You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

gchan3

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby gchan3 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:11 pm

Which wheelsets work (appearance) better? Deep section wheels or box section wheels?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:15 pm

^ I reckon the Atlantas look pretty damn good on this.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:27 pm

I'm glad you got to keep it. Sellers regret is a horrible thing.

Atlanta's look good on everything, unless you want to offload them, then they are rubbish and I'm happy to buy for a just in case bike.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:28 pm

P!N20 wrote:^ I reckon the Atlantas look pretty damn good on this.
+1
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Madrider

Postby Madrider » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:01 pm

Not so new to the collection

Raleigh Team Ti - Reynolds 753 built in the Raleigh SBDU workshop circa 1984

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:05 pm

Madrider wrote:Not so new to the collection

Raleigh Team Ti - Reynolds 753 built in the Raleigh SBDU workshop circa 1984

Oooh baby...now that flicks my switch as a Raleigh tragic. More pics pls..

drex

Postby drex » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:28 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
drex wrote:So I picked up a real mixed bag this weekend from an ad on Gumtree. The lovely old bloke who was selling it said he'd had it for ages, but that he couldn't really ride any more, so it had to go. It has no brand name or markings on the frame, other than to say that it is made from Tange Infinity tubing, so I'm guessing it was a custom built job? Has a Sugino Cycloid crankset, which did my head in when I first looked at the 52/42 oval chainrings (I thought they were damaged until I did some research), friction shifters, BR-L490 Shimano brakes, a Shimano Acera rear derailleur (looks like it is a relatively recent addition), and the brakes have been set up like a European bike with the left lever operating the front brakes. I reckon from the brakes and crankset that it is circa 1988, but that's just a guess. Anyone ever seen something similar? Has been well looked after - undid the quill stem to see if I could drop the bars down, fully expecting them to be seized, and they moved smoothly without even needing a nudge. Think I'll be doing minimal changes to this one and taking it out for a ride once I've given it a quick tizzy up, trued the wheels and put some air in the tyres!

Ironically I pulled a late 80s Sugino crankset off a bike today. How coincidental.
I'm wondering if this is a Nishiki of some sort, or something similar. Don't s'pose this has a SunTour front derailleur? Think your estimation of date is fairly accurate, the Cycloid stuff came out 86/87 (was a more aggressive version of Shimano's BioPace...and not very popular). I've never ridden one, although I do like my BioPace.

Whatever it is, nice bike.
Thanks! Nope, Shimano front and rear, but I suspect they are later additions anyway. I do need to try and find a third chainring though - from what I can tell, the crankset was originally a triple, but it has been set up as a double, and the 52/42 is destroying my knees to try and even get up a gentle incline. Just need to find a 32 or thereabouts and drop the 52 altogether...

drex

Postby drex » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:58 pm

Picked up another Gumtree special today for the princely sum of $20. Claims to be an original (other than a new set of tyres 20 years ago), unmolested, one-owner, Repco steel framer, bought from a small bike store in Gawler, SA in 1975. No markings on the frame anywhere, but it looks legit. Has been sitting in a shed for many years, but everything works - just needs a good clean, some tidying up of the surface rust as best as I can, and a complete service and tune. Have I just been lucky picking this up so cheap, or is there something inherently bad/worthless here that I'm not seeing?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Not worthless by any means, but also not a high-end bike as evidenced by the suicide levers and stem shifters. Nice SunTour GT rear derailleur on there (I think, hard to see on that angle) but this bike should clean up well and ride very nicely. Could probably make it ride like brand-new for the price of some grease/oil, cables and brake pads (maybe bar tape) and some elbow grease if the bearings aren't shot.

drex

Postby drex » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:35 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:Not worthless by any means, but also not a high-end bike as evidenced by the suicide levers and stem shifters. Nice SunTour GT rear derailleur on there (I think, hard to see on that angle) but this bike should clean up well and ride very nicely. Could probably make it ride like brand-new for the price of some grease/oil, cables and brake pads (maybe bar tape) and some elbow grease if the bearings aren't shot.
Thanks, and yes that is a SunTour GT on the back. Bearings sound ok, but will give it a tidy up and see how it rolls. Are there any options out there to buy Repco frame decals if I wanted to respray the frame? Had a look on eBay and not finding much. Also not sure if a full strip and respray would even be worth it, but still tempting...

