You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Clydesdale Scot

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:45 pm

A second hand saddle is problematic; you do not know of its history. This can matter with a tensioned leather saddle.
Wiggle have some delivered for a reasonable price.
Wiggle Brooks B17
Your chain appears to need a bit of tension.
Would be good to see the history of the bike more fully documented in a new thread.
I have restored my fathers bike from 1948. That probably puts me older than you, so no excuses about age.
You don't have the original saddle frame stored somewhere?
Philip

scott j

Postby scott j » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:42 pm

Yea don't want a new seat looking for something a bit rustic.
On the lookout for a "rustic" pump as well

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 pm

I picked this one up for $50 from Gumtree yesterday. It's a Giant Kronos circa about 1997. It's chromoly steel. It's currently set up as a tourer. 27 speed, but I'm set on converting it with a new rear hub and groupset to something modern 9-11 speed or so, not sure exactly what yet, but its a work in progress. I'm building it up as a commuter/trainer.

There's a few things I love about this bike already. It has a really nice short top tube giving it a sleeker look. Being a 54 and being short also 178cm tall means I can ride it comfortably without having to be bent over. The fact that its old means I can get cheap hubs and cassettes that no one uses anymore. I may need to get a quill converter though to go from 26mm handlebars eventually if I want something nice though.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:55 am

^ Hello cross chain :wink:

Approved. There was a time I was in the market for a Giant Kronos, they look like a good all-round bike to me.

Aldavid

Postby Aldavid » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Given a 92 Shogun frame. This is the end result with a 600 arabesque groupset and Japanese rims,hubs,bars and stem.
Posted in Shogun App Society, no avtivity there since 09.
If you dont know where you are going...how will you know when you get there !

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:49 pm

P!N20 wrote:^ Hello cross chain :wink:

There was a time I was in the market for a Giant Kronos, they look like a good all-round bike to me.
I will be fixing that and getting rid of the brifters for a modern groupset, don't worry about that one. The price of hubs and carbon pieces for these old bikes is ridiculously cheap now because no one else wants them. I plan on sympathetically bringing it back up to modern standard while keeping its classic early 90s look. I'll get some nice steel bidonhoulders also so I can complete the look with contemporary bidons. Maybe some Once team bidons will suit.

I want to keep it looking as stock as possible, so maybe a carbon seat post and bars, but that's about as far as I would go with it really. The contemporary brifters are going, they're just a pain in the arse. You can sometimes fix them when they get gummed up with lots of WD40 but sometimes they just end up being seized. I have been given a modern groupset $free off a guy upgrading his mid-level bike.

I would only really need a hub, and to decide whether I want an 11 speed cassette. The 27speed is good in theory but its another thing that can break and be impossible to replace when it does. I want to upgrade to later Shimano gear I can fix/replace when something goes wrong. I will probably upgrade the brakes to something more modern also, the break setup on these early 90s design bikes can be a little funky to say the least.

The strap peddles will likely go for plain platforms at first and then maybe if I decide to actually use it as a trainer I'll fit clippless peddles but I really don't see much of a point for this bike. It's never going to be particularly fast. It needs new bar tape and tyres, probably new wheels eventually.

I may upgrade to mountain bike clipless eventually, but I want to take a few photos of it as a retro-modern racer first once its built up back to showroom standard.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:44 pm

^ You can pull those brifters apart to clean them properly - I've done it, and while it's a bit fiddly the result is usually far and away better than just soaking them or spraying WD-40 into them. There's a 'how to' guide around here somewhere. But if you want the luxury of modern components, then fine.

Personally I would keep the alloy seatpost, stem and bars - not sure what you really gain apart from a few grams. I think the CF stuff would look out of place. It's your bike though, so go nuts.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:39 pm

P!N20 wrote:^ You can pull those brifters apart to clean them properly - I've done it, and while it's a bit fiddly the result is usually far and away better than just soaking them or spraying WD-40 into them. There's a 'how to' guide around here somewhere. But if you want the luxury of modern components, then fine.

Personally I would keep the alloy seatpost, stem and bars - not sure what you really gain apart from a few grams. I think the CF stuff would look out of place. It's your bike though, so go nuts.
The plan is mostly to make it modern but sympathetic. The brifters are a bit gammy at the moment, we tried soaking them in WD40, they really need to be pulled apart and rebuilt like you said. But... I've been given a free modern groupset and if it means a bike that is easier to work on later then why not?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Picked this up from a forumite today. I gave the chrome a little love with the steel wool and it's come up very nicely.

The plan is to swap the black 5700 105 group off my Shogun onto this. With some black cables, bar tape and my black Arione seat to complete it.

Jim

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:28 pm

95% assembled Paconi. Didn't have spare RD cable to complete the swap. The bike I took the parts off (also quite big) was a good 50mm short on the gear cables, the difference between under-BB and over-BB cable runs/guides.

Black seat coming tomorrow. Black hubs/black rims are going on once I get them out of storage.

Jim

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:39 am

I have 90% reassembled the Kronos as of yesterday. A small success is that it can now actually be rode on the road now. In the end my brother and I chose to go with some modern components. It now has SRAM double tap shifters, A SRAM Rival groupset and chainset and a SRAM Apex derailleur. In the mean time we have deleted all of the old Shimano RSX gear. The wheels at the moment are generic Taiwanese "Alex Rims" (stickers deleted) :oops: but better than the ones that were on it.

