My aussie vintage cycles website

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

My aussie vintage cycles website

Postby silverlight » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:25 pm

In my spare time (which i dont have much these days) i have gathered some information of makers of bikes, cyclists and within my collection of bike stuff i have put together a website to form an aussie vintage cycling website
The website is by no means complete and I have lots and lots more information to be added of images and content of cyclists, bikes etc. and also other states of oz
My research has been based on books i have, internet readings, passed down stories from riders, personal interviews and my personal collections.
Im welcome to comments, criticism to make it a better one stop for those seeking information, colored images of riders and my bikes shortly to be added with more items for sale and also rare collectable items to be added into the collectables section. I extremely loved doing the profiles of the riders, their feats stand amazing for their time especially Dean Whitehorn.
It will be kept very limited to racing bikes only, no tourers, roadsters, etc.
As you navigate through it Im hoping for contributions from others of racing bikes and makers, cyclists etc.

Stay tuned for Keith Thurgoods actual racing bike and also an untouched Dean Toseland bike which is believed his very own.

http://www.aussievelos.net

As mentioned website not complete but take a look and I will add reguarly new content as i find time,

cheers
SL
silverlight

by BNA » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:18 pm

BNA

Re: My aussie vintage cycles website

Postby utedeej » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Looks nice, good luck with it. I can't even find time to fix up the bikes that i want to do!
utedeej

Postby GaryF » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:18 pm

I just had a good look at your new website and I must say that it looks impressive. I think it will prove to be a useful resource especially for guys wanting South Aust. information. I do like the newspaper section; I have a rather large file of newspaper and magazine photocopies that I have used on many occasions. Well done on such a big and useful undertaking.
GaryF

Postby RichoVonBlack77 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Very nice, my compliments, should be an interesting site mate.
RichoVonBlack77

Postby amrjon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Nice work. Well done.

Feel free to use info I gathered about Ted Easton if it suits your purposes.
He fits both your categories.

http://ajsblogcycle.blogspot.com.au/201 ... cling.html
amrjon

Postby scratchman » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:57 pm

bookmarked ! great initiative, will check back regularly, love to see something on my hero
Aussie champion Russell Mockridge.
again, well done SL
Cheers, Phil
scratchman

Postby jhea57 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:48 am

nice site and well worth collecting this information.
its hard to find information relating to this time period.
cycling back then was more about track cycling and every town/city/suburb had a cycle club and local velodrome with weekend racing.

you might be able to help me with a query
I recently bought an old track bike that was made in 54 by Jack Rogers in Wagga under the "Super Star" brand. I suspect he made his own frames and bikes and the brand was a play on the popular brands of the time (ie Super Elliot and Malvern Star)
The frame is beautiful and well made. I also have the orginal wheels (Harden high flange hubs with weinmann wood-filled rims) and rams head style handlebars as well. The guy who had it made raced it thru the 50/60/70s. He had the frame painted in the 70's but I would like to see if I can find some photos of this brand on bikes so I can get it re-painted in orginial decals/style etc.

On another note, I have a collection of old mags "The Australian Cyclist" from 1948 to 1960 so if anyone is after information of the period let me know.
thanks
John
jhea57

Postby silverlight » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:58 pm

thanks all
Uploading the data is a breeze but the data gathering is very time consuming, its really about getting the correct information and documenting it so if anyone queries it i can back it up,
There really is a lot of miss guided information out there, however its proving exciting and rewarding along the way.
yes magazines and newspapers provide invaluable information,

Scrachman : Yes, Patterson, Mockridge, Opperman are currently in progress, no site would be without Australia's best, stay tuned.

Amrjon: Will contact you shortly in relation to Ted Easton, exactly whats needed

Jhea57: Its not a brand im familiar of, hopefully something will come up along the way which will link together.

More soon
silverlight

Postby Johnj » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:26 pm

silverlight wrote:thanks all
Uploading the data is a breeze but the data gathering is very time consuming, its really about getting the correct information and documenting it so if anyone queries it i can back it up,
There really is a lot of miss guided information out there, however its proving exciting and rewarding along the way.

I'm happy to contribute and you're welcome to use anything I've already posted here on racing, manufacturing etc as well as my specific research on Speedwell, Bol D'or, Alcon, Blackbird, Maxwell, VEW et al. I'm still working on updating my Sydney bicycle manufacturers list from the 1930s into the 1970s, so I've got some unpublished material to call on. Obviously there's a NSW (particularly Sydney) bias in what I've got.

I'm curious about your definition of "racing bicycles". Are you going to include semi-racers or club racers? If not, there's going to be a lot of disappointed 5-Star owners....
Johnj

Postby silverlight » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:50 pm

Hi All
I have finally put up some of my bikes on the site,
Not many at the moment but will upload a few more hopefully by the weekend, I haven't had time to put up a write up of each bike so thats next as well.
Some have already been seen before and soem needed that final touch.

http://aussievelos.net/gallery/gallery-of-bikes/

As always i welcome comments
SL
silverlight

Return to Retro biking