munga

Re: Colnago Appreciation Society

Postby munga » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Dan wrote:

Joe H

Postby Joe H » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:22 am

Dan,

I have a soft spot for Colnagos in general and yours looks great! Nice build and I especially liked the upside down frame shots! If you get a chance, please post another shot once you get the white tape on. Even upside down if you like!

Joe

TDC

Postby TDC » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:40 am

Dan wrote:27.2 Scott. Could be anything. In any case, it seems pretty snappy, but I only gave it about 8 km today. Will give it a run into work tomorrow & report back. On the scout for a mini cowbell for the unexplained race number hanger.

Mr Walken, the Tange frames have 27.2 seatpost.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:44 pm

Dan wrote:thanks all :) Yes, white tape en route, and some veloflexes are on the long term list - had some maxxis gumwalls I shifted with another bike which I now wish I'd kept.
+ an aero campy seatpost that will be icing on the cake . 8)

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:41 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
Dan wrote:thanks all :) Yes, white tape en route, and some veloflexes are on the long term list - had some maxxis gumwalls I shifted with another bike which I now wish I'd kept.
+ an aero campy seatpost that will be icing on the cake . 8)
Aye, that it will :)

dayne

Postby dayne » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Nice Dan, I think gum walls might take away from the paint,
I think if it has wild paint it needs black tyres.

I put gum walls on my tommasini and it killed it yet n my plain llewellyn they look great.
Plus they are bloody expensive for a rider/comuter.

White saddle and tape would look nice

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:28 pm

dayne wrote:Nice Dan, I think gum walls might take away from the paint,
I think if it has wild paint it needs black tyres.

I put gum walls on my tommasini and it killed it yet n my plain llewellyn they look great.
Plus they are bloody expensive for a rider/comuter.

White saddle and tape would look nice
Hey Dayne,

Thanks! I actually have a white concor on the Kotter at the moment - I did test fit it on here (with a black post though) and it wasn't too flash, but am yet to try it with the silver post. Will see how it goes once the aero arrives from Dave. White tape shouldn't be too far off, either. Agree re: black tyres - for something that's getting a run every other day, gumwalls are a bit mad.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:47 pm

vajiggle jaggle. get some gumwalls. show some skin!

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:53 pm

munga wrote:vajiggle jaggle. get some gumwalls. show some skin!
Showin' Skin.

kef

Postby kef » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:32 pm

tripstobaltimore wrote:My eventually-to-be-built up master Olympic:

Untitled by tripstobaltimore, on Flickr

I'm thinking of going modern campag Athena (alloy of course). Had entertained thoughts of c-record, but would have to be NOS to match the frame :lol:
hi i bought an exact same frame as this one, 56cm, comes with fork and that's it.could give recommend some parts for a vintage build for this frame?
thinking put on campagnolos. got no clue about measurement...

kef

Postby kef » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:53 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
Mustang wrote:Check this out NOS & in Aus !
I could almost garantee that bike once belonged to me. Take note !!!!! 650c wheels which is why I sold it. Looked kind of cool & kind of weird with a twist of lime :?
hi i'm kinda sure that i bought this frame yesterday, is this 56cm frame suits me? i stand 185cm tall. i'm planning to build it as vintage as possible.any suggestions with parts? thinking to put on campagnolo as much as i can. can u explain why u sold this frame? it looks amazing but i really want to make the most out of it. is 650 wheels too big or not right for this bike?

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:27 pm

kef wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:
I could almost garantee that bike once belonged to me. Take note !!!!! 650c wheels which is why I sold it. Looked kind of cool & kind of weird with a twist of lime :?
hi i'm kinda sure that i bought this frame yesterday, is this 56cm frame suits me? i stand 185cm tall. i'm planning to build it as vintage as possible.any suggestions with parts? thinking to put on campagnolo as much as i can. can u explain why u sold this frame? it looks amazing but i really want to make the most out of it. is 650 wheels too big or not right for this bike?
650 will rock.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:29 am

kef wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:
Yeah you bought that bike off of me (so IT is that exact frame - and I got it originally from ZepinAtor, added the headset and biodynamica). I was planning on building it up with NOS C-record to match the frame, but I needed the money (wedding/strange desire to try cyclocross) and it was too small for me :(. I just wasn't going to be able to build it up and do it justice. It was my perfect colnago too (red with chrome lugs, in perfect condition.... sigh). The 650c wheels will give it a faster/more agile handling as far as I'm aware (never ridden one though, so just what I've heard).

