You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Wezz

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby Wezz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:45 am

Thanks Gary.

Mark, I filed down the original rings on the top of the top tube and smoothed them over. I then drilled into the side of the top tube ( :cry: yes, i drilled a SLX frame) and then araldited on the routers.

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:39 pm

this is my girly ss shopping bike. I just wanted something i could easily jump on in thongs or whatever and zip down to get the groceries with. the seat while looking comfy at first, makes pedalling a f#%^^ing pain in the ass, so an old brooks i have will be swapped on soon. and also a wooden wine crate once my semilier friend hooks me up with one to replace the stupid milk crate

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Which I'm pretty sure is a Malvern Star "Superstar" - all stamped steel dropouts and gas pipe frame. The parts are a build kit from a broken Apollo III, with a set of dia-compe bar ends instead of downtube clamp-ons.

As you can see, it's in mock up stage at the moment so I can check everything fits. I was going to put some Weinmann 500 brakes on it but it appears the set I have are for 700c rather than 27" so wouldn't fit.

Frame was bare but painted when I got it - it's pretty woeful but it'll make a rideable commuter I think.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:30 pm

^ you sir, need to clean up :shock:

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:13 pm

Stovepipe wrote:^ you sir, need to clean up :shock:
Heh - my problem is the wife had a clean up that involved picking up all the junk from the house and "cleaning it up" right into my shed. :x
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:14 pm

it's a work site, construction zone, it's work in progress, enter site with appropiate PPSE. If ya can't stand the mess then stay outta the shed :lol:
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:59 am

drubie wrote:
Heh - my problem is the wife had a clean up that involved picking up all the junk from the house and "cleaning it up" right into my shed. :x
Is the bin not in or next to the shed- keep that junk moving.

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Here I was expecting a long list of comments saying "do not waste any time on that malvern star" and it's the shed that comes in for criticism :oops:

I'm thinking about fitting Di2 to the Superstar, with carbon bars and Zipp 404s if I can find brakes with long enough reach, although I'm not sure how to mount the battery. Anybody mounted a Di2 battery to a hi-ten frame? Duct tape?

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:13 pm

WHAT - You are putting fishing gear on it????

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:53 pm

brokenbus wrote:WHAT - You are putting fishing gear on it????
Yeah, I thought the Suntour Vx-S gear was a little upmarket.

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Just completed this,then onto this Casati Monza.In poor condition and lived in a shed for the past 15yrs.105 groupset.
ImageImageImageImageImage
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:28 pm

BLU_FZ! wrote:neato
Mavic Open 4CDs on that Casati BLU_FZ?

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:59 am

Love the handlebars on the Casati.

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:36 pm

drubie wrote:
BLU_FZ! wrote:neato
Mavic Open 4CDs on that Casati BLU_FZ?
Yep,whats special about them? i had a guy contact me from the UK wanting to buy them.Imo,Just a French rim with a Jap gutz
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

munga

Postby munga » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:08 pm

nothing special per se, but they're good rims. you can still find them for about $60 a piece

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:27 pm

munga wrote:nothing special per se, but they're good rims. you can still find them for about $60 a piece
I would have thought that there were more wheels available in Eu than Au,,,silly poms but he did mention knowone wants to split a pair up.....and neither do i

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 pm

BLU_FZ! wrote:
munga wrote:nothing special per se, but they're good rims. you can still find them for about $60 a piece
I would have thought that there were more wheels available in Eu than Au,,,silly poms but he did mention knowone wants to split a pair up.....and neither do i
I think what's happened is they're good period late eighties / early nineties rims and idjits like me (with a bike of that period) want to match up a set cos they've got one. Special? Probably because they were highly regarded training rims back then I suppose. Attrition probably accounts for lots of odd sets.

If Munga knows where I can get a 32 hole rim I'm still in the market for one to make up a front wheel for my elan. If it was already laced up to a campag hub I'm in awesome land.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:45 pm

drubie wrote:If Munga knows where I can get a 32 hole rim I'm still in the market for one to make up a front wheel for my elan. If it was already laced up to a campag hub I'm in awesome land.
Jenson has the Mavic Open Pro rim in 32H black... http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ ... o+Rim.aspx but shipping will tear you a new one.

Try asking the lads at Cecil Walker http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category105_1.htm
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

munga

Postby munga » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:53 pm

i have no secret supplier of 4cd's drubie, but if i hear of any 32h i will send details your way. i have seen them on matuzmaster for usd$60 each, plus shipping.
what about a 28h? too lightweight for j00?

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:40 pm

28 would work munga as long as I can find a campy hub from 89 to 94 or so that matches the 8 speed back one

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:17 am

My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Grabbed this today from one of the members,chucked on a set of Mavic rims for the pic,going to use the wheels from my busted arse Trek 2300,Boty Race Lites.Its in good enough nick not to spend money on and just ride and enjoy.When i get the urge to fiddle i will swap everthing out for the Treks Ultegra stuff

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:59 pm

rebilda wrote:(sweet paino)
Rebilda - did you do the reproduction "cycles ultima" decals or did you manage to buy new ones?

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:08 am

Rebilda: nice ride, I just learnt about this particular mark care of Cycle Exif, thought others might be interested, here's the link. Great blog if you're not familiar with it. Well jealous of the bike.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:47 am

drubie wrote:Rebilda - did you do the reproduction "cycles ultima" decals or did you manage to buy new ones?
Bit of a story there.
We carefully removed some of the decals and took photos of the downtube "paino" decals. My brother works in Graphic Design & repoduction, so he produced the artwork for new decals to be made up.
After a lot of chasing around and some outrageous quotes, Greg at Cyclomondo ended up producing the new decals at a great price. He now has the artwork so anyone else resoring a Paino, can get their hands on this decal set for about $50.

You will notice Justin Fox's Paino is now sporting these decals
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2