Date & authenticate Malvern Star 2*

possum-magic

Re: Date & authenticate Malvern Star 2*

Postby possum-magic » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:41 pm

L'iota wrote:G'day Possum-magic.
Nice find. The rubber handlebar grips are not the original. They are pieces cut from a WWII gas mask. It was the hose that connected the face mask with the tin cannister containing the charcoal filter material. After the war (from 1945 to 1950) most materials, especially rubber was in short supply being mostly used for moer vital uses than bike bits. The gas mask hoses were very commonly used for handlebar grips as they fitted the bar diameter and gas masks were now redundant and therefore plentiful. The bike I first learnt to ride on had these grips.
Regards
L'iota
Brilliant! Thanks for the info :D

peteGS

Re: Date & authenticate Malvern Star 2*

Postby peteGS » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:40 am

possum-magic wrote:I'm not sure to be honest. I have seen another old Malvern Star around the traps here with the same rim colour scheme, so either one of the local bike dealers of the time was customising them like this, or they came standard in this colour. I've checked out the rims and they certainly weren't chromed underneath the paint. The inside of the rims (where the rim tape goes) is all painted white.

On the topic of rims and tyre sizes, I'm going loopy trying to establish what size tyres to buy as replacements for the clapped out old ones. The old ones are marked 28 x 1 3/8, which I understand was a common wheel size in Australia years ago. From what I can gather, this is equivalent to an ISO 37-642 (the old 700A). There are some sites that claim they'll take a 700C (ISO 622) tyre. I've not tried it yet.

Basically, I'm wanting to get some white walls if I can, but until I get to the bottom of the tyre size issue, can't go shopping!
Hmmm thanks for that... I might stick with my plan to paint them then :)

As for sizes, I've seen both 28 x 1 3/8 and 28 x 1 1/2 tyres available on eBay, and I'm pretty sure Warren said he can also sell them.

I have both size rims here to restore, and the 28 x 1/2 ones look like what's on yours there, but they're definitely wider than the 28 x 1 3/8 rims and they don't have a side wall as such that you could put a caliper type brake on. I just went and checked to be sure I'm not speaking out of my butt and you can just measure the width of the rim to be sure. Mine both measure 1 3/8 and 1 1/2 exactly.

Oh, and as for the mudguard mount length you gave me (360mm), mine are 370mm... so looks like the ladies bikes may have had a slightly longer rake...

Heath page

Re: I have a Malvern 2 star all original, 95584 , bsa under cranks and number on back lDate & authenticate Malvern Sta

Postby Heath page » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Have a Malvern star 2 serial number 95584, with bsa,, a8? On crankbearing case, serial number on back left fork, wondering what year it is?