drex

Postby drex » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:42 am

drex wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:
Are there any options out there to buy Repco frame decals if I wanted to respray the frame? Had a look on eBay and not finding much. Also not sure if a full strip and respray would even be worth it, but still tempting...
Scratch that question, Google found me a few sites. Slim pickings though...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:45 am

drex wrote: Are there any options out there to buy Repco frame decals if I wanted to respray the frame? Had a look on eBay and not finding much. Also not sure if a full strip and respray would even be worth it, but still tempting...
Cyclomondo can help you with some variants of Repco decals, and are top quality stuff (my first option if I'm doing decals).

Link : http://cyclomondo.net/page2.htm

Also, please keep the colour as is.

Is so 1970s, that just looking at it made my hair start growing...

drex

Postby drex » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:58 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
drex wrote: Are there any options out there to buy Repco frame decals if I wanted to respray the frame? Had a look on eBay and not finding much. Also not sure if a full strip and respray would even be worth it, but still tempting...
Cyclomondo can help you with some variants of Repco decals, and are top quality stuff (my first option if I'm doing decals).

Link : http://cyclomondo.net/page2.htm

Also, please keep the colour as is.

Is so 1970s, that just looking at it made my hair start growing...
Definitely want to keep the baby-poo-yellow-brown colour, and love the chrome fork tips, and this is where I'm struggling - leave it as it with plenty of 'character' in its scratched decals and rust spots, or go the whole hog...

keith_h

Postby keith_h » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Mid 80's Rossin Record SL. Built to be ridden a lot.

http://gallery.heinrich.id.au/rossin
Last edited by keith_h on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:18 pm

keith_h wrote:Image

Built to be ridden a lot.

http://gallery.heinrich.id.au/rossin
is nice. i like.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:05 am

Very nice, Keith. I'm amazed you sold the bike all those years ago and managed to purchase it again. Did you know the owner or did it just pop up for sale?

Nice touch with the black stem.

You mentioned chrome underneath the original paint. Did you have to remove that or is the chrome still there? Did you consider re-doing the chrome chainstay?

stomach_bug

Postby stomach_bug » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:52 am

Hey guys,

Picked this badboy up the other day - 1989 or 1990 Malvern Star Triathelete. Biopace crankset, shimano exage fittings, hsinlung bar.

A lot of work to be done, my first project. It's probably sacrilege but keen on getting this frame in to the modern age. Plans on a 11 speed campy centaur (silver of course), , h plus son archetype rims and a velo orange 11 speed touring hub. There may be a white sandblast/powdercoat in there as well, providing I can salvage/copy the decals - not keen on this thing losing it's charm. It'll be pared with my existing black brookes saddle.

Plans for it to be a daily rider with emphasis on longevity - a slow saving/upgrade project to create a bike that'll hopefully outlast me.

Open to tips!!

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:47 am

stomach_bug wrote:Open to tips!!
Throw the Biopace stuff in the garbage. <ducks>

I'd be inclined to leave the paint unless it's really bad - "it's only original once" and all that.

Solid bike, will be a good project.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:48 pm

stomach_bug wrote:Hey guys,

Picked this badboy up the other day - 1989 or 1990 Malvern Star Triathelete. Biopace crankset, shimano exage fittings, hsinlung bar.

A lot of work to be done, my first project. It's probably sacrilege but keen on getting this frame in to the modern age. Plans on a 11 speed campy centaur (silver of course), , h plus son archetype rims and a velo orange 11 speed touring hub. There may be a white sandblast/powdercoat in there as well, providing I can salvage/copy the decals - not keen on this thing losing it's charm. It'll be pared with my existing black brookes saddle.

Plans for it to be a daily rider with emphasis on longevity - a slow saving/upgrade project to create a bike that'll hopefully outlast me.

Open to tips!!