Build options stick with Campagnolo, if you want to go correct period its the C-record era. Frame was made in the approximate range '92-'94. They made the olympics for the 92 olympics, but the IOC kicked up a fuss with Colnago using the "olympic" trade mark, so it was only a brief run. Apparently they still churned them out for a year or two after haha. If you want to match C-record NOS stuff you'll be up for some big $$$ (People are asking 1200-1500 for complete groupsets on eBay). The step below is Croce D'Aune I believe, but this also fetches quite high prices on eBay. I have some parts (not a complete group) if you are interested, but they are in used condition and would therefore not do the frame justice IMHO. The other option is to go modern campag, alloy Athena would look great, or do super record :D

If you've got any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

kef

Postby kef » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Lol....great history behind the frame. The first time I touched this frame I was a vehicle spray painter about 3 years ago. Helping a guy to restore the frame, then I saw those crazy art works on this frame and totally obsessed of it. Until I found you selling this amazing frame I gotta get it.lol..I'll look around for the NOS c record group set. Thx for the advise and the story of the bike. Looking forward to see this frame!

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:19 am

Piu Piu Mk. II in commuting guise. ;) Less than perfect photo though.

White Tape. Note to self - Deda $6 tape excellent for first wrap when setting ergo positions, etc. Crapola for real use. Note to self 2 - White tape gets dirty.

Athena aero post (thanks Dave). Settling into this now - strongly considering taking it on the CCIA ride next week instead of the Kotter.

sunho

Postby sunho » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:23 am

snazzy fizzle, looking sharp.
A few baby wipes on the handlebar will do wonders, give it a go, i know you got plenty ;)

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:25 am

sunho wrote:A few baby wipes on the handlebar will do wonders, give it a go, i know you got plenty ;)
You know, you'd think I'da thunka that - will give it a blast.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:43 am

Dan wrote:Piu Piu Mk. II in commuting guise. ;) Less than perfect photo though.

White Tape. Note to self - Deda $6 tape excellent for first wrap when setting ergo positions, etc. Crapola for real use. Note to self 2 - White tape gets dirty.

Athena aero post (thanks Dave). Settling into this now - strongly considering taking it on the CCIA ride next week instead of the Kotter.

Looks tha goods tiger :wink:

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Dan wrote:
sunho wrote:A few baby wipes on the handlebar will do wonders, give it a go, i know you got plenty ;)
You know, you'd think I'da thunka that - will give it a blast.
Ive also had good success with general purpose surface cleaner (the natural friendly stuff). Gives it a nice smell too :D

floody

Postby floody » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:50 pm

I just bought this one, late 90s Classic (although probably too low end to be 'classic' in status!) with 9 speed Mirage/Record brifters. I will lose the mountainbike stem and horrid ergo bars asap, I think a nice 3TTT or Cinelli stem and some 64-42 Giro d'Italia bars would be ideal, maybe a Campagnolo aero seatpost to replace the Ritchey. Have since fitted some Gatorskins as the Veloflex Corsas were too skinny.

As I picked it up:

Changed tyres (rear bonty tyre was square, slung on some veloflex corsa 20s), flipped over the stem to suffice until I get the cockpit bits together:

Will get better pics when its more sorted.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Looks the goods floody :) I actually like the black post there.

floody

Postby floody » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:20 pm

Yeah its grown on me too, I just don't know if it will look a bit unbalanced with a silver bar/stem..and I think a black stem looks a bit dicky with the silver headset. I shouldn't split hairs aesthetically but I need to change the stem and bar out for fit preference so I might as well get the look correct.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:27 pm

Do what fits best :)

My 94 has black quill stem and alloy headset, which was a standard config at that time. I think black stems are rad :) Beauty of 1 1/8" steerer/stem is that if it shits you, you can just switch it out for a silver one. What bars are you changing to? Some Superitalias might be nice there - a 'little' bit ergo but still classic.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Floody your right about the Ergo's. They are hideous. Look God damn uncomfortable too.

floody

Postby floody » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:25 pm

Yeah they're just horrid. They have almost as much drop as the B123 Nitto track bars on my Petrus! I just want some sensible non-ergo 80s/90s style bars, quite like Cinelli Giro d'Italia which I have in 64-42 on my '96 Specialized M2 Pro; that with a 120mm Cinelli 1A or XA would be ideal I think, I am a fan of a sprinter type position with a fairly low and long cockpit even if I am a fat shunter its what I'm used to.