Road Bike I.D

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Road Bike I.D

Postby MPM » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi all,

Just got a new road bike but it has had a re-spray so I can't I.D it

Serial number number starts with the letters MOM so maybe someone out there may know which company used these letters.

It came with a near full (missing head set) 600 Arabesque group if that helps.

Will take some pics if the MOM serial isn't enough.

Cheers,

Phil
MPM

by BNA » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:46 pm

BNA

Re: Road Bike I.D

Postby rogerrabbit » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:46 pm

It is likely a Centurion, the O is actually a zero. The serial number format is M, 0 for 1980, and M is a fortnight code, being the 14th fortnight, there should be 5 or 6 numbers or so after the second letter.

Some pics would be great. I am a bit of a Centurion buff. They made some real junk, all the way through to some very nice hand made racing frames. The higher end models were often fully chrome under the paint. Pics of the seat lugs and front lugs/forks will be enough to identify the model. Also, what size seat post does it take?

Roger
rogerrabbit

Postby MPM » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:26 am

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply.

I have some photos but am short on posts to post them up here.

Will get you the seatpost size. It had a fluted Sugino in there which was cool.

Cheers again,

Phil
MPM

Postby MPM » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:38 am

In the meantime, I have noticed that where the rear stays join the seat tube they are fluted (I suppose would be the word to describe it) for around two inches or so.

Cheers

Phil
MPM

Postby grantw » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:09 am

I think I have one too, the serial number is M3M 01822 stamped on the BB. It came to me with a suntour symmetric downtube shifter and Shimano arabesque brakes and ders, nitto stem and a too small seat post. No head badge or other markings on it though so I have been wondering what it could be. Looking on the web I'm guessing it might be a pro tour model but happy to be corrected.

The frame is quite nice, no lightweight, but well put together, and has a lovely sloping forkcrown.

I built it up with some 700c wheels and diacompe long reach brakes and did a few brevets on it but lately have been thinking about restoring it to its former glory.

17052008(001) by _granty, on Flickr
grantw

Postby TopSide » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:05 am

grantw wrote:I think I have one too, the serial number is M3M 01822 stamped on the BB.

Hi Grant,

took a look at your pics. From the pics and serial number the frame is from Miki of Sakai Japan.

Several brands sold Miki frames. Centurion is one possibility, also Bennett Sebring, Hallmark Steed, Graecross Constellation.
TopSide

Return to Retro biking