Shall I?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Shall I?

Postby simonn » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:24 pm

Below was our family transport in the Late 70s/very early 1980 in the UK. That's a 5 year old me at the back. My 4 year old brother sitting next to me but obscured by my mum. Picture was in our local paper covering a peace demo, god damn hippies!

*** SEE uMP2k's post BELOW FOR PICTURE ***

My mum still has the trike (it is yellow BTW) in the garage back in the UK and has been thinking of getting rid of it when she comes to live here (this year hopefully).

Shall I ship it out here instead? Childhood memories... sniff...

There were only three of them made IIRC. Not knowing much about modern bikes let alone obscure vintage trikes, what would I need to know to be able to maintain it/fix it up if I did? I am sure my mum would be able/happy to take detailed photos given a good enough description.

Probably not much fun to ride in Sydney, but could be entertaining every now and then, especially if/when we get around to having kids. How strong are the winch-your-bike-to-the-ceiling type storage methods?
Last edited by simonn on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonn

by BNA » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:34 pm

BNA

Postby rustychisel » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:34 pm

O! M! G!

bloody peaceniks holding up the traffic!!!! It'd be just the biz for a Critical Mass, I suppose. Strap a whopping big sound system on it and away you go.
rustychisel

Re: Shall I?

Postby uMP2k » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:42 pm

simonn wrote:Below was our family transport in the Late 70s/very early 1980 in the UK. That's a 5 year old me at the back. My 4 year old brother sitting next to me but obscured by my mum. Picture was in our local paper covering a peace demo, god damn hippies!

h t t p : / / snaunton.dyndns.org / Trike.jpg (I can't post images or URLs at the moment, so if an admin or user who can post images could post the image on this thread for me it would be appreciated).

I can help with that...

simonn wrote:My mum still has the trike (it is yellow BTW) in the garage back in the UK and has been thinking of getting rid of it when she comes to live here (this year hopefully).

Shall I ship it out here instead? Childhood memories... sniff...

There were only three of them made IIRC. Not knowing much about modern bikes let alone obscure vintage trikes, what would I need to know to be able to maintain it/fix it up if I did? I am sure my mum would be able/happy to take detailed photos given a good enough description.

Probably not much fun to ride in Sydney, but could be entertaining every now and then, especially if/when we get around to having kids. How strong are the winch-your-bike-to-the-ceiling type storage methods?

You know the answer to this - of course you should ship it here...!
uMP2k

Postby simonn » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:57 pm

I want to ship it out here, but I am thinking of practicalities like where to store it. We have a largish single garage with "mezzanine" storage, but it obviously will not fit alongside the car. It will definitely not fit in a two be unit!

I have heard of winch based systems to store bikes above people level. Anyone know anything about them?

Also, what about parts? What should I be looking at? I remember it having a gearing system (3 speed) which was changed like a motorbike, i.e. by twisting the hand grip. I think the actual gears were internal gears as well.
simonn

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:10 pm

Wish I could get the pic... :roll:

Bring it over Simonn :D
Dunno about a commercial winch system, but MacGyver is always there to help craft some rope and bits into a simple hoist :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby simonn » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:17 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Wish I could get the pic... :roll:

Whoops... thought the forums stored it. It is back up now.
simonn

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:21 pm

Thanks Simonn :D

Now I've seen it, change my post to "You MUST bring it over" Way too much history there to lose.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:17 pm

Just get your Mum to leave it for the hard rubbish collection - Karen will find it and bring it out for you! :D
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks
LuckyPierre

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:34 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:Just get your Mum to leave it for the hard rubbish collection - Karen will find it and bring it out for you! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby cludence » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:38 pm

Yes I have my investigators scouring garages in the UK right now.

That bike is great. Ship it out and I'll store it for you. :wink:
cludence

Return to Retro biking