Painting Fancy Lugwork

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:27 pm

GaryF wrote:
wurtulla wabbit wrote: The red and green below look but that blue one is as rough as a badgers arse ! :D



Hi wurtulla wabbit,

I must comment on your comment about my bike and its paint job. At no time did I ask for your opinion re the paint job. In fact, this thread, started by old al, was asking for other forum members' personal experience painting lugs. I have that experience as I have painted quite a few bikes and I was giving him a quick rundown about my method of painting lugs. I was not putting my bike up as a prime example of frame painting technique. I also read how you have never painted a bike and could add little to old al's question.

I think you have missed the point of this particular forum. This forum attracts people interested in retro biking and is a very supportive and encouraging environment - always has been - always will be.

You are entitled to your own personal opinions about other forum members bikes and their interests and experiences but personal values are rarely written down unless they are asked for by the person initiating the thread.

I think you need to ask yourself if this type of supportive environment is for you or would your more negative responses be at home in other forums.


I love retro bikes mate, I own a 30yr old fully restored Harold master, perfect condition and whilst I admire your "having a go" (at my comment and your frame lug painting) I would suggest you develop a sense of humour (really sensitive) as I was just yanking your chain.

Edit. It's a public forum and as far as I have experienced in numerous other public forums, if you don't want opinions , don't post photos as they'll be subjective and not always the expected pat on the back.
Iif you think its good, you also need your eyes tested,it is rough but hey, go for your life !
User avatar
wurtulla wabbit
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:08 pm

by BNA » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:00 pm

BNA
 

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby amrjon » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:00 pm

Grog wrote:Back on topic.... Can anyone add light rearding how do you stop bleeding under the masking? Is it just a matter of using the right masking material or is there more to it?


I've used a fine poly tape the doesn't bleed. It's an auto finishing flexible tape. About 3mm wide, green. You can get it from supercheap.

I used it to do this lining

Image
Image
User avatar
amrjon
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:07 am

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby GaryF » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:21 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:
GaryF wrote:
wurtulla wabbit wrote: The red and green below look but that blue one is as rough as a badgers arse ! :D



Hi wurtulla wabbit,

I must comment on your comment about my bike and its paint job. At no time did I ask for your opinion re the paint job. In fact, this thread, started by old al, was asking for other forum members' personal experience painting lugs. I have that experience as I have painted quite a few bikes and I was giving him a quick rundown about my method of painting lugs. I was not putting my bike up as a prime example of frame painting technique. I also read how you have never painted a bike and could add little to old al's question.

I think you have missed the point of this particular forum. This forum attracts people interested in retro biking and is a very supportive and encouraging environment - always has been - always will be.

You are entitled to your own personal opinions about other forum members bikes and their interests and experiences but personal values are rarely written down unless they are asked for by the person initiating the thread.

I think you need to ask yourself if this type of supportive environment is for you or would your more negative responses be at home in other forums.


I love retro bikes mate, I own a 30yr old fully restored Harold master, perfect condition and whilst I admire your "having a go" (at my comment and your frame lug painting) I would suggest you develop a sense of humour (really sensitive) as I was just yanking your chain.

Edit. It's a public forum and as far as I have experienced in numerous other public forums, if you don't want opinions , don't post photos as they'll be subjective and not always the expected pat on the back.
Iif you think its good, you also need your eyes tested,it is rough but hey, go for your life !


OK wurtulla wabbit, where can I see a photo of your Harold Master? 30 years old you say? That's my era of interest. I have never seen nor heard of a Harold Master so I'm guessing it's British and probably a small builder specializing in made-to-measure bikes. Some of those British bikes of that era are quite something. Sounds fascinating.
User avatar
GaryF
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:38 am
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland.

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Sorry mate, damn iPad spell checker.
Haro master, its an 80's BMX.
I'll get some pics if you're still interested.
User avatar
wurtulla wabbit
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby GaryF » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:12 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:Sorry mate, damn iPad spell checker.
Haro master, its an 80's BMX.
I'll get some pics if you're still interested.


I'm not really into BMX but, being an old school teacher, I have had quite a few students, over the years, that have shown me their cherished bikes. I recall one student from 1986, who showed me his trick bike and it was beautiful. He could do anything on it and it was in tip-top condition with double laces wheels and chrome tubes. Every bearing was adjusted perfectly. What a wonderful bike. I think it was a Haro from memory.

I visited him at his home about 6 months ago and he still has the frame and a few parts in storage. He is now into Harley Davidson's but he plans to put his BMX back together one day.

