You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Ferrovelo

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby Ferrovelo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:15 am

That looks fantastic. Love it.

sirrombi

Postby sirrombi » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:31 pm

This is my Repco Nishiki Tri A, bought from Peter Barty of Barty's Bikes, Mackay in 1987. $1000, top of the range, at that time.

Still in original condition, complete with a few rust spots from honest sweat, and Profile Aero Bars bought from Mikes Bikes, Miami also in 1987.

Shimano 600 Gear, Araya Rims, Turbo Seat.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:54 pm

sirrombi wrote:This is my Repco Nishiki Tri A, bought from Peter Barty of Barty's Bikes, Mackay in 1987. $1000, top of the range, at that time.

Still in original condition, complete with a few rust spots from honest sweat, and Profile Aero Bars bought from Mikes Bikes, Miami also in 1987.

Shimano 600 Gear, Araya Rims, Turbo Seat.

awesome tri a, mate! i remember Barty's Bikes (we used to live on malcolmson st), and i ran into Peter in the late 90's on a coal mine. used to frequent his shop, dreaming of one of those lovely bikes 'one day'.

sirrombi

Postby sirrombi » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks mate. Lived around the corner off Norris Rd!!
Barty & I started the Mackay Triathlon Club back then. Still going I believe, although these days most clubs don't remember where their roots started.
Heading out now for a late PM ride on it!! Even at 74 yo!

fitz

Postby fitz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Bendo wrote:Image20170119_070040 by 弁慶, on Flickr

Not an old bike, but definitely retro: my new 650 x 42B randonneur, made by Toei in Kawaguchi City. As far as they knew I was their first Australian customer! Made from a mix of Kaisei 017 and 019 steel tubing, lugless, with internal brake cable and wiring. Mix of classic Japanese and French components. Very happy boy me! b :D
Stunning - bike of the year so far!
Can I have some of these?

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:15 pm

Picked up this small '92 Kojima Condor in December as an impulse buy. Original owner, good nick, all original parts & no rust on anything- Tange 900, Shimano 500EX, Araya 700c's, SR stem & post, Viscount saddle. Its ~48ST x ~52TT, the original post was ~15-20mm too short at min insert so I picked up an SR TCO for $10 off Gumtree to use for a bit of extra height.

Annoyingly it had a massive frame-mounted kick-stand that's scratched the frame pretty bad at the NDS stays so I need to touch that up. It also had a rear rack, mounted via a big hex head seat binder bolt & through the rear wheel skewer...after replacing the binder bolt & crumbling tyres with Michelin Lithion 2 I realised the back wheel was out of true/dish and closer to the frame NDS. There was also slight play in the vertical drops. The LBS sorted the wheel and did a tiny bit of filing of the drop, but didn't have anything to check frame true. I've now got ~4mm NDS & ~6-7mm DS clearance, next stop is a cycle repair shop to see what they think but may not be worth it :P

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Two new Italian stallions added to the stable this week. The Tomas was a gift, and the Morotti a purchase from Slovenia.
The Tomas; Tomas frame (framebuilder from Padova, who worked for Vetta) built for the shop Cicli Alberti of Ferrara.
The Morotti; Bought for $200.00 shipped from Slovenia. High end frame with top tube internal brake routing, Gilco style tubing and indentation in seat tube for tighter geometry. Still researching history of bike and builder.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:00 am

^ Do like, particularly the Tomas. Interesting the fork crown panto with the Columbus bird.

Guess the Morotti has been re-sprayed at some point. Nice detail with the seat tube cable guide for the front mech.

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 am

Yes I like the Tomas Quite a lot. The person I got it from, months ago offered it to me free. I declined because I told him It was worth money, and I'd prefer that he build it up himself, with my help if needed. So he turned up last week and insisted that I have it, which was very generous of him. In return I've offered that he can borrow any of my bikes, but especially the Tomas, for the day rather than they sit unused.
The Morotti has had a repaint, but even so it would seem to be a special bike as it seems to have a lot of attention to detail. Of note is that the back seat stays are oval in profile for aerodynamics. The reason I mentioned the price I paid for it, is that over the years I've read that people complain that good quality Italian bikes are too expensive. Well this bike is a case of where a bit of patience and effort you can pick up quality cheaply. The guy who I bought the bike off paid 50 euros in postage alone. Now I know that a cheap frame is only a part of the cost of building a bike and that a full campy group set can blow the budget. But who tells you that you have to have a campy groupo? For someone with a budget in mind can use a used Shimano 105 group set or buy a complete bike with a 105 group set and wheels, and use it as a donor bike { which you can pick up for as little as $100.00}.So total outlay can be $300.00. Replace it with better components as time goes by. Just my opinion. cheers