I've changed around my thoughts on things. I'm just going to get a shorter quill stem. Quill adapters are ugly and unnatural on a bike of this vintage. It's currently running a Sakae Quill Steam and a set of period Sakae Road Champion steel drop bars. I may fidget with the drop bars and get a set that match my shoulder width. It does also need new pedals but that is also something that's coming.

When you spend half a day stripping a bike back to bare frame and rebuilding it from ground up there a few things you don't get around to doing. However, there is a lot of fun bringing new life to an old steel lugged bike. Particularly a mixed breed of modern and retro... Check the modern Giant logo on a lugged steel construction frame. :wink: This would place the bike as being somewhere circa 1995 and now it looks exactly as it should have in the shop window minus a new set of pedals.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 pm

1990s Kennedy Elite, Ultegra 2x10, Shimano r540s for that low-spoke cafe racer look..
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:55 pm

1990 Shogun Samurai.
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 pm

And a 1989 Peugeot PE10, 105 2x9 running off the BioPace rings. .
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 am

More comfortable because its the right size, too? Pretty wide variety of sizes you've got there!

That Kennedy is almost a dead ringer for one I've got.

Jim

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:58 am

familyguy wrote:More comfortable because its the right size, too?
Not by the look of that seatpost height.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 am

52, 52, 59!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:12 pm

familyguy wrote:52, 52, 59!
Good eyes, well spotted. 53,52,58

The seat posts get pulled back down for storage reasons as they won't fit (vertically) in the storage space I have with lots of exposed seat post. And also subjectively I don't like the look of a lot of seat post in photos. Don't know why, can't explain it, has always been the case.
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:28 pm

And the two little ones are to be sold, to finance other bike build

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:04 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Modern fitment would suggest the need for 60cms of seat post... However, you don't actually need it. All you need is a couple centimeters between your inseam and your top tube. If you can get a seatpost at a safe insertion point that wont crack your seat tube as a result that's all that matters after that point. The rest can be adjusted to suit the rider and you can mount your stem lower if its needed also.

Having less drop between your seat post and your stem is actually more comfortable. I could fit a 55 (in half sizes), 54 or 52. However, I find the Giant I'm currently riding which is a 54 the most comfortable with less seat post. I also don't look like one of those modern riders who metaphorically look like a scrunched up accordion in a small attempt to save weight. In a tradition sense If your 6foot tall you shouldn't be riding a 52, but now we see modern tour riders riding 52 sized bikes to save weight, I guess it works, but it looks ridiculous.

Most modern riders don't get how silly they look so here is a satirical interpretation prepared earlier:

Last edited by Kronos on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:15 pm

https://flic.kr/p/GzAxJV

This is my Royal Star - built by Ron Bates and Graham Seers, Hurstville Sydney 1981. Ishiwata tubing.
Everything is Campagnolo Gran Sport including headset, BB, seatpost, front and rear mechs, cranks, pedals, hubs ...campag toe clips and chainrings.
Rims are Fiamme red label tubulars, handlebars are Fiamme dallas, and a rare Fiamme stem.

I shall put up photos shortly of my 1991 alloy Fausto Coppi (team Polti)
running Campag Athena / Chorus gear with Mavic Cosmic wheels. Coppi saddle.

In the pipeline in various stages of assemble I have:
1980s Lennie Rogers with Zeus gear, Titan stem and bars
1990s Faggin with Galli and Campag vento wheels
1970s Blom with Galli and Ambrosio wheels
1940s Slim Ward satellite with cotter cranks and Simplex gears
1930 fully restored SJH with Major Taylor stem and bars and inch pitch running gear
1990 Lotus Sport 110 monocoque copy running 10 speed Shimano and Xtreme Tri spoke wheels
1980s MIKI frame with a variety of Japanese components including a Nitto adjustable stem
1940s Speedwell with wooden wheels
1960 Cinelli with Gran Sport
1950s Bismire track bike with Titan stem and bars
1960 no-name Italian track frame running full Campag gear including NOS Omega wheels and Cinelli pista bars and stem

I also have a Merckx Panasonic which I use on the bike path, 4 gears, ladies bike handlebars, tri-spoke rear wheel and a front Shamal. AX cranks and brakes. Just for fun.

should keep me busy for a while
Last edited by Derny Driver on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Derny Driver wrote:https://flic.kr/p/GzAxJV
Mmm, that headset and stem is dead sexy.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Image019 by Derny Driver, on Flickr

Really nice DD. Wish I could have made the show to see it in the flesh

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Kronos wrote:
P!N20 wrote:
Modern fitment...etc.
"Fist full of seat post" was all you needed to say. Previous position advice was always based on riding the drops too.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:49 pm

familyguy wrote:
Kronos wrote:
P!N20 wrote:
Modern fitment...etc.
"Fist full of seat post" was all you needed to say. Previous position advice was always based on riding the drops too.
And you're right, sometimes its better to say it in three to five words then prove a point and cause an argument at the same time. Your also right about riding on the drops (without your bum in the air). If you can do your stretches and ride more often on the drops you can pretty much guarantee yourself about 1.5-2% extra efficiency overnight in losing the drag you've created by riding upright or with your bum in the air.

riding low is after all what led Greg LeMond to tour victory.