Broke my frame :(

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Broke my frame :(

Postby Discodan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:36 pm

On my commute home today I've managed to snap my drive side chainstay on the Malvern Star, not happy Jan. It's a clean break just where the dropout joins the stay so it might be repairable so I wanted to tap into the collective knowledge about such repairs or to scout around and see if anyone has a replacement frame they might want to sell.

The bike's a Malvern Star Equipe from the early 90's I'm guessing. It's a good bike with 531 tubing and 105 6 sp (including Biopace!) running gear. I bought it on ebay just because but it's now my favourite bike and does a lot of km for me. I was about to treat it to a new 2 x 10 groupset and wheels for Christmas as well as a pain touch up so it's a real bugger losing it.

So:
- can these things be repaired economically and to a decent level or am I better off just getting another frame?
- if the latter, does anyone want to sell a frame to suit a 6'1" rider that's decent quality and maybe a bit interesting?

thanks in mourning
d

Discodan

by BNA » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:59 pm

BNA

Re: Broke my frame :(

Postby xcx » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Where are you located? I have a frame and a bike your size that I am looking to sell.
xcx

Postby jonbays » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:01 pm

Well good and bad news. These old frames can be repaired BUt it's not economic to do so. Another decent second hand frame would cost less. I had a very nice old Raleigh carlton built with the CC cutouts in the BB which needed a new downtube and although it could be done for $500 plus the repaint so it was easier to buy another complete old Raleigh professional.
jonbays

Postby Discodan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:10 am

I'm in Sydney, drop me a PM

xcx wrote:Where are you located? I have a frame and a bike your size that I am looking to sell.
Discodan

Return to Retro biking