You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

PANZR

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby PANZR » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:36 am

minhyy wrote:Upgraded my Tommasini Super Prestige with 11 speed Super Record, XLR8 wheels and almost all parts are Italian :wink:

While I'm usually a retro-grouch. This is outstanding!

I love not just the build as a whole but also the details that I am often too picky about...such as the position and angle of the saddle, seat post height, stem height, bar angle, lever position, grip tape choice, cable length, cable colour choice, valve caps, tyre choice etc etc...you've got it perfect in my eyes

I also like how you've allowed the lovely frame to draw the eye first then one can take in the details after
So many people would've colour co-ordinated all the contact points which would be like putting tinsel and flashing lights around a Rembrandt painting

Maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic but I just really love this
Great job. A masterclass in Nuovo-retro

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:34 am

Saw this on the FB feed the other day, and something bugged me. Really nice, quality update, looks mint. But...are they Josh's Rouleur rims? I know I'm being super-picky, etc, etc, but they're a little too deep for this build for mine. </picky>

However, and most importantly, it's not mine, so enjoy the cr*p out of it

Jim

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:50 am

familyguy wrote:Saw this on the FB feed the other day, and something bugged me. Really nice, quality update, looks mint. But...are they Josh's Rouleur rims? I know I'm being super-picky, etc, etc, but they're a little too deep for this build for mine. </picky>

However, and most importantly, it's not mine, so enjoy the cr*p out of it

Jim
I hear you but in this instance, for my tastes, I think they're good
Not too deep but enough to balance the chunky bar tape/large hoods and the bold black cranks
With the thickish Turbo saddle and that cockpit it could have possibly looked too top heavy

I'm not saying I think it's right for everybody just that for me, it is
Last edited by PANZR on Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:54 am

Fair point. It is more "black bits with silver flashes" rather than vice versa.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:43 pm

thanks for the appreciation gents :wink:

re: components. The bike was originally spec'd with seven speed Dura Ace 7400 and a dark ano'd wheelset. I was previously very slowly restoring/updating an Eddy Merckx Criterium which I had acquired the 11s Super Record for, but the project was taking too much time and I'm in a continuous state of denial about it being too small - 2-3cm smaller than what I usually ride. So with that on the backburner, it was logical to put the group on a much better fitting bike, and choosing the rest of the components around the frame as I wanted it to be the emphasis. A Turbo was a must, as I spend most of my riding time between that and Flites, the latter of which I reckon would have been too slim-looking for the build. I also considered white bartape per The Rules, but that would have broken up the arrangement of the rest of the bike. As Jim says, it's black bits with silver flashes. Black drivetrain and contact points, framing a beautiful silver frame with red hints and chromed stays+fork.

re: rims. They are the Rouleur Mk2 rims, 30mm deep and standard 19mm width IIRC. They preceded the current generation of the Rouleur rim, which is 26mm deep and 24mm wide. I was aiming for H Plus Son Archetype or TB14 rims, but stock was low and the dollar was weak. Josh had this set as a new display wheelset, so I got them for a very good price. When the bike was still in pieces, I was unsure how the wheels would look in the frame and I was initially envisioning a higher spoke count build, but at my ~63kg I can probably afford to lose a few spokes without worry. In the end, I think it's worked out very well and I am more than happy with the final result :D
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

shellyeah

Postby shellyeah » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:14 pm

Hello, a newbie here (uh oh! :roll: :lol:)

Today I bought a Malvern Star. I'm not sure if I got it cheap or overpaid, but the old fella seller on his motorised scooter took me through his garage full of the things he tinkers with (bike bits and other things he fixes up) and I just couldn't talk him down. (Call me a sap, but I've got a good job, and he was an elderly sweetie, and well he deserved the $85 I gave him *gasp, confessional*)

I'd love to hear anything - keep in mind the fact I'm an amateur, and I impulse bought it based on I didn't want to spend $200 on a shiny Big W replica bike. I decided I'd risk $85 on a vintage Malvern Star, be it shoddy or not. (1980 kid here).

Before I do some more research and looking at my bike to analyse my purchase, is there anything you can tell me about my bike? (Apologies I haven't yet checked for numbers etc. It's dark now and I'm in Queensland, so I chose not to mess with the mozzies and toads right now to the shed)

What can you tell me about the bike? Model? Is it an 80's or 70's bike?
What can I look for on my bike to help me discover more about my bike.
It does have a bit of surface rust and a weird bit of metal riveted onto the frame (oh gosh, please do not face palm me, I am already holding my breath :oops: )

Photos...

