pics once built up.
LG = Low Gear