Bottom Bracket/Spindle Troubles.

trackbikenoob

Bottom Bracket/Spindle Troubles.

Postby trackbikenoob » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:36 am

Hey everyone,

So recently I purchased a 1980 Cyclops 10 speed. I've completely stripped it down, have painted it, and am now in the process of putting it back together.
I'm up to putting the bottom bracket in, it seems the spindle is too long and can move from side to side, even when the cups are completely tightened.
I haven't changed anything with the bottom bracket, spindle or the cranks. Would anyone be able to lend me some knowledge/recommend something?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm only 16 and do not know much about the specifics of bicycles (especially bottom brackets)
Thanks,
James.

pentlandexile

Re: Bottom Bracket/Spindle Troubles.

Postby pentlandexile » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Welcome to the forum.

All I can think of is, are you using the right size ball bearings?

Oh, and Sheldon Brown is your friend

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbadj.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Long day's journey into alt-bars

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:32 pm

is the bottom bracket asymmetrical?
ie a does not equal c
what happens if you swapped it around?

barkmadly

Postby barkmadly » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:45 pm

I am with pentlandexile. Assuming you are reinstalling the original parts (cups and spindle) then make sure you are using 1/4" balls. Make sure the threads in the frame are clean too.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:40 am

Clydesdale Scot wrote:is the bottom bracket asymmetrical?
ie a does not equal c
what happens if you swapped it around?
This doesn't sound right as dimension B the length between bearing faces is a constant regardless of orientation. Installing the spindle backwards will probably have the small ring chewing lumps from the RH stay when the cranks are installed. Methinks the answer lies in the other two posts.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:03 pm

Sounds kinda like the ball bearings haven't made it back in... can you be more precise about how much play there is?

nigel1963

Postby nigel1963 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:09 pm

Hijacking:
Ever since I replaced the original cranks on my Raleigh Rapide with a set of Shimano 600 and a 112mm spindle Durace bottom bracket (both in about 1982), there has been about 3mm lateral offset in the cranks, to the right. Chain ring clearance to the chainstay is OK.
I recall that the Shimano 600 spindle gave a symetrical crank arrangement, but they ran pretty rough, hence the durace BB.
I'd thought I'd upgrade to a sealed bearing unit, and managed to convince myself that while I was at it a longer axle would fix the offset. Tried an TH Industries 118mm. Not smart, same lateral offset issue, both sides are just a little further out.
Is there some weirdness with these '600 cranks?
Suggestions please for a sealed BB that will give me symetrics cranks.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:25 am

I cant resolve your problem , but I just bought the 3rd edition Zinn repair book dealing with road bikes only, for the short time I've had it it seems chock full of problem solving. Less 20% from SBS Cycle Shop
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.