Thank you kindly

~shellyeah~

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:38 pm

Nicely balanced Tommasini. My only beef is not yours really but that Campag insist on producing carbon only quality groupsets. (I don't consider the alu Athena to cut it at all.) I also think a Flite saddle is heaps better aesthetically than that Turbo brick. At least you didn't fit a Brooks! Still great to see a quality bike on here, enjoy it.

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:36 pm

Recently found a "Blucher" road bike with low-ish end Modolo brakes and Galli rims. Just think is it worthwhile to do a light resto to sell? I'm more into my old Shogun MTB's and I sometimes come across other bikes in my searches. Will post pics when its in a more complete state. Had the front wheel respoked as the fronts where gal steel but rears stainless? Figure that out! Anyone have any history on these bikes?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:15 am

Dimitrizee wrote:Recently found a "Blucher" road bike with low-ish end Modolo brakes and Galli rims. Just think is it worthwhile to do a light resto to sell? I'm more into my old Shogun MTB's and I sometimes come across other bikes in my searches. Will post pics when its in a more complete state. Had the front wheel respoked as the fronts where gal steel but rears stainless? Figure that out! Anyone have any history on these bikes?
Blucher (or Bluecher as it is spelt in the absence of umlauts) is the family name of Raimondo from Mascot Cycles in Bridge Rd, Richmond. At least until Saturday which is the last trading day because he is moving to Italy. Yes there is a sale on.

There is a variety of frames that wear the name. At least in the late 90s the good ones were typically made to order in Sydney (by Kerry Hopkins??), but there were some lower end generic Taiwanese frames around as well. The good bikes were spec'd to order as well, so there is a variety of equipment that went onto them, and some were sold as bare frames.

Modolo and Galli stuff makes it sound like the bike was built in the 80s, so it wouldn't be a surprise for any number of the parts to have been replaced in that time.

Cheers,

Cameron

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Dimitrizee wrote:Recently found a "Blucher" road bike with low-ish end Modolo brakes and Galli rims. Just think is it worthwhile to do a light resto to sell? I'm more into my old Shogun MTB's and I sometimes come across other bikes in my searches. Will post pics when its in a more complete state. Had the front wheel respoked as the fronts where gal steel but rears stainless? Figure that out! Anyone have any history on these bikes?
sorry, couldn't resist

old steel Bikes

Postby old steel Bikes » Wed May 11, 2016 5:35 pm

Finally got a HOFFY had a couple of these new a long time ago. Frame is an 80s but being built at the moment as a 70s
Danny

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun May 15, 2016 10:40 pm

Well here's my contribution,

I'd like to say that it was the best that 1981 had to offer, but that would not be true. The Hi-Ten frame has been carefully sculptured (or stuck in a vice) to give it that popular aero shape. Curiously it has a braze on mount for the aero shifters, but it has been brazed on at an angle. Bottle mounts would have been nice too.

Of most interest is the full Adamas AX groupset, complete with hubs that require a full heads-in lacing, 6 spd UG cassette, and a cable housing free RD.

The mismatched wheels are so that I can use my dynohub and light as this is my commuter bike. I would have changed the wheels for photo purposes, but the dynohub wheel is 700C and the original is 27", and the original wouldn't fit now that I've adjusted it to suit.

Back in the day it would have been way too small, but with an inappropriate stem it ends up being reasonably close to my road bike.

I took the 'suicide levers' off, mainly because they had clearance issues with the modern bar tape. I suspect that it should have had the plastic 'packing tape' originally.

Cheers,

Cameron

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Mon May 16, 2016 7:11 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
Blucher (or Bluecher as it is spelt in the absence of umlauts) is the family name of Raimondo from Mascot Cycles in Bridge Rd, Richmond. At least until Saturday which is the last trading day because he is moving to Italy. Yes there is a sale on.

There is a variety of frames that wear the name. At least in the late 90s the good ones were typically made to order in Sydney (by Kerry Hopkins??), but there were some lower end generic Taiwanese frames around as well. The good bikes were spec'd to order as well, so there is a variety of equipment that went onto them, and some were sold as bare frames.

Modolo and Galli stuff makes it sound like the bike was built in the 80s, so it wouldn't be a surprise for any number of the parts to have been replaced in that time.

Cheers,

Cameron
Thanks for the info! Just need to get my butt into gear and start assembly. Hoping to post a pic when its done.

Aldavid

Postby Aldavid » Tue May 17, 2016 7:38 am

Getting close to finishing an 89 Cecil Walker. A genuine barn find from ebay, complete with ant farm, spiders and grass growing in the spokes.

After

If you dont know where you are going...how will you know when you get there !