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:28 am

^ Yeah, I picked up my Pinarello (also re-sprayed) complete for $300 and although I've spent plenty on it since, I rode it for a few years virtually unchanged save a bit of TLC. Makes me laugh when I see 80's Italian frames selling for thousands.

Nothing like original paint and decals to jack up the price of frames.

Mozziediver

Postby Mozziediver » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:27 pm

Picked up a Raleigh Twenty 1974 folder in January. It was in good condition for its age, despite some rust and oxidation, perished tyres, and a missing folder bolt. Here partly disassembled.
I've managed to source a bolt, cleaned up a lot of the rust and oxidation, put on new tyres and replaced one tube.
Further, the front bearings needed replacing, but looking inside the rear SA 3 speed AW it seems to be in good nick.
The stock seat post is not tall enough, so I acquired a longer one, and since this picture I have replaced the gear cable. It's a nice ride, if a bit hard to stop!
Moz
------------
Surly LHT 2013, '74 Raleigh 20 folder updated, Focus Aventura2 ebike.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Thanks to a tip off from my father-in-law, I picked Up this nice old Cecil Walker today.

I'm guessing it's 1950's. The number stamp on the rear right fork tip appears to be 3670.

It's got some nice parts on it. VEW light hubs, flip flop rear, Gnutti cranks, simplex rod front changer, ATP stem and I'm guessing bars, Moniter Speedster brake calipers. Rims are unknown but are 27" with zinc plates double butted spokes.

Don't know what to do with it yet. Size is 23" centre to centre for both the top and seat tube so it fits me but I'm not sure if I'm the one for it. I really like my bikes to be regular riders.

https://instagram.com/p/BSz1e2NjsvG/

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Would it be up to doing the Piccolo Fondo at the NSB?

Is that a Svelto rear derailleur?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Great all original bike Scott.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:03 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Would it be up to doing the Piccolo Fondo at the NSB?

Is that a Svelto rear derailleur?
I think it is and as such I believe it's a latter addition to the frame. The cable clamps are mostly Shimano as well

The whole thing needs a bit of work before it's up for any serious riding. I would be inclined to set it up as a fixed gear just to show the paint off better. Not sure what's the best way to clean up the paint though as any vigorous cleaning is sure to rub off the the lovely scroll and box lining.

RAYZOR

Postby RAYZOR » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:13 pm

Testing imgur. If this works, this is my 86 Gitane Champion that I restored.

RAYZOR

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Well done, you have a nice bike & have overcome the barrier of posting images.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

munga

Postby munga » Mon May 01, 2017 8:48 am

picked up a bag of lollies last week:

munga

Postby munga » Wed May 03, 2017 7:48 pm

changed up a few things on this today.
it's an eddy merckx 10th anniversary frame in slx, with a late model campagnolo drivetrain (groupset and wheelset). my favourite thing is the matching-year flite saddle. and that it's awesome-sauce!

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu May 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Looks nice munga. How about some proper shots to do it justice and so we can discern the details?

munga

Postby munga » Thu May 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Uncle Just wrote:Looks nice munga. How about some proper shots to do it justice and so we can discern the details?
it's more of a 20' bike, to be honest. ;)

munga

Postby munga » Thu May 04, 2017 7:19 pm

one more:

can't claim the credit for this build. my old frame, sold to a friend about 5 years ago. bought it back from him, complete, earlier this year. non-aero seatpost and classic box section wheels to be fitted.

itpesaf

Postby itpesaf » Sat May 06, 2017 1:36 am

Below is my Peugeot carbolite I recently restored -

Before

After

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Wed May 10, 2017 11:03 pm

munga wrote:picked up a bag of lollies last week:

tell me more, i love the paint scheme
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Tue May 23, 2017 9:26 pm

^ well, guess it's mine now

will be slapping on an 8 speed Dura Ace downtube shifter group shortly
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes