ANY IDEAS?? I HAVE NO IDEA!!

tricycleboy

ANY IDEAS?? I HAVE NO IDEA!!

Postby tricycleboy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi,
I have recently purchased an old bicycle to start my new found hobby of doing up vintage bikes.
I dont have much experiance with bikes but i like to ride them and i like old things. so it seemed like a good hobby.
I want to restore this one back to its original condition, but dont know how old it is or what make.
the stickers were mostly worn off.
The no. on the chain stay is 10947.single speed and rear pedal brake
It's currently sanded all back and primed waiting to be painted appropriately
Any ideas of age, make and colour scheme would be great!
whats left of decal
i have more pictures of the decals and its current state im trying to get off my phone and will upload soon

GaryF

Re: ANY IDEAS?? I HAVE NO IDEA!!

Postby GaryF » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:35 am

I wouldn't be surprised if you're not looking at the original colour scheme now. It looks like some sort of roadster that was used to transport it's rider to work or school, etc. It would have been quicker than walking and more fun too. I would imagine it to be a bike of the 60's. I can see it with mudguards and a front brake as well.

I cannot place the decal you have shown but I thing someone else will be able to tell you about the decal.

BH74

Postby BH74 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi Tricycleboy, this looks very similar to my 1960's Malven Star skidstar. The serial number stamped into the drive side chainstay is in sequence for this too. Mine has Araya rims, Austral crank & seat, all made in Japan, and Super Comet model 161 rear coaster hub. I agree with GaryF on the original colour scheme. I'm sure if you search this forum for Skidstar you will find some other images, I cannot post any up here as yet. Enjoy your project!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:15 pm

I cant see the picture, as I am stil blind from all those shoutingly big letters... :shock:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

redrover3

Postby redrover3 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:27 pm

As soon as I saw that decal I thought '60s Speedwell. Can't be absolutely positive but I had one in the '70s- very similar pattern.
Tony