I have one of these, and I think you'll be surprised at how nicely it rides when you've finished with it.

Mine has been built up for reliability and is only a semi-restomod. Wanted to do it on the semi-cheap as the Raleigh is my priority, so small upgrade to Shimano 8sp cassette, kept the BioPace and the 500ex as they're in excellent condition and work well.
Got some 8sp downtube shifters sent in from a seller in Japan, found some NOS Shimano 105 (5700) brake calipers and fitted up some locally made aero wheels with 28mm Vittoria Zaffiro.
New bearings into BB and headset, 3T bar tape and all new cables and fitted a Selle Italia X1. Surprisingly this one had a 1980s Selle Italia saddle which was like-new, and I'm still considering throwing that back on.

The Alesa wheels yours currently has fitted have a 7sp freehub, well at least mine did, so new wheels will be needed to get to 8/9/10 or 11sp. I think something cost-effective and tough like a set of Mavic Aksiums would pair well with this frame. If you wanted to, the BioPace rings can handle up to 9sp quite well, but replacing the calipers with something more modern would be a good move. I absolutely love riding this thing, the short wheelbase is nice and agile and its both stiff yet compliant.

stomach_bug

Postby stomach_bug » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:44 pm

P!N20 wrote:
stomach_bug wrote:Open to tips!!
Throw the Biopace stuff in the garbage. <ducks>

I'd be inclined to leave the paint unless it's really bad - "it's only original once" and all that.

Solid bike, will be a good project.
Haha, be careful now! That said I have read it'll hurt my knees over time - given I've had dodgy knees in the past I'll be hoping to upgrade soon.

The paint has definitely decayed around the dropouts and in a few spot - while there's undoubtedly surface rust I'm quietly terrified of the possibility that she might have some more hidden away somewhere. I'll do my best to honour the look with a white powdercoat and perhaps some fitting decals, but rest assured she'll still wear her star on her nose - there'll be no mistaking what she is. All that said it's unlikely to happen any time soon as the mechanical stuff will come first.
10speedsemiracer wrote:
stomach_bug wrote:Hey guys,

Picked this badboy up the other day - 1989 or 1990 Malvern Star Triathelete. Biopace crankset, shimano exage fittings, hsinlung bar......

I have one of these, and I think you'll be surprised at how nicely it rides when you've finished with it.

Mine has been built up for reliability and is only a semi-restomod. Wanted to do it on the semi-cheap as the Raleigh is my priority, so small upgrade to Shimano 8sp cassette, kept the BioPace and the 500ex as they're in excellent condition and work well.
Got some 8sp downtube shifters sent in from a seller in Japan, found some NOS Shimano 105 (5700) brake calipers and fitted up some locally made aero wheels with 28mm Vittoria Zaffiro.
New bearings into BB and headset, 3T bar tape and all new cables and fitted a Selle Italia X1. Surprisingly this one had a 1980s Selle Italia saddle which was like-new, and I'm still considering throwing that back on.

The Alesa wheels yours currently has fitted have a 7sp freehub, well at least mine did, so new wheels will be needed to get to 8/9/10 or 11sp. I think something cost-effective and tough like a set of Mavic Aksiums would pair well with this frame. If you wanted to, the BioPace rings can handle up to 9sp quite well, but replacing the calipers with something more modern would be a good move. I absolutely love riding this thing, the short wheelbase is nice and agile and its both stiff yet compliant.
That looks great, she really is a beaut. She's nimble all right - needed a bit of getting used to. I'm still flirting with going full overhaul but I feel like your path is a lot more reasonable.

Cleaned out and re-lubed the bottom bracket, headset and front hub today - they were in very poor condition and are still fairly pitted. Feels better for now, I'm going to slowly replace but just hoping to get the freewheel off soon to get to the rear hub- do you by any chance remember which tool the original 7speed freewheel took? I'm assuming a standard shimano one but I'll need to head to the LBS tomorrow to pick one up. Also one more question - do you happen to know if the headset crown is JIS or ISO? Abbotsford cycles seemed to think I may need a JIS for it and I've ordered it, though I'm not quite sure. I forgot to measure it when I had it apart.

