Frank Paino Appreciation Society

grantw

Frank Paino Appreciation Society

Postby grantw » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:03 am

It appears that there are a few Frank Paino fans on the forum. Share your bikes here!

For starters here's mine;

DSC_0002_01 by _granty, on Flickr

DSC_0004_01 by _granty, on Flickr

DSC_0009 by _granty, on Flickr

WyvernRH

Re: Frank Paino Appreciation Society

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:53 am

What a good idea! I'll assemble some photos!
Cheers
Richard

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:22 pm

I haven't owned a Paino yet, but every one I've seen has been super nice. Is there any info on Frank anyone cares to add to this thread?

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Yes :) , good to have a clearinghouse of Paino information. There are many anecdotes but they're hard to track down. So the knowns I know are:

Frank built bikes using columbus tubing and campagnolo dropouts and cable guides
Custom cast seat stays with Paino forged in the shoulders
Fork crowns with a forged heart on the shoulder and P inside. Intricate tangs inboard
Slotted BB with Campy cable guides on top
Thinned lugs (varies but they blend into the tubing like he wanted them to melt)
Some bikes have hand stamped serial numbers on drive side of BB

Many Paino's had Campagnolo GS groups and Cinelli/3T Stems and bars ( stems often pantographed with Paino in a variety of fonts)

Had a shop in Miranda on the Kingsway during the 1980s
Also sold Ultima branded bikes (frames sourced elsewhere perhaps as they lack the touches of the Paino branded bikes and had Japanese components)

Frank's bikes had the Rainbow colours as he built a bike for Gary Sutton (see Justin's classic thread via rotorburn or if you prefer cycle exif, so I'm guessing he made a track bike or two as well

That's all I know for now :)

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:54 am

Found some photos of my Paino's, I have listed them in what I think is order of age oldest to newest from the build and the transfers. Talking of which, I have seen at least 5 variations of the Paino badge and script, not counting the 'Ultima' badge. There may be more.

My wife's Paino, a small touring frame, Probably Tange 5 with investment cast long point lugs. I reckon this one is quite early as the decals on the downtube are 'wraparound' one piece and the 'Paino' text in the badge is pretty chunky block text with a plain spade symbol, no cyclist.
My light Blue Paino, Tange investmant cast lugs and bottom bracket withTange dropouts. As light as a feather so probably top notch Tange tubing? An example of Mr Paino's worst quality paint jobs. Grey downtube decals, Paino is now script in the headbadge witrh a white cyclist in the spade.
My Dark Blue Paino, Columbus oversize tubing with Ritchey dropouts. Beautifully finished frame with an excellent paint job. White downtube decals but gold cyclist in head badge with Paino in script. Maybe one of the last frames made?

Paino paint jobs seem to vary from the sublime to total crap. Although the light blue bike is built beautifully the paint job is an instruction sheet on how not to paint a bike. The later, dark blue bike is perfect. This variation and shades of quality between seem to apply to most Painos I have seen.

From what bikes I've seen the shop at Miranda was like most frame shops in that within reason they built what the customer asked for. Also they built frames, not bikes. Often they would sell and fit the bits too (and very nice bits) but often the customer would fit whatever components they wanted or could afford, more often than not Japanese as time wore on.The Campag everything with pantographing was top of the range, the stuff I've seen ranges from panto'ed everything clad in Super Record via some bits panto'ed, only staytops with cast in 'Paino' , Paino in the fork crown only etc etc... many variations, as many as there were customers maybe :wink:
Cheers
Richard

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:34 am

Nice collection Richard!

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:16 pm

I'd heard that Frank was a pioneer or at least early adopter in Australia of using a lathe to mitre tubes, but I may have my wires crossed. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

matt1986

Postby matt1986 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:51 am

grantw wrote: Had a shop in Miranda on the Kingsway during the 1980s
Also sold Ultima branded bikes (frames sourced elsewhere perhaps as they lack the touches of the Paino branded bikes and had Japanese components)
Can anyone confirm that Ultima bikes were re-branded production bikes? I picked one up (for a friend) in original condition recently: Tange 2 tubing, Shimano 600 arabesque groupset, ambrosio wheels. A nice little machine. Even came with the original receipt from the Miranda Bicycle Centre, with what might well be Frank's signature at the bottom. $600 in 1985.

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:10 am

matt1986 wrote:
Can anyone confirm that Ultima bikes were re-branded production bikes? I picked one up (for a friend) in original condition recently: Tange 2 tubing, Shimano 600 arabesque groupset, ambrosio wheels. A nice little machine. Even came with the original receipt from the Miranda Bicycle Centre, with what might well be Frank's signature at the bottom. $600 in 1985.
As near as I can tell, the "Ultima" branding isn't so much a product, rather a generic sticker set used by a few different frame builders (Abeni used them too). The Paino bikes (like my Elan) use an "Ultima" sticker set, sometimes with a modifed head tube sticker. Mine has a tiny "elan" stuck over the "Ultima" underneath the spade symbol for example.

I'm not sure there is anything much in common with many of the bikes with Ultima stickers on them, other than at some point they went through a local frame shop. Mine (not, as far as I know, anything to do with Paino) hasn't got a serial number on it at all, which indicates to me it isn't a production bike in any conventional sense, but more likely a custom frame.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

matt1986

Postby matt1986 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:38 pm

drubie wrote:
matt1986 wrote:
As near as I can tell, the "Ultima" branding isn't so much a product, rather a generic sticker set used by a few different frame builders (Abeni used them too). The Paino bikes (like my Elan) use an "Ultima" sticker set, sometimes with a modifed head tube sticker. Mine has a tiny "elan" stuck over the "Ultima" underneath the spade symbol for example.

I'm not sure there is anything much in common with many of the bikes with Ultima stickers on them, other than at some point they went through a local frame shop. Mine (not, as far as I know, anything to do with Paino) hasn't got a serial number on it at all, which indicates to me it isn't a production bike in any conventional sense, but more likely a custom frame.
Interesting, I'll have to take a closer look at the frame next time I see the bike, see if I can find any hints as to its origin.

Cheers,
Matt

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:48 pm

Doing a bit of googling and I stumbled across some trademark information.

IP Australia has this record for Ultima
ULTIMA CYCLES with trademark number 594735 was lodged on 25/01/1993 and has a status of Lapsed/Not Protected. The applicant/owner of the trademark is registered as Frank Anthony Paino.

Which you can see here

He had also registered the Business name Chain Reaction in August 93.

On the Paino side of things There's an interview with Scott Taylor at sweat and gears
I had a custom built frame made by Frank Paino of Miranda in 1985. It had Columbus tubing fitted with Suntour Superb Pro and Mavic GP4 tubulars. My brother also had one made up to the same specks but with a Campagnolo 50th Anniversary ensemble. At around $2000 both were very expensive bikes for there time. Frank would build them at the back of his shop which took about a month.

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:28 pm

grantw wrote: ULTIMA CYCLES with trademark number 594735 was lodged on 25/01/1993 and has a status of Lapsed/Not Protected. The applicant/owner of the trademark is registered as Frank Anthony Paino.
Well, that's interesting. I always figured my own (not Paino, but cycles ultima) bike was earlier than 1993. Fascinating nonetheless and an impressive bit of detective work.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Trademark registration is effective for 10 years in Australia, so it's possible that the reference on IP Australia is for a second registration of the trademark and that Ultima was originally registered ten years earlier - so around 1983. That makes sense given the other bits of information to hand.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:24 am

WyvernRH wrote: Image
Gee that frame looks familiar.

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Loving these bikes.
Would love to pick one up one day.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:39 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Gee that frame looks familiar.
Yup that's the one...

Cheers
Richard

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:55 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:Gee that frame looks familiar.
Yup that's the one...

Cheers
Richard
It come up alright.

ammie7

Postby ammie7 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Yes the lathe mitre' is a very good indicator, as is the ball peine marks on the lugs. This was to save weight and add structural integrety. To have a tapered joint in a triangular structure, leaves all stress's equal in all directions.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Here's my beloved Paino. The pic was taken on a "Retro ride" last week, organised on this forum - Thanks to 'Saro28' for taking the pic.
It has some NOS Campag Super Record, correct for the vintage of the bike. I picked up the aero seat post and the headset on ebay also.
The frame was re-finished in Ford "Nitro" - XR6/8 light metallic Blue.
The Paino's stood out in the Shire, in my youth, as an 'object of desire'. I guess I always wanted one. When this one came in my direction, it was well used. It had a junky seatpost and saddle fitted, an old Tange headset and a very worn out Shimano 600 RD. The brakes, cranks and FD were Campy, so I decided to go with that as a theme for the bike.
When I stripped it, I was battling to find anyone with info, re/ replacement decals. In the end I had my brother help me with creating the artwork for the decals to be reproduced. Cyclomondo now have these decals on the website, for sale.
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:41 pm

Very nice Rebilda.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:51 pm

It's a good pic of a great bike rebilda. I am still smiling at your shoes having rainbow stripes to match the bike
Anything you can do, I can do slower

TJG

Postby TJG » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi all,
I'm working on a restoration of a Paino at the moment. The frame is stripped and ready for painting and I noticed some distinct differences in the frame compared to others. Specifically the absence of the 'P detail in the fork crown and words 'Paino' at the top of the Seat stays which have both been brazed-in (filled in) to hide them. I thought someone may know why. Most other detail is identical with Campag' and Columbus tubes and cast parts throughout. Its frame number 56.
Cheers, Tony

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:12 am

TJG wrote:Hi all,
I'm working on a restoration of a Paino at the moment. The frame is stripped and ready for painting and I noticed some distinct differences in the frame compared to others. Specifically the absence of the 'P detail in the fork crown and words 'Paino' at the top of the Seat stays which have both been brazed-in (filled in) to hide them. I thought someone may know why. Most other detail is identical with Campag' and Columbus tubes and cast parts throughout. Its frame number 56.
Cheers, Tony

As a kid I stripped down a locally sold bike I had. A Phillips/Philips? "Ultimate" , underthe paint were pantographed seat stays "ROSS". It was only body fill so I removed it. Found out recently.. 30 years later It was a Ross professional made in the states from Ishiwata. Even more confusing is that I've seen two other Phillips Ultimates recently and they are generic probably Japanese bikes painted EXACTLY like mine was but totally different bike. Point of the story is, I guess your was intended to be sold under another brand.

TJG

Postby TJG » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks for the notes elfoam. I think your probably right there. It's interesting that the detail in the fork crown has a zig zag shape unlike other paino's I've seen too. The other confusing aspect to this is that it previously had all the correct Paino and Columbus decals and a red to white faded paint scheme. Which is all consistent with the brand. I wondered if it may be a prototype model being only frame number 56?

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:52 pm

Interesting. Maybe the pantographing was not correct in some way and rather than ditch the parts he filled them. Your fork crown is interesting, havent seen that detail before.