Peugeot Aubisque mini reBuild

nsuttie

Re: Peugeot Aubisque mini reBuild

Postby nsuttie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:01 am

Looks great mate, is this 27 inch wheels or 700c?

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:08 am

Looks pretty good. Nice job.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:30 pm

nsuttie wrote:Looks great mate, is this 27 inch wheels or 700c?

Thanks - 700c mate.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Well, the Aubisque went off to its new owner today - a good mate of mine who will greatly enjoy it as a part-time commuter. Sadly, after having ridden it a few times since the rebuild, I realised that it just wouldn't stretch out enough for me, despite the long stem and high seatpost, it was a little bit too cramped.

I know it will be looked after and will be used, so it is far better for that to occur, than simply have it hanging up in my shed. 8)

cheers

juzaam

Postby juzaam » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:07 am

Hello my friend,
congratulations on your beautiful work.

I have the exact same bike in blue and I actually bought her in blue.
Could you give me some hints since I am new in the repairing hobbies. What do I use to remove the pedals and the central movement in this type of old bike?

Thanks!

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:19 pm

G'day mate. You'll need a 14mm pedal wrench to take the pedals off. To remove the freeplay in the crank itself may require a bottom bracket replacement or rebuild. I never actually touched mine as it was okay.

cheers and good luck!

RAYZOR

Postby RAYZOR » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:53 am

G'day,
I've recently purchased an Aubisque, exactly like the one macca33 has, so I'm assuming it is also a 1989 model. I'm looking to restore it. I was in the process of buying a new rear wheel online for it when I noticed it had a 27" wheel on the back. 700c on the front. That cant be right, can it? So I bought a 700c screw on rear wheel. Please, someone tell me I haven't stuffed up!
I'd put up some photos, but I'm buggered if I know how. (yeah, yeah something about photo bucket, forum posting photos thread, blah,blah).

Thanks for any help on this,

Cheers,
RAYZOR

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 am

RAYZOR wrote:G'day,
I've recently purchased an Aubisque, exactly like the one macca33 has, so I'm assuming it is also a 1989 model. I'm looking to restore it. I was in the process of buying a new rear wheel online for it when I noticed it had a 27" wheel on the back. 700c on the front. That cant be right, can it? So I bought a 700c screw on rear wheel. Please, someone tell me I haven't stuffed up!
I'd put up some photos, but I'm buggered if I know how. (yeah, yeah something about photo bucket, forum posting photos thread, blah,blah).

Cheers,
RAYZOR
700c will give you more tire options. You'll be right, as long as your brake pads reach the rim.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

RAYZOR

Postby RAYZOR » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:03 am

minhyy wrote:
RAYZOR wrote:G'day,

Cheers,
RAYZOR
700c will give you more tire options. You'll be right, as long as your brake pads reach the rim.
Thanks, minhyy. I appreciate your help.

RAYZOR

Postby RAYZOR » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:26 pm

Here's my Aubisque

RAYZOR

Postby RAYZOR » Wed May 03, 2017 3:38 am

Hey guys,

As you can see from the pic above, the chain rings on my Aubisque are black. What's the go with that, was it an 80s thing? The crank arms are Sakae SX. I put them in some solvent to help degrease them and all the black has come off. They're now a rusty colour, but I can rub them to bare metal. So, I suppose my questions are, would they be original? Should I just paint them, or replace them? . I'm not sold on the black chain rings, I think they look cheap. I like shiny bling! I've got an old set of shimano 600 laying about the place. What do you reckon?

Cheers,

Rayzor.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed May 03, 2017 6:49 am

RAYZOR wrote: I put them in some solvent to help degrease them and all the black has come off.
What was the solvent?
Parts that are black could be factory anodised which requires a specific chemical sodium hydroxide to remove the anodising.

If they are anodised there are many resources on the removal of the anodising ; do a search. One is here
I use a spray oven cleaner, just make sure it has sodium hydroxide as the active component. Look up the MSDS and check
eg http://www.pak-rite.com.au/documents/pr ... 267459.pdf
and use the correct gear, long sleeves, heavy duty gloves, safety glasses and do it outside in a well ventilated area.

Then you need to keep the parts polished.

As for posting photos, look at this youtube video where I attempt to describe the steps.

RAYZOR

Postby RAYZOR » Thu May 04, 2017 3:44 pm

What was the solvent?
I used oven cleaner. Mr Muscle with active ingredients, alkaline salts. My intention wasn't to strip the black off, but only to get all the built on muck and grease off.

As for posting photos, look at this youtube video where I attempt to describe the steps.
I'm sorted with posting photos. Using imgur seems to be doing the trick.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu May 04, 2017 3:51 pm

RAYZOR wrote:
What was the solvent?
I used oven cleaner. Mr Muscle with active ingredients, alkaline salts. My intention wasn't to strip the black off, but only to get all the built on muck and grease off.
and here I was expecting 'kerosene'.... no wonder the finish was affected.

RAYZOR

Postby RAYZOR » Thu May 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:
RAYZOR wrote:
What was the solvent?
and here I was expecting 'kerosene'.... no wonder the finish was affected.
Didn't you say you use oven cleaner? I'm not really worried about the finish coming off. My main point of thinking was, would these be original chain rings, should I paint them, or just stick the shimano 600 on it? Its not a high end bike, I just want it to ride and look nice.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu May 04, 2017 4:47 pm

Kero is what I use to degrease, oven cleaner with sodium hydroxide to remove anodising.
If you want nice polished aluminium finish then the oven cleaner then polish are the steps.

The way I read your post was that you used a solvent and it removed the black paint/anodised finish.

RAYZOR

Postby RAYZOR » Thu May 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:Kero is what I use to degrease, oven cleaner with sodium hydroxide to remove anodising.
If you want nice polished aluminium finish then the oven cleaner then polish are the steps.

The way I read your post was that you used a solvent and it removed the black paint/anodised finish.
Oh, what you must think of me :oops: . I should have used kero to de-grease. Oh well, live and learn. Its done now.
Thanks.