Yes, I would love to see your Haro Master. Perhaps in a new thread so we're not hijacking old al's thread (as we have been doing - sorry old al).
Last edited by GaryF on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
GaryF
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:38 am
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland.

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:25 pm

Getting a bit off topic but that reminds me of a story from Pushies Galore this year, a young bloke of 10 or thereabouts was showing his BMX which he proudly stated was '20 years older than me!' Awww :) .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6389
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby GaryF » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:39 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Getting a bit off topic but that reminds me of a story from Pushies Galore this year, a young bloke of 10 or thereabouts was showing his BMX which he proudly stated was '20 years older than me!' Awww :) .


Yeah - that must be right. BMX must be getting a bit 'vintage' by now. Who would have thought.
User avatar
GaryF
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:38 am
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland.

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Haha, yeah yeah, I didn't realize they had to be THAT old ! :D
Bikes a mid 80's, considered old skool bmx bu they, I am only 40. :D
User avatar
wurtulla wabbit
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby Grog » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:52 pm

amrjon wrote:I've used a fine poly tape the doesn't bleed. It's an auto finishing flexible tape. About 3mm wide, green. You can get it from supercheap.
Many thanks for the tip. And that pinstriping is sensational!
Greg
User avatar
Grog
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:35 pm

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby GaryF » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 am

Grog wrote:
amrjon wrote:I've used a fine poly tape the doesn't bleed. It's an auto finishing flexible tape. About 3mm wide, green. You can get it from supercheap.
Many thanks for the tip. And that pinstriping is sensational!
Greg

+1 - sensational!!! Much more accurate than a brush.
User avatar
GaryF
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:38 am
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland.

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby damhooligan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:07 pm

some advice, dont do a llewellyn frame .. :shock:

I just finished one, and it took me more then 40 hours to finish this one...
Image

there are more pics, for those that want more, they are taken by someone with more camera experience then me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baudman/se ... 127293270/
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
User avatar
damhooligan
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: melbourne

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby rkelsen » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Nice work Johan. 8)
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4289
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby amrjon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:20 am

Very very nice.
User avatar
amrjon
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:07 am

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby find_bruce » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:26 am

damhooligan wrote:some advice, dont do a llewellyn frame .. :shock:

I just finished one, and it took me more then 40 hours to finish this one...

The amount of fancy lug work, the skill & care of the paint job, it is easy to see where the time went Johan.

The conversation about price must have been interesting. I thought about what would be a fair rate per hour & multiplied that by 40 & my mind went pop, even if you only charged 1/2 that
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby Mustang » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:55 am

damhooligan wrote:some advice, dont do a llewellyn frame .. :shock:

I just finished one, and it took me more then 40 hours to finish this one...
Image

there are more pics, for those that want more, they are taken by someone with more camera experience then me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baudman/se ... 127293270/

Sensational :D :D :D
Image
User avatar
Mustang
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:20 am
Location: Little Mountain Q

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby damhooligan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:02 pm

find_bruce wrote:
damhooligan wrote:some advice, dont do a llewellyn frame .. :shock:

I just finished one, and it took me more then 40 hours to finish this one...

The amount of fancy lug work, the skill & care of the paint job, it is easy to see where the time went Johan.

The conversation about price must have been interesting. I thought about what would be a fair rate per hour & multiplied that by 40 & my mind went pop, even if you only charged 1/2 that


Well ....
I anticipated a lot less hours... not having done a llewellyn before..
So i didnt charge the full 40 hours...
I am to blame for that.. so lesson learnt....
But money aside.. it was rewarding to work at such a beatifull frame.
The quality of that frame is absolutely amazing.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
User avatar
damhooligan
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: melbourne

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby damhooligan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Mustang wrote:
damhooligan wrote:some advice, dont do a llewellyn frame .. :shock:

I just finished one, and it took me more then 40 hours to finish this one.

there are more pics, for those that want more, they are taken by someone with more camera experience then me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baudman/se ... 127293270/

Sensational :D :D :D


Thanks
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
User avatar
damhooligan
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: melbourne

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby damhooligan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:04 pm

rkelsen wrote:Nice work Johan. 8)


Thanks
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
User avatar
damhooligan
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: melbourne

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby damhooligan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:05 pm

amrjon wrote:Very very nice.

Thanks
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
User avatar
damhooligan
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: melbourne

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby Wazza » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Fantastic!
Wazza
Wazza
Image
Mont Ventoux 2014 - Must train hard
Wazza
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:22 pm
Location: Clontarf, Qld

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby damhooligan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Wazza wrote:Fantastic!
Wazza


Thank you
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
User avatar
damhooligan
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: melbourne

Previous

Return to Retro biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 5antos, Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot]



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter