Columbus decals - image source

HappyHumber

Re: Columbus decals - image source

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:40 am

Nikolai wrote:Gimp only supports its native file format, for everything else it needs a plugin. Ghostscript might be it for eps but you better google it.
Ghostscript rings a bell. The last time I played with PostScript, it was more exclusively a Mac thing... back in the days... System 7.5 or thereabouts. I think it was because we had networked Apple LaserWriters being used by Windoze 3.x machines.

oh dear... I think you've set off the PTSD incurred from my IT days... *shudder*quiver*... Mummy!!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:45 pm

Well, if you want to use free (os) software with vector images, Gimp shouldn't be anywhere at the top of a list :)

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:56 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Just fiddling about with a couple of *.ai & *.eps files with Open Source software, Inkscape & Gimp specifically.

Are EPS files scalable at all in some software? GIMP just seems to open them as a converted or dithered down raster image, depending on the import parameters you chose.
I'm not full bottle on the opensource alternatives to Adobe's Creative Suite but I beleive GIMP is for raster images (Photoshop) and Inkscape for vector (Illustrator). Give it a crack on the .eps files: http://www.inkscape.org/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:12 pm

I built mine (on the previous pages) in Inkscape. I can send you a file if you want?

Jim

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:16 pm

familyguy wrote:I built mine (on the previous pages) in Inkscape. I can send you a file if you want?
Jim
Thanks Jim for the offer. Just recently started some casual pfaffing around with Inkscape. I'd like to be able to get to the stage of importing bit maps and tracing shapes with the bezier tools and such to produce readily scalable output files - probably SVG. I'm also learning AutoCAD at the same time, so I'm sort of to'ing and fro'ing with new concepts between the packages. Sometimes my head has a segmentation core fault and I have to go and get greasy instead down the shed for a while as therapy.

There's a couple of what I shall call "long loved & trusted" logos I've been meaning to desecrate for years with a couple of ideas :twisted:
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.