You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

munga

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby munga » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:34 pm

they keep the mud and grime out of the brakes i guess.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:37 pm

munga wrote:they keep the mud and grime out of the brakes i guess.
Yep, that's about all they were meant to do.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

old steel Bikes

Postby old steel Bikes » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:00 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Very nice. I do like a bike setup with barend shifters. I wonder how effective those shorty mudguards really are?
In the early 70s in NSW nearly all the bikes with gears had barend shifters but died out quickly and the only reason is they worked well with the 5 speed cluster but not so well with the 6 speed. Getting the last cog was quite difficult and I think this was caused by the diameter of the cable runner of the shifter being a litter to small. Also some times your knee would hit the lever and would change your gear at the not most appropriate time. I have read in Europe they where cutting about an inch off the end of the bars to stop this from happening.

I agree the shorty mudguards would be just about useless. I did put a set of mudguards on my training bike as most people where using them at the time I only kept them n for one season took them off never to relace them again. The reason they are fittered to his bike is are shown on the catalogue and they look good on the bike too.

Danny

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:16 pm

old steel Bikes wrote:Also some times your knee would hit the lever and would change your gear at the not most appropriate time.
That's the first time I've heard of that happening with bar-end shifters, but I've experienced it with stem shifters. Very unpleasant experience.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:26 pm

I have bar end shifters on the Alegro, they don't get in the way except occasionally when turning from a stanstill but otherwise fine. They work fine with 10 speeds on the back.

Those small mudguards are useless, I remember having them on a bike when I was a teen some decades ago.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:00 pm

I’ve run a few bikes with suntour barcons and love the ease of access, especially on rough surfaces. I’ve never banged my knees but I use 42cm bars, not the 38cm ones that where all the rage in the 50’s and 60’s.

hemirokingi

Postby hemirokingi » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:40 pm

Hi all,

Here is my beautiful mixte! When I bought it it had a few different Shimano components (nothing special), with the Deore AX crankset and pedals. It was $20 which seemed like a good price, if only to keep the pedals and cranks. However, after an afternoon of riding I fell totally in love with the mixte frame and decided it would become my commuter. I read up on the Deore AX groupset and ended up purchasing the DT shifters and both derailleurs. The look and feel of all the parts is great, and really seem to match the vibe of the bike. I've redone all the cabling, swapped the handlebars (original drop bars were bent), serviced the headset and bottom bracket and added new tyres! I also put together a rack and now it's ridden every day to uni.
I really don't know much about the origins of this bike - the only sort of indication is a bike shop sticker from Malaysia. I know there is a serial number on there somewhere, will have to have a look for it and post some more info. Any thoughts or info would be highly appreciated!!

EDIT: Thanks for the tip re - photobucket. I've posted them via flickr now! Hopefully this works! It was very late at night posting this, so I've made a few edits to the original post also :wink:

ImageIMG-5123 by Hemi Robinson-Kingi, on Flickr
ImageIMG-5132 by Hemi Robinson-Kingi, on Flickr
ImageIMG-5127 by Hemi Robinson-Kingi, on Flickr
ImageIMG-5135 by Hemi Robinson-Kingi, on Flickr
Last edited by hemirokingi on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Just a heads up, you need to use another site to host images like flickr or imgur (I actually just use facebook) as photobucket doesn't show up anymore, unless you spend a king's ransom.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Milpool

Postby Milpool » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:27 am

That is a fine looking bike!

goribildo

Postby goribildo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:12 pm

photobucket.com ruined this post :cry:

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:28 pm

Nice bike. I do like a clean original Mixte

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:30 pm

hemirokingi wrote:Image
That's a gorgeous mixti Hemi, thanks for sharing

drex

Postby drex » Thu May 03, 2018 7:09 am

I think (hope?) this sneaks in as 'retro'?

Started my first restoration project last night - Repco Superlight, been sitting in an elderly gent's shed for many years untouched, he passed away last year and this ended up on Gumtree for not much.

Anyone able to decode what J50962 on the frame is?

First step is to clean it up and at least get it running - thinking new chain, loosen up & align derailleurs, lube the brakes (the pads seem ok, but not sure if they should be swapped out too), replace cables (all rusted), grease hubs (both crunchy), put on some new bar tape and swap on some new tyres & tubes that I've got spare from another bike (tyre walls disintegrated in my hands when I touched them, so guessing it has been sitting around for quite a while).

After that, keep it to scoot around my local for a while and think about what to do with it (if anything) longer term.

No idea what to expect since this is my first time fixing up an old bike, but will be spending a lot of time trawling old posts here I reckon...

hemirokingi

Postby hemirokingi » Thu May 03, 2018 11:39 am

drex wrote:...thinking new chain, loosen up & align derailleurs, lube the brakes (the pads seem ok, but not sure if they should be swapped out too), replace cables (all rusted), grease hubs (both crunchy), put on some new bar tape and swap on some new tyres & tubes that I've got spare from another bike (tyre walls disintegrated in my hands when I touched them, so guessing it has been sitting around for quite a while)...
Looks awesome! I have a very similar superlite that I've resprayed and done up as a fixie - I love it! Definitely retro. Others may disagree with this, but I've found it works OK in the past - often the chain can be cleaned up with a wire brush (by hand or on a drill) and some lubricant. Doesn't look the prettiest, but you can definitely get it running smoothly and save $20! Can be handy since these jobs often blow out to much more than you expect to start with!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Milpool

Postby Milpool » Thu May 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Great looking project! I'm a sucker for purple bikes.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sat May 26, 2018 1:59 pm

Finally finished the new wheels for the Pinarello

drex

Postby drex » Sat May 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Nice! :D

drex

Postby drex » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:04 pm

So I picked up a real mixed bag this weekend from an ad on Gumtree. The lovely old bloke who was selling it said he'd had it for ages, but that he couldn't really ride any more, so it had to go. It has no brand name or markings on the frame, other than to say that it is made from Tange Infinity tubing, so I'm guessing it was a custom built job? Has a Sugino Cycloid crankset, which did my head in when I first looked at the 52/42 oval chainrings (I thought they were damaged until I did some research), friction shifters, BR-L490 Shimano brakes, a Shimano Acera rear derailleur (looks like it is a relatively recent addition), and the brakes have been set up like a European bike with the left lever operating the front brakes. I reckon from the brakes and crankset that it is circa 1988, but that's just a guess. Anyone ever seen something similar? Has been well looked after - undid the quill stem to see if I could drop the bars down, fully expecting them to be seized, and they moved smoothly without even needing a nudge. Think I'll be doing minimal changes to this one and taking it out for a ride once I've given it a quick tizzy up, trued the wheels and put some air in the tyres!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:00 pm

drex wrote:So I picked up a real mixed bag this weekend from an ad on Gumtree. The lovely old bloke who was selling it said he'd had it for ages, but that he couldn't really ride any more, so it had to go. It has no brand name or markings on the frame, other than to say that it is made from Tange Infinity tubing, so I'm guessing it was a custom built job? Has a Sugino Cycloid crankset, which did my head in when I first looked at the 52/42 oval chainrings (I thought they were damaged until I did some research), friction shifters, BR-L490 Shimano brakes, a Shimano Acera rear derailleur (looks like it is a relatively recent addition), and the brakes have been set up like a European bike with the left lever operating the front brakes. I reckon from the brakes and crankset that it is circa 1988, but that's just a guess. Anyone ever seen something similar? Has been well looked after - undid the quill stem to see if I could drop the bars down, fully expecting them to be seized, and they moved smoothly without even needing a nudge. Think I'll be doing minimal changes to this one and taking it out for a ride once I've given it a quick tizzy up, trued the wheels and put some air in the tyres!

Ironically I pulled a late 80s Sugino crankset off a bike today. How coincidental.
I'm wondering if this is a Nishiki of some sort, or something similar. Don't s'pose this has a SunTour front derailleur? Think your estimation of date is fairly accurate, the Cycloid stuff came out 86/87 (was a more aggressive version of Shimano's BioPace...and not very popular). I've never ridden one, although I do like my BioPace.

Whatever it is, nice bike.

gchan3

Postby gchan3 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:21 pm

Found this Cinelli Nautilus few weeks ago and spent a few weekends restoring it. I am very happy with the end result. Full Campy Record groupset. Cinelli Columbus Nemo tubing. Cinelli pretty much everything else, Bar, seatpost, Quill. And it rides like a dream too:) Happy days. This is my first retro restore project, any feedback or knowledge of this bike are welcome.

Image,

Image,

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:11 pm

Very nice. I can't offer any info on this frame other than red is my fav colour for bikes. :wink:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 am

Can't fault it, beautiful bike.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:07 am

It ticks all my boxes and you even put the tyres on correctly (labels etc in the same position in relation to valve on both wheels).

A quick google search reveals it was for sale near where I live. Luckily I haven't been looking at Gumtree.

gchan3

Postby gchan3 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:47 am

Hehe, that was my own ad, wanted to sell but decided later it is a keeper. Approved by the CFO and validation of N+1 equation:)

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:59 am

Very nice despite the complete lack of SunTour (jk). Seriously, very nice.