Colnago Appreciation Society

QuangVuong

Re: Colnago Appreciation Society

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:00 pm

Smithy78 wrote:No major dramas, although I am confused by the bottom bracket, as it is Italian threaded but took a 68mm spindle. When I put a 70mm in, the crank was too close to the chainstay plus the adjustable cup was sticking a long way out of the shell.
70mm and 68mm axles only differ in the length between the bearing races. Using an English axle in an Italian shell would mean that the adjustable cup sits 2mm further in that it should, which could mean there's not enough threads for the lockring. Its the actual axle length and taper you need to match to the crank. I think the Campag record cranks changed the BB lengths a few times over the years it was produced, but it should be a 113mm or 115mm ISO axle for the correct chainline.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Smithy78

Postby Smithy78 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:45 pm

QuangVuong wrote: 70mm and 68mm axles only differ in the length between the bearing races. Using an English axle in an Italian shell would mean that the adjustable cup sits 2mm further in that it should, which could mean there's not enough threads for the lockring. Its the actual axle length and taper you need to match to the crank. I think the Campag record cranks changed the BB lengths a few times over the years it was produced, but it should be a 113mm or 115mm ISO axle for the correct chainline.
I thought it may have been a compatibility issue with the crank, but with the 68mm spindle the adjustable cup and lock ring sit perfectly. I checked for the "correct" spindle on Velobase before I purchased the Italian one as well, to ensure I was getting the correct one for my crank.

Funny thing is that when I bought the frame, it already had this Italian cup / English spindle installed (thought it was just an ebay seller installing the incorrect spindle) and I believe it had a Campag crank installed previously (was following this bike on ebay for a while before the seller gave up trying to sell it as a complete bike and sold the frame only)

Ran the ruler across the shell, and it is definitely 68mm in width. Would this indicate that it had been machined back at some point in it's life?

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:55 pm

Yeah, sounds like someone has faced the shell down to 68mm. Gives you the option to run 68mm axles, but you lose the option of running 70mm axles. Odd :?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Aldavid

Postby Aldavid » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:53 am

Hi people, am new to the Colnago App Society but definately not new to the forum.
Pic attached is what I believe to be a Tecnos Art Decor. Always wanted a Colnago.
It is somewhere between Belgium and Aus as we speak.
Not sure of gruppo yet so will wait till I get the frame here first. So excited.
If you dont know where you are going...how will you know when you get there !

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:15 pm

Thought about 11 speed Potenza or Athena in silver? Looks beautiful in the silver variants. Or for slightly older Campy stuff an old Centaur/Daytona or Chorus group that's 9 or 10 speed would look great.

As for Shimano, I'd go with either 6500/6600 Ultegra or 7700/7800 Dura Ace - still pretty easy to find a group in good condition on eBay or in various for sale groups.

Aldavid

Postby Aldavid » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:58 pm

A fellow Tasmanian, how cool. Grew up in Sandy Bay. You are dead right, it will need a polished silver groupset.
I have a Campag Centaur 10sp here in silver. Also have a 9sp dura ace 10sp in silver.
Have a set of campag record hubs in mavics looking for a bike to go on. Have a complete 105 groupset also, but it is grey so probably wont match too well. Decisions Decisions but time will tell.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:34 pm

Lovely looking frame.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:26 pm

Hi Aldavid, I can appreciate your excitement as it's a lovely looking frame.

I have a Tecnos and its a quick frame to ride. I believe they were Colnago's lightest production steel frame and the early ones came with a rider weight restriction. I think the restriction was limited to 170lbs rider weight for the Tecnos frames made with Columbus EL/OS tubes (up to the year 2000). I'm well above the weight restriction and have had no issues as yet.

Aldavid

Postby Aldavid » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:24 am

Am only 65kg wringing wet so weight will not be an issue I hope.
Leaning towards a polished 10 sp silver ultegra groupset at the moment, mainly for compatability with its stable mates.
Cant wait.

Aldavid

Postby Aldavid » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:27 am

It arrived. Colnago Tecnos Competition Art Decor 2000 model, the last made.
Running Dura Ace for now.
Hope you like it. I sure do.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:23 am

Very nice. looks good with the white bar tape and saddle.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:33 pm

The ultimate colnago?

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/201727480390

Bring your cheque book.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:09 pm

Looks great. :D

mig25

Postby mig25 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi! I just purchased a steel colnago from my friend. Pics shown is its current setup but i just got the frameset.

I seek help if someone can help ID the frame. Have been trying to search for pics for reference whether it is a master or master piu and a possible year. The brake cable goes in to the frame on top. Any help will be much appreciated.

I plan a modern build on it and use it as a secondary bike.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:49 pm

^ Nice. What's your mate doing with all those crappy old components? :D

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Nice bike. I was under the impression that master, master pui etc all had the model name painted on. Not much help sorry - but it will make great looking bike which ever model it is.

Which of the tubes are star shaped?

pjy

Postby pjy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:33 am

Hi All,

I think I have the Colnago bug...
Started with an entry carbon bike - the ACE in matt black (yes I know - not a great colour but only one available at time). Quite nice for my style of riding and managed to compete a couple of AGFs on it :)

Then found a nice lavender coloured steel Colnago frame advertised as a Master later eighties, but more recently correctly identified as an ESA Mexico (has 6 crimps in tubing). Built up with Campy Chorus parts with newly built Mavic Open Pro wheels - very nice ride. Love the colour of this! Also have purchased ESA decals to install.

Next...
Just took ownership of a restored Master frame...

Gradually collecting parts - Record Titanium group set, Campy delta rims, 3TTT Ergo Due bars and honey Rolls saddle. About to start assembly :)

What next?

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:18 pm

Nice. That gold one will be something special.

pjy

Postby pjy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:53 pm

Finished this weekend - first ride very nice :)

apewearingclothes

Postby apewearingclothes » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:15 am

Hey All,

Could you guys suggest the best way to sell my late 80's colnago super/mast/mexico? See this story & subsquent posts for pics etc.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=58347&p=1261845#p1261845
Good project still waiting to happen. I don't ride anymore due to back issues, and she should be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,