Madrider

Postby Madrider » Fri May 20, 2016 6:37 pm

Latest addition to the stable

Raleigh Team Ti - circa 1981/82 - Reynolds 753 #SB4705

Not even actually ridden as yet and will need to sort the fit before changing Bar Tape to black & maybe shorten the brake cables etc for those that are fussy about those sort of things (me included)

Also posted in Raleigh thread :D

ImageIMAG1152[1] by aussierider43, on Flickr

munga

Postby munga » Fri May 20, 2016 8:12 pm

Madrider wrote:Latest addition to the stable

Raleigh Team Ti - circa 1981/82 - Reynolds 753 #SB4705

Not even actually ridden as yet and will need to sort the fit before changing Bar Tape to black & maybe shorten the brake cables etc for those that are fussy about those sort of things (me included)

Also posted in Raleigh thread :D

ImageIMAG1152[1] by aussierider43, on Flickr
wistful memories of my team ti pro. sadly, sold last year. there will be another, i'm sure.

munga

Postby munga » Fri May 27, 2016 6:58 am

..but in the meantime, here's a little red italian i picked up:

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Beautiful bike! I personally think that De Rosa built the best commercially available frames of the era. If you sourced the frame from where I think you did, you got it at a very good price. I tried to buy a bike listed on ebay before Christmas. It had been on ebay for months for $3500.00 + shipping, a frame and all the parts for a build [NOS]. I emailed him to ask if he was open to an offer, his response was " it's christmas and I'm on holiday". All he had to say was yes - no. So I sourced a frame in the US for $500.00 shipped, and then bought a fork locally $300.00. shipped. I already had SR group set that cost $290.00, wheels $150.00 and delta brakes $350.00. Seeing I was going to offer $3100.00 for his bike I'm glad he had an attitude. He eventually sold the bike by breaking it up, and got less than what I was going to offer him. Not that I think that the bike was over priced, just look at ebay US and see what the go for there,and factor in us$400.00 shipping.

dean_oo

Postby dean_oo » Fri May 27, 2016 1:29 pm

munga wrote:..but in the meantime, here's a little red italian i picked up:

that is super nice!
The journey is more important than the destination!

munga

Postby munga » Fri May 27, 2016 5:17 pm

bog1953 wrote:Beautiful bike! I personally think that De Rosa built the best commercially available frames of the era. If you sourced the frame from where I think you did, you got it at a very good price.
thanks gents. i got it for a very, very good price, then. when you make an offer three days before the seller is due to go overseas for a month, sometimes it pays off. it's a great fit, it's mostly original, and it's a beautifully built frame. the paint and chrome is a generous 7/10, but it'll do me juuuuust fine.
bog1953 wrote:I tried to buy a bike listed on ebay before Christmas. It had been on ebay for months for $3500.00 + shipping, a frame and all the parts for a build [NOS]. I emailed him to ask if he was open to an offer, his response was " it's christmas and I'm on holiday". All he had to say was yes - no. So I sourced a frame in the US for $500.00 shipped, and then bought a fork locally $300.00. shipped. I already had SR group set that cost $290.00, wheels $150.00 and delta brakes $350.00. Seeing I was going to offer $3100.00 for his bike I'm glad he had an attitude. He eventually sold the bike by breaking it up, and got less than what I was going to offer him. Not that I think that the bike was over priced, just look at ebay US and see what the go for there,and factor in us$400.00 shipping.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 28, 2016 3:22 am

Aldavid wrote:Getting close to finishing an 89 Cecil Walker. A genuine barn find from ebay, complete with ant farm, spiders and grass growing in the spokes.

After

That came up good. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

7VEN

Postby 7VEN » Sat May 28, 2016 4:26 pm

Here's my latest build, Hobbs of Barbican Roadweight with Osgear.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat May 28, 2016 5:39 pm

7VEN wrote:Here's my latest build, Hobbs of Barbican Roadweight with Osgear.
Very nice. Have you seen Clydesdale Scotts 1946 Hobbs of Barbican ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

7VEN

Postby 7VEN » Sat May 28, 2016 5:57 pm

find_bruce wrote: Very nice. Have you seen Clydesdale Scotts 1946 Hobbs of Barbican ?
Thanks very much. Yes, I met Phillip over on LFGSS and he's sold me some of his honking rubbers a few years back. I sold him a Lytaloy headset recently for one of his builds. Some really nice builds on here!

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon May 30, 2016 9:45 am

munga wrote:..but in the meantime, here's a little red italian i picked up:

Nice bike Munga, I pulled my last project frame out of a skip like that too :-) .