My ultimate aim is to have this bike fitted out with quality parts that rely on little maintenance - cleaning out the hubs today it's really emphasised the fact I want quality sealed cartridges and more rust-resistant fittings.
I also want to learn how to take my bike apart and put it back together again, so I'm investing in some nice tools to help with any maintenance I might need to do down the line.

I'm happy to be told to go use the search button but again I'm happy to take on advice anyone might have (or better yet, things they had wished they'd done or tools they'd bought in hindsight!!)

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:56 pm

I think I was lucky, in that the bike I bought was from a deceased estate, and had been ridden in 2-3 triathlons and a bit of training before going into storage. I had minimal rust, two paint chips and the bearing races were all in good condition. I replaced the balls with stuff I had. The headset didn't need replacing, no pitting at all and someone had given this thing a really good service before it was put into dry storage. The grease was thick (a bit too thick) but I think this served to protect stuff. Fairly sure is a JIS headset, and the cassette was a std Shimano lockring tool.

Mine though had been in storage for 25+ years, and was only discovered by the family after the owner passed away.

It also had some late 1980s Look pedals on it, which were much harder to get off.

I actually like BioPace btw, find it's easier on my garbage knees, but I've had lots of knee issues.

stomach_bug

Postby stomach_bug » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:33 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:I think I was lucky, in that the bike I bought was from a deceased estate, and had been ridden in 2-3 triathlons and a bit of training before going into storage. I had minimal rust, two paint chips and the bearing races were all in good condition. I replaced the balls with stuff I had. The headset didn't need replacing, no pitting at all and someone had given this thing a really good service before it was put into dry storage. The grease was thick (a bit too thick) but I think this served to protect stuff. Fairly sure is a JIS headset, and the cassette was a std Shimano lockring tool.

Mine though had been in storage for 25+ years, and was only discovered by the family after the owner passed away.

It also had some late 1980s Look pedals on it, which were much harder to get off.

I actually like BioPace btw, find it's easier on my garbage knees, but I've had lots of knee issues.

Wow - What a find! Sounds like your fared a lot better than mine, the BB 'seals' look to have peeled a bit and looks like the grit grinding has taken it's toll. The headset is a bit of a mess with rust and gunk but after a bit of a tidy it's functional again. My new one, a tange JIS with a cartridge bearing, arrives tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it. I too ditched the pedals - the plastic toe clips (removed before I took my photo) were hanging by a thread and I nearly snapped my arms off trying to set the pedals free of the crank. It's rocking some MKS Sylvan Road Pedals now, may go back down the toeclip road at some point.

Anyway, Thanks so much for the insight. I've been scouring the web trying to get any information I can! I may need to drop you a private message if I get stuck at some point down the line but I'll be sure to pop back with my final resto result later down the line.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:06 pm

This is the page relevant to the bike from 1990 :

based on the displayed colour scheme, I believe yours (and mine) are both 1989 models.

stomach_bug

Postby stomach_bug » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:22 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:This is the page relevant to the bike from 1990 :

based on the displayed colour scheme, I believe yours (and mine) are both 1989 models.
I suspect so as well - I believe mine has a 300EX rear derailleur though - perhaps they provided options on the groupset, otherwise someone's replaced the part. The front derailleur has definitely been replaced, it's way too shiny and the cable is too. Undoubtedly the same vintage though.

I was originally hunting an equipe but saw the triathlete up on gumtree for $90. Figured I'd want to update the groupset anyway so opted for the tri - the frames sound more or less the same anyway, though those decals on the equipe are awesome!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:33 pm

yeah, mine has the original 500ex so think someone has retro-fitted the 300 stuff to yours. Mine was to replace an early 90s Shogun Samurai which had gotten wrecked, and I remember the Equipe from that era but had never ridden one, and never really know much about the Tri. Would agree with your assessment that they are indeed the same frame, just 500ex on the Tri vs 105 on the Equipe.
Mine came up very cheap ($60) but I had to go to the other side of Geelong to collect it.