You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby Hansel » Sun May 18, 2014 9:14 am

find_bruce wrote:The original bill is a lovely touch. According to this website 2,114.95 Dutch guilders = $1,274.68 AUD in 1988, or about $2,691.39 accounting for inflation

Cool website:) The actual price for the bike is the 1995 Dutch guilders. The rest is for a pair of shoes, some vaseline and other stuff I can't decipher. So it would be 2538,95 AUD.
Hansel

by BNA » Sun May 18, 2014 8:13 pm

BNA

Berini powered BSA

Postby healey100 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi all,

My 1951 Berini powered BSA is now pretty much complete. Just fitted the child seat and am very happy with the final look.
Enjoy!

Cheers

Jim
healey100

Postby flash739 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi Guys, am a new member, would like to upload my photo of my Bates of Coburg, but cant seam to work out how to post images here? confused to say the least.
flash739

Postby find_bruce » Sun May 18, 2014 8:42 pm

flash739 wrote:Hi Guys, am a new member, would like to upload my photo of my Bates of Coburg, but cant seam to work out how to post images here? confused to say the least.

here you will find the answer you are looking for
find_bruce

Postby flash739 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:14 pm

Bates of Coburg - Nouvo Record Circa 1969-1970.... 95% complete, missing large chain ring and headset bearing else its all orginal.
The clubs... discussion to come... very colnago... but then there is the English BB...
Tubing is Reynolds 531
Fiemme Rims
Will start another thread, as am about to undertake a full restore to bring back to former glory but have a few minor holes in the process that need plugging/help before it goes to be rechromed.
flash739

Postby munga » Sun May 18, 2014 11:16 pm

Try, you must!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby duncan16v » Mon May 19, 2014 7:14 am

Do. Or do not. There is no try.
duncan16v

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon May 19, 2014 8:50 pm

flash739 wrote:Bates of Coburg - Nouvo Record Circa 1969-1970.... 95% complete, missing large chain ring and headset bearing else its all orginal.
The clubs... discussion to come... very colnago... but then there is the English BB...
Tubing is Reynolds 531
Fiemme Rims
Will start another thread, as am about to undertake a full restore to bring back to former glory but have a few minor holes in the process that need plugging/help before it goes to be rechromed.

What a find. Very jealous.
singlespeedscott

Postby PatrickB » Mon May 19, 2014 9:12 pm

Wow brilliant bike. Can't wait to see it restored! Have you had it for long?
PatrickB

Postby flash739 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:39 pm

PatrickB wrote:Wow brilliant bike. Can't wait to see it restored! Have you had it for long?

I have had the bike for almost 2 months, purchased more out of confusion to be honest, thought it was possibly a colnago frameset that had been imported before being assembled build by Bates of Coburg due to the clubs. However the Reynolds 531 sticker and the English Campag bottom bracket end any notion of it being a Colnago. Anyone know any Victorian Cycling Clubs that had a black club logo maybe??

Either way it will be a nice restore job, hopefully. Have a couple of things I am stuck with still, have added a thread to the retro page on this bike, with full slideshow and a list of the few parts of the restore puzzle I am still missing...

If anyone can shed some tips, to solve the remaining issues, would be much appreciated.
flash739

Postby PatrickB » Mon May 19, 2014 9:40 pm

Cool will subscribe to restoration thread :)
PatrickB

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon May 19, 2014 9:50 pm

PatrickB wrote:Cool will subscribe to restoration thread :)

+1
singlespeedscott

Postby BurtO » Sun May 25, 2014 8:58 pm

We've had this old girl in my family for 20 plus years in various configurations, my father gave it to me 5 years ago and it got me into roadbikes and the restoring bug.
A couple of years ago I posted frame pictures on this site asking for help identifying the frame as it had no decals or serial only Campy dropouts and Columbus SLX tubing to go on.
Well I got PM'ed by a guy called Peter Campbell who said he not only recognised it .... he made it ! What gave it away to him was the cable guides under the BB shell, he said that the fashion in Europe was to have them run under the shell but he didn't have access to the guides so he had to use auto brake line pipe and fashion it to spec.Image . He said that he made it in 1983 at the back of Mainline cycles in the Melbourne suburb of Chelsea... WOW , how cool is it to have this info delivered by its maker. But it hung around in my shed for years as a repainted blue ( badly! ) ,8sp brifted roadie.
Until Nov 2013, I was going to a wedding in QLD and at the airport bought a copy of ride magazine in which there's a retro section , and blow me down if it wasn't about a bike Peter Campbell made for Dave Allen to go on and win the 1982 Melbourne to Warrnambool. Great article and it got me fired up to do justice to this great frame with such provenance. After toying with the idea of chroming ( to expensive ) painting ( probably choose the wrong colour) I decided to fully expose the craftsmanship of the frame builder and go naked, exposing the braising and steel, just waxed to protect. Its no concourse job and quite the mix of parts but all from the era. Image[/url[URL=http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/burties5/media/DSC00198_zpsbe0b1cf3.jpg.html]Image[/url[URL=http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/burties5/media/DSC00194_zpscc74a113.jpg.html]Image[/url[URL=http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/burties5/media/Silver4_zpsda87525c.jpg.html]Image
Yes they are champagne corks in the handlebar ends, a bit of fun. And yes I have installed what I like to call a seat saver or a kickstand if you like, great invention that!
Last edited by BurtO on Mon May 26, 2014 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
BurtO

Postby PatrickB » Sun May 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Great story mate.
PatrickB

Postby redrover3 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:28 pm

Looks good.
How well does the wax protect it?
Tony
redrover3

Postby BurtO » Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 am

Hard to say how well the wax protects as the bike lives inside and will probably never be ridden in the rain but so far so good.
Its something I will have to keep reapplying but it gave me the finish I was after and feels so nice on the frame not to mention how good the canuba wax smells whilst applying!
BurtO

Postby utedeej » Thu May 29, 2014 5:39 pm

Kerry Hopkins 853 fillet brazed, was originally made for the owner of ABC Bikes Campbelltown, who I bought it off at the clasic bike show this year. Has a full DA 9 speed groupset. Recently picked up the DA 7403 hubbed wheels that are on it now. Needs a good clean and tune and will hopefully get a spin this weekend. Has a loooong top tube and Syncros stem. Will put a shorter stem on soon.

It is beautifully made.....

utedeej

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu May 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Very very nice. I would love an 853 fillet brazed frame.
singlespeedscott

Postby utedeej » Thu May 29, 2014 5:56 pm

I can't wait to ride it. You know when you pick a bike up by the top tube and it just feels quality... that is what this feels like.
utedeej

Postby landyacht » Fri May 30, 2014 10:41 pm

does fillet brazed mean that theres no lugs, just tube brazed to tube ????
landyacht

Postby vaeske » Fri May 30, 2014 10:44 pm

DJ, you didn't by any chance also pickup a moser this morning too? there's been quite a few kerry hopkins going around. nice pickup.
vaeske

Postby utedeej » Sat May 31, 2014 7:53 am

landyacht wrote:does fillet brazed mean that theres no lugs, just tube brazed to tube ????

Yes, there are no lugs. Where the tubes join is smooth and the just flow into each other, as they have been brazed together and filled to make a smooth transition.
utedeej

Postby utedeej » Sat May 31, 2014 7:55 am

vaeske wrote:DJ, you didn't by any chance also pickup a moser this morning too? there's been quite a few kerry hopkins going around. nice pickup.

No I didnt pick up a Moser, was it the Leader down here. Seemed an ok price though.
utedeej

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:13 pm

My Tom Wallace Special, before and after. I picked her up from a scrap metal pile at the tip about 4 years ago and initially commuted with a singlespeed setup for a bit before doing a proper respray which turned her into a bit of a trailer queen. I don't think i actually ever rode her at all after the 2nd restoration, but for this weekend's steam train race from Warwick to Goondiwindi i've returned to the original 1x5 setup. Huret Svelto on a 14-24 Maillard freewheel and 52t Takagi cranks (off an 80s Malvern Star, but they suit the look very well). Rides beautifully :)

When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby landyacht » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:49 pm

utedeej wrote:
landyacht wrote:does fillet brazed mean that theres no lugs, just tube brazed to tube ????

Yes, there are no lugs. Where the tubes join is smooth and the just flow into each other, as they have been brazed together and filled to make a smooth transition.

there was me thinking I was bodging a tandem togeteher and i was actually building a filleted special :D :D
landyacht

PreviousNext

Return